Thread: No BMWs in the Patriot Guard?

JWHITE518

No BMWs in the Patriot Guard?

This weekend I went to a funeral for a fallen soldier. It was my first attendance at a Patriot Guard event. There were about 40 motorcycles, composed of 39 metric and 'Merican cruisers and my BMW. I have to say I was disappointed that our brand was so absent. The PGR folks were mainly military types - current and vets - wearing a lot of biker-type regalia. But the vibe was very welcoming. I never felt uncomfortable at all - either because of my choice of motorcycle or my anti-Bush, anti-war beliefs. (Yes, it's possible to be against the war and still support the troops.) This is a good crowd, folks. If you're considering attending an event but not sure if you'll fit in, I say don't worry and go for it. It was a good experience. I feel like we made a difference for that man's family.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I have participated in the PGR. I was the only BMW and all I got were compliments on it. It was right after I got the new to me RT. There were Hareys, Jap harley clones and a Wing in addition to my bike. No one said anything but welcome and thanks for riding to show the family support for their soldier.

If anyone is interested in the PG group please look them over on their web site. It's a low key group and their focus is showing support for our fallen soldiers and to shield the family from the hemorhoids who think it's fun to protest and defame soldiers at their funerals.

All brands of bikes are welcome. It ain't what you ride, it's that you ride to honor the sacrifice of the soldier.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

belquar
    The first one I did there were only two of us. I have seen the other guy at every one I have been to. He rides a glacier green GT.

The last one I did was regrettably a while ago. Me and the same guy were the only two beemers there. Then right before we rolled out from the funeral home to the cemetery six other BMWs pulled up and joined the formation.

It is good to honor the women and men who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    I don't think BMW riders are any less patriotic than riders of other marques.

And it seems fairly common for BMW to be represented by only one or two bikes out of a hundred at such gatherings, whether it is PGR or anything else. There are just not as many beemer riders out there in the larger world of motorcycling.

Interestingly, on several occasions when I rode BMW's I somehow ended up in the company of Harley riders who treated me like one of their own. But riding the Wing, if I ride up and park with a group of HOGs I am looked at as if I have lost my mind. Strange...

Anyway, PGR is a great bunch!
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

I too have participated and a member of the PGR. The fellow PGR's have been so receptive.
    They are not looking for what brand bike you ride. By no means is this a motorcycle show. Being a PGR is to show support for a fallen brother or sister that has given the ultimate so we can be free.
    Most of the PGR's are veterans of past wars. It is our responsability to the family of a fallen troop to be laid to rest in peace. We are very peaceful and have zero tolerence for violence.
    It is a true honor to be part of the PGR. I am a 16 year veteran having served in both active Army and active Air Force. I am proud to have served my country in both Desert Shield and Enduring Freedom. Even though I am out of the military, I am and always be a soldier and an airman. I will serve my fallen bretheren when called upon.

Sincerely
    Pat Carol
    BMW Touring Club Detroit, Ambassador
    BMWMOAF, Past Director
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote
    2017 National Rally Co-Chair, Salt Lake City, Utah

hapamarine
    I'm a member here in Vegas but have only had the opportunity to attend one event in Henderson. I was the only BMR and got some stares when I first rode up. Had a bunch of HD's there and maybe one or two other types there but things got a lot more friendlier as things moved along.
    I'm a VietNam vet and truly support our troops no matter what the mission is. I don't want any of our vets to go through what the Nam guys did when they came home.
    Semper Fi and ride safe all..

Quote Originally Posted by hapamarine View Post
    I'm a member here in Vegas but have only had the opportunity to attend one event in Henderson. I was the only BMR and got some stares when I first rode up. Had a bunch of HD's there and maybe one or two other types there but things got a lot more friendlier as things moved along.
    I'm a VietNam vet and truly support our troops no matter what the mission is. I don't want any of our vets to go through what the Nam guys did when they came home.
    Semper Fi and ride safe all..
    Semper Fi and welcome home devil dog. Keep up the good work.

Bulldog

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I'm positive the low numbers of BMWs observed at PGR events is simply a reflection of the low numbers of BMWs observed on the streets and highways. No way is there a correlation between BMW ownership and not supporting the troops - or helping to keep the vultures away from protesting a soldier's funeral.

Ask any Harley rider to identify the specific parts on their bike that were made in the USA and which were made in Mexico, or China.

There is no such thing as an American bike (except maybe for custom choppers) - but we're all Americans, whether we ride or not.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

JWHITE518
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    I'm positive the low numbers of BMWs observed at PGR events is simply a reflection of the low numbers of BMWs observed on the streets and highways. No way is there a correlation between BMW ownership and not supporting the troops - or helping to keep the vultures away from protesting a soldier's funeral.
    That's what I would like to believe too.

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post

Ask any Harley rider to identify the specific parts on their bike that were made in the USA and which were made in Mexico, or China.

There is no such thing as an American bike (except maybe for custom choppers) - but we're all Americans, whether we ride or not.
    It's true, H-D's are 83% Made in the USA
    Goldwings are 87% Made in the USA
    However the FTC won't let Honda tag their bikes as Made in the USA!
    I've done some PGR and there were other Beemers there, including an LT pilot pal from my CMA chapter.