• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should I worry about my stuff getting stolen at the rally?

U

Unregistered

Camping at MOA Rallys

I'm planning to attend the rally in Spokane next July. I'm new to motorcycling and am looking forward to my first rally. I am getting geared up for motorcycle camping and I have a question about camping at the rally. After you've set up the tent and unpacked everything, what's to keep local thieves from helping themselves to my nice "stuff" while I'm away enjoying the rally ?

Campground security ?

Re: Camping at MOA Rallys

Unregistered said:
After you've set up the tent and unpacked everything, what's to keep local thieves from helping themselves to my nice "stuff" while I'm away enjoying the rally ?

Campground security ?

There are volunteers, riders like yourself, who provide entrance security. The MOA does not admit day passes. So, if you're ripped off it's at least by fellow riders or someone who coughed up enough for $ for the rally fee. Does that make you feel better?

MarkF

P.S. If it has value keep it locked in your saddlebags.

Unregistered said:
I'm planning to attend the rally in Spokane next July. I'm new to motorcycling and am looking forward to my first rally. I am getting geared up for motorcycle camping and I have a question about camping at the rally. After you've set up the tent and unpacked everything, what's to keep local thieves from helping themselves to my nice "stuff" while I'm away enjoying the rally ?

Campground security ?

That's what I liked about all the other rally's I've been to before Charleston. The only people around were the attendees! Your bike & tent are almost in eyesight at all times! Nobody wandering around looking for souvenir's:brow

Unregistered said:

Campground security ?

As Mark has said there is some security, but my experience has been that you could leave your wallet on your motorcycle and it will either be there when you get back or at the lost and found. In general your stuff is pretty safe at a BMW rally.

To quote a friend of mine: "You're among friends here."

Just keep your tent zipped and you dont' have much to worry about. You'll see bikes parked with riding gear, tank bags, helmets and GPSs unattended.

Stolen Stuff???

The only time I've ever heard of any thing being stolen at a BMW Rally was at Charleston When a very FEW riders thought it would be nice to camp under the bridge instead of where it was laid out to camp. This was at 'Magic Island'. The Homeless that lived under the bridge Thought it was really "MAGIC" when they were given such a gift of Sleeping bags, Thermorest, Tents. Stoves, Etc.. Stay with the Group and you should have no problem.
Ride Well, Ride Safe
Bones
See ya there!;)

Last edited:
I've been attending our International Rallies since 1979. I have never experienced any pilfering. It is very rare that you even hear of someone having something stolen. The grounds are fenced, access is controlled and volunteers provide excellent security. I'd say the odds of your house getting burglaized are probably better!:D

Hawk Hawthorne
President
BMW MOA

:brow Yep, you're stuff is probably safer at a BMW rally than strapped on your bike at a gas station while you go to relieve yourself.

Occasionally there is a light fingered fellow BMW rider who can't resist the urge to pilfer, but that's rare.

What you can do to help--and have a lot of fun in the process--is volunteer for gate duty. Just sign up for duty after you arrive at the site and register. You'll get a great view of all the bikes and people coming and going, you'll probably get a souvenir shirt or hat as a "thank you" and you know you're doing something for security.

OK, if you're a control freak, you can hold up the line and demand that everyone, even Hawk show his arm band for the sixteenth time in the same hour, because NO ONE, not even the president gets in MY gate without showing an arm band.

At the RA rally a few years ago when the police were hassling rallygoers, I was manning a gate when a patrol car showed up to drive through the grounds. I walked out, stopped them, and required them to identify themselves, then signaled them to proceed. Hey, the gate folks are in control here. :bliss

So, by all means go to the rally, have fun, and don't worry.

pmdave

YO! pmdave...you are absolutely right...always make Hawk show his arm band. =8>P

Happy Holidays!!!

Chuck Manley #12106
Director, BMW MOA

So, what was the outcome???

pmdave said:
At the RA rally a few years ago when the police were hassling rallygoers, I was manning a gate when a patrol car showed up to drive through the grounds. I walked out, stopped them, and required them to identify themselves, then signaled them to proceed.

So was that the debacle at Fontana Resort in September of 1997?

I remember reading a couple of articles in different magazines about that effort by North Carolina law enforcement talent. Did anything result from the complaints to North Carolina authorities, the Governor's office or NC state and federal representatives - like any kind of written apology to RA and its members??

I haven't read a word about it since December of '97....just wondering if there were additional details available. :confused:

/5 Tourer:

Oh, yeh, there were repercussions from Fontana. The Gestapo tactics of the Sheriff were not appreciated by the locals. He was removed from office and word I got was he committed suicide.

Hawk Hawthorne
President
BMW MOA

PS to PM: You better make me show my armband...no one is above the law!!
:p

Been to more than 10 of these, and never had a problem. (But then I don't leave $100 bills lying around either. )

Go, be reasonable, and enjoy.

I have seen at various rallies where fellow campers keep an eye out for their surroundings, and have been known to put stuff into tents and close them up if the weather got bad. I have seen where people try to sell items by placing them at/on their site or bike, and the items are sold without a face-to-face meeting taking place. The money is left on the bike, or a neighbor takes charge. I customarily leave the key in the bike, the tankbag is there, and nothing has ever walked. We all watch out for each other. There's nothing you have that I can't get any other way, except your ideas, camaraderie, and acceptance of me as I am. Let's share a beer, or just some time, at a rally. Look out for me, I'll be on the BMW motorcycle!

BMW rallys are the only gatherings of motorcyclists where half the bikes have the keys left in the ignition!

I would bet that most the bikes still have the keys in the ignition! Along with a thousand dollars plus worth of riding gear draped over the seat.

rally notes

A. I've never removed the key from my bike at a BMW Rally...since 1978. No need to.

B. At a Dinky Dozen rally years ago, I remember we were calling out the name of a guy who'd managed to leave his Visa Gold Card at a vendor. We found him.

C. If you go skinny-dipping there IS a chance you might find
your clothes missing. They'll be at your tent.

D. If you're at the Falling Leaf Rally there is a chance someone
will try and swipe a burning log for their own campfire. Make them pay for it in beer.

Mac

I rode to the Trenton ONT rally and had to stop 15 mins short of the rally to help a lady out who ran her /2 out of gas. As we were pushing her bike up the driveway of a house to get the bike off the road a dog came out and bit her, pretty badly. Rather than go to the hospital, she asked me to ride her to the rally where her husband was. Anyway, after getting her there and back to her spouse I registered and then left my wallet and Nikon camera on top of the seat of my R100GS. I blame that on being rattled but I'm probably just getting old. Absolutely oblivious, I walked around for several hours before missing my wallet and camera. In a panic, I ran back to my bike and SURE ENUFF, my wallet and camera were right where I had left them. I'm sure many folks had the opportunity to take my stuff - after many rallies I'm pretty sure that you're stuff, with some reasonable care on yourr part, is safe. BMW rally folks are OK.

stolen stuff

The only time in twenty years of rallying that I've heard of anything being stolen was at the 2003 Top of the Rockies. The staff decided to invite the townfolk to attend the rally and they reciprocated by stealing a campers saddle bags and some personal belongings. Never did get anything back.

Back