• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Directions to Altoona, PA :)

M

mantoronto

I am planning a trip at the end of May from the Niagara Falls,NY area to Altoona, PA. Never travelled through NY & PA in that direction and would love some suggestions of routes that you'd recommend.

I am in no rush so staying off any main highways and truck routes is my objective... a siteseeing trip is always best. Some nice scenic route with any suggstions on places to stop, eat, rest, visit would be appreciated. I'll be on my 2006 R1200RT with my 12 year old daughter riding with me.

Thanks
Mark

I am planning a trip at the end of May from the Niagara Falls,NY area to Altoona, PA. Never travelled through NY & PA in that direction and would love some suggestions of routes that you'd recommend.

I am in no rush so staying off any main highways and truck routes is my objective... a siteseeing trip is always best. Some nice scenic route with any suggstions on places to stop, eat, rest, visit would be appreciated. I'll be on my 2006 R1200RT with my 12 year old daughter riding with me.

Thanks
Mark

I love questions like this!

Not sure how to come down out of Niagara Falls but once down into PA I'd look for route 6 and come east on it all the way to Galeton, Pa.

From Galeton head south on 144 into Renovo, Pa.

Stay on 144 all the way south into Moshanon, Pa. and pick up rt. 53 south.

Follow 53 south to rt.36 in Asheville Pa. and then 36 south in to Altoona, Pa.

I live in Johnstown, Pa., about 45 minutes from Altoona, let me know if you need any other help. I'll also look at the map later and see if I can spice this route up a bit!

For what it's worth, I think Rt. 144 is the best 75 miles of riding in PA .

How much time do you have for site seeing? Any particular interest?

Jason

Looks like the shortest route

Streets and Trips says this is the shortest route - about 237 miles

4 1/2 hour ride

Attachments

• Altonna.jpg
    Altonna.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 104
GS Jay gives you a great route and I won't argue that PA 144 is great. If you don't want to go so far east you can try the following:
From Olean NY take NY 305 into PA. Take PA 446 to Eldred and visit the WW2 museum.

From Eldred take PA 440 South to PA 155
PA 155 South to Emporium.
From Emporium take PA 120 to St. Marys
From St. Marys take PA 255 to Dubois pick up PA 119 to
Punxsutawny and visit Phil.
At Punxy pick up PA 36 accross to Altoona.

GS Jay gives you a great route and I won't argue that PA 144 is great. If you don't want to go so far east you can try the following:
From Olean NY take NY 305 into PA. Take PA 446 to Eldred and visit the WW2 museum.

From Eldred take PA 440 South to PA 155
PA 155 South to Emporium.
From Emporium take PA 120 to St. Marys
From St. Marys take PA 255 to Dubois pick up PA 119 to
Punxsutawny and visit Phil.
At Punxy pick up PA 36 accross to Altoona.

Oh oh oh oh................Richard
yes another great route!
All good routes with some neat stops along the way!
jason

wow..thanks for the route...

thanks for the route...its a relaxing trip so any siteseeing suggestions would be great...we haven't had too much time to plan anything yet...but now that I have a start of a planned routed with your help my daughter and I will do some surfing on the web and I'll ask anything that is troublesome....

would appreciate any good rest stops or eating establishments along the way...just a relaxing three day trip with a stop in Altoona at The Penn State campus for saturday afternoon.

I definitely have some questions as the time gets closer...thanks a bunch

Wellsboro & other points of interest

I organized this event last year in Wellsboro, Pa. for the COG group.

http://www.concours.org/ne/ride_reports/2006/SpringFlingRally/index.htm

scroll to the last paragraph for some great links to attractions in and around Wellsboro PA and the Finger Lake Regions of NY.

also try this link that will give lots of info on Central Pa. including the Atloona region. There are even suggested motorcycle routes listed with hot links to all the attrations along the way.

http://www.thealleghenies.com/default.aspx

jason

To Altoona

GS jay is right on I live in Altoona and ride that route 6 and 144 in both directions a lot. While your in Altoona if you want any of 20 great day rides from 1 hour to 8 hours email me and I'll help or ride with you. We have some of the best rides any where that start within five minutes of Altoona.

Brettsue@verizon.net
814-931-8796

Back