• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can you spot the safety violation?

burnszilla

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUvX-10Zhuw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUvX-10Zhuw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I didn't see it.

Gotta admit I missed the one they pointed out. But it looks like, in the very beginning, the guy starts out washing the tire tread, which I would think could leave a soapy film where you don't want it.

The girl has no eye protection when they leave the driveway at the end?

Edit: I guess she never had eye protection at all. :D

I missed the eye protection thing. I wear a full face helmet, however.

I did spot two other "issues", if you want to be picky:

At around 3:40 remaining, two bikes are on the highway running side by side.

At around 3:05 remaining, and towards the end, I think they left their feet down too long before putting them up on the pegs. I always thought you should get them up ASAP, as once you're moving you can really screw up a knee that way.

4 other safety violations.

1. The two bikes that were side by side early in the video were way too close to each other. When the one swerved he barely missed the bike to the right and behind him.

2. When the girl rode off with the boy on the back the passenger had his feet down for way too long. Very unsafe!

3. When they returned he again had his feet down.

4. When the two left with the guy in front, the girl also had her feet down way too long.

You should always have the passenger put their feet on the pegs until getting on and off the bike.

Lastly, their gear was near laughable!

Jim :brow

Feet up on the hi-way pegs? Why bother having back breaks. Half helmets, good grief!

It also looks like BikerBob blows thru a stop sign during the left turn part and is doing just a bit past the speed limit while riding in the neighborhood.

And the feet down thing, how long have they been riding? 5 minutes?

They violated known cheese factor thresholds in the script?

I missed the eye protection, too.... I was too amazed that ABATE recommeded the use of helmets.

I caught the eye protection item, also noticed the passenger with feet down. Great way for the passenger to earn a swift kick. Also noticed that they're washing a brand new bike. Wasn't it clean from the dealer? I'll have to think about washing my bike sometime, if it doesn't rain first.And all this safety talk coming from ABATE, has something changed from when I was a member?

They violated known cheese factor thresholds in the script?

I missed the eye protection, too.... I was too amazed that ABATE recommeded the use of helmets.

Great Ian, great!
z7shysterical.gif

I was mesmerized by the superimposition of a car over a motorcycle....
blink.gif

People mentioned the feet down by the passenger. I'm not sure there were even passenger foot pegs on the bike, although it's hard to tell. I think it would be a "natural" thing to bring them up to foot pegs. In the end, when the girl is on the back, and she's supposedly an experienced rider, she didn't even go for the pegs immediately.

Kurt in S.A.

Not only was it ABATE, it was ILLINOIS ABATE. Those guys hate helmets.

When I was a member of the Chicago chapter, sometimes the only way the president could get everyone to settle down for the meeting was to "threaten to close the bar down." That got everyone's attention in a hurry. :laugh

Abate

I was a member of IL ABATE and presented programs to driver's ed classes using this video. My observations, in case you're interested:

1. Our local chapter has been giving presentations to area high schools for over 10 years, and have introduced ourselves to over 10,000 students. That's 10,000 new drivers that may now look twice and save a life.
2. Every presentation included a discussion of safety equipment, including proper footwear, pants, jackets, gloves, eye protection, and helmets. We had an old helmet we would bounce off the floor to make the point that any impact would require an inspection and replacement. We strongly encouraged proper training and equipment for passengers, especially girlfriends who may not be properly attired to ride at a moment's notice.
3. Every presentation included information on the Rider Safety Course offered in our area, and any interested student could pick up a brochure.
4. Every presentation used the Hurt report to discourage the practice of drinking and driving or drinking and riding.
5. The fundamental mission was that education was more effective than legislation, and that educating new drivers pays off more than new laws.

Are there more radical chapters of ABATE? Certainly. Are the Illinois chapters active in the anti-helmet debate? Absolutely. Whether or not I agree with the politics of the organization, I completely agree that the safety and education program is one of the best tools we have to make the roads safer. The guy I worked with was the perfect stereotype of a hd rider. He also was a motorcyle nut and we had many discussions about my bmw and his harley in class.

(By the way, we used this exact video. No eye protection, no passenger footpegs.)

DRoss

Vindication

Interesting video. I must admit, I did not catch their "major violation" either. I did catch a number of people changing lanes without signaling.

It's interesting to note that according to the AMA, on-road eye protection is not required in California or Texas. This really seems odd.

Easy :german

Last edited:
:wave Squirrely neighbor never changed into a long sleeve shirt (First set of rules the girl utters).

You are all wrong

Their pipes wern't loud enough to save thir lives.

Back