Thread: Directions to Altoona, PA :)

mantoronto

Directions to Altoona, PA :)

I am planning a trip at the end of May from the Niagara Falls,NY area to Altoona, PA. Never travelled through NY & PA in that direction and would love some suggestions of routes that you'd recommend.

I am in no rush so staying off any main highways and truck routes is my objective... a siteseeing trip is always best. Some nice scenic route with any suggstions on places to stop, eat, rest, visit would be appreciated. I'll be on my 2006 R1200RT with my 12 year old daughter riding with me.

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by funsmile View Post
    I am planning a trip at the end of May from the Niagara Falls,NY area to Altoona, PA. Never travelled through NY & PA in that direction and would love some suggestions of routes that you'd recommend.

I am in no rush so staying off any main highways and truck routes is my objective... a siteseeing trip is always best. Some nice scenic route with any suggstions on places to stop, eat, rest, visit would be appreciated. I'll be on my 2006 R1200RT with my 12 year old daughter riding with me.

Thanks
    Mark
    I love questions like this!

Not sure how to come down out of Niagara Falls but once down into PA I'd look for route 6 and come east on it all the way to Galeton, Pa.

From Galeton head south on 144 into Renovo, Pa.

Stay on 144 all the way south into Moshanon, Pa. and pick up rt. 53 south.

Follow 53 south to rt.36 in Asheville Pa. and then 36 south in to Altoona, Pa.

I live in Johnstown, Pa., about 45 minutes from Altoona, let me know if you need any other help. I'll also look at the map later and see if I can spice this route up a bit!

For what it's worth, I think Rt. 144 is the best 75 miles of riding in PA .

How much time do you have for site seeing? Any particular interest?

Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Looks like the shortest route

Streets and Trips says this is the shortest route - about 237 miles

4 1/2 hour ride
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 on the 219
    Gar

GS Jay gives you a great route and I won't argue that PA 144 is great. If you don't want to go so far east you can try the following:
    From Olean NY take NY 305 into PA. Take PA 446 to Eldred and visit the WW2 museum.

From Eldred take PA 440 South to PA 155
    PA 155 South to Emporium.
    From Emporium take PA 120 to St. Marys
    From St. Marys take PA 255 to Dubois pick up PA 119 to
    Punxsutawny and visit Phil.
    At Punxy pick up PA 36 accross to Altoona.

Quote Originally Posted by rgvilla View Post
    GS Jay gives you a great route and I won't argue that PA 144 is great. If you don't want to go so far east you can try the following:
    From Olean NY take NY 305 into PA. Take PA 446 to Eldred and visit the WW2 museum.

From Eldred take PA 440 South to PA 155
    PA 155 South to Emporium.
    From Emporium take PA 120 to St. Marys
    From St. Marys take PA 255 to Dubois pick up PA 119 to
    Punxsutawny and visit Phil.
    At Punxy pick up PA 36 accross to Altoona.
    Oh oh oh oh................Richard
    yes another great route!
    All good routes with some neat stops along the way!
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

mantoronto

wow..thanks for the route...

thanks for the route...its a relaxing trip so any siteseeing suggestions would be great...we haven't had too much time to plan anything yet...but now that I have a start of a planned routed with your help my daughter and I will do some surfing on the web and I'll ask anything that is troublesome....

would appreciate any good rest stops or eating establishments along the way...just a relaxing three day trip with a stop in Altoona at The Penn State campus for saturday afternoon.

I definitely have some questions as the time gets closer...thanks a bunch

Wellsboro & other points of interest

I organized this event last year in Wellsboro, Pa. for the COG group.

http://www.concours.org/ne/ride_repo...ally/index.htm

scroll to the last paragraph for some great links to attractions in and around Wellsboro PA and the Finger Lake Regions of NY.

also try this link that will give lots of info on Central Pa. including the Atloona region. There are even suggested motorcycle routes listed with hot links to all the attrations along the way.

http://www.thealleghenies.com/default.aspx

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Brett

To Altoona

GS jay is right on I live in Altoona and ride that route 6 and 144 in both directions a lot. While your in Altoona if you want any of 20 great day rides from 1 hour to 8 hours email me and I'll help or ride with you. We have some of the best rides any where that start within five minutes of Altoona.

Brettsue@verizon.net
    814-931-8796