• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Guy Gear

J

JByerly

I am looking for gear, other than traditional leather, that would fit a man who wears a 50-52 coat w/a 46 inch waist. Anyone have any experiences along this line.
Thanks
Jerry

I am looking for gear, other than traditional leather, that would fit a man who wears a 50-52 coat w/a 46 inch waist. Anyone have any experiences along this line.
Thanks
Jerry

I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro coat and HT air over pants. I wear a size 56 coat and 44 waist.

I would suggest finding a store to try them on before buying them.

Roy

Hey Jerry,
Welcome to the funhouse :thumb

I think you'll find a good deal of recommendations for the First Gear combos as well as the oft-talked about Aerostich Roadcrafter, both of which afford excellent fit and protection for all sizes and especially, larger sized guys.

Thanks
Jerry

same boat (but its a big boat) and since losing weight doesn't seem to be an option for me....

give aerostitch a call
also try firstgear stuff

my old xxl darian coat fits me pretty decent, news ones are supposed to be bigger

pants are kinda tough I have a "big, big, big" pair of darian in a size they no longer make , and also a set of first gear vented pants not sure of size

I'm 6', 240#, 40" waist, 48" chest. I fit perfectly in my size 50R Aerostich Roadcrafter. It's a little roomy in case I want to wear a fluffy fleece jacket under it for additional insulation. It keeps me plenty warm without any additional insulation down to about 40 degrees. Below 40 degrees I'll want to add the 400 wt. fleece jacket. Otherwise it's warm enough just wearing street clothes beneath the suit. Come warmer weather, you'll want shorts and t-shirts under your 'Stich, unless you're brave/crazy enough to ditch the 'Stich when it's warm and dry.

My experience with Aerostich customer service is that they're not satisfied until you're completely satisfied. There are lots of customized fit options available on their suits, and they'll work with you to get your suit to fit you. I highly recommend going to a reputable tailor and have him/her write down your exact measurements. Then give those measurements to the customer service rep and they'll either find the off the rack suit that fits you or they'll make one that fits you. You'll want to make sure any suit fits well, as you want the armor to be in the right place should you ever find yourself in an unfortunate situation where you require the protection of your suit.

....as noted elsewhere, try gear on wherever possible. Why I Believe This: We imported some jackets and racing suits from Pakistan. Absolutely excellent material and workmanship. You could slide a very long way in this stuff. Anyway, the problem that we encountered was significant size variance. We have 52 and 54s which are really about 44/46. The racing suits are great for a 5'10" frame, 140 lbs and is moderately short waisted. (BTY some still for sale:laugh ) -Bob

But of course trying stuff on isn't possible with mail order businesses like Aerostich. That's why you'll become good friends with your friendly local FedEx driver as you ship the suit back and forth working on it to get that perfect fit - but once you've obtained that perfect fit, you'll have a suit that will last you the rest of your life - or will need to be repaired or replaced after saving your life. For whatever it's worth, Aerostich says their suits should withstand road rash up to 70 mph, and require only minor repairs to become good as new again. Wish I could say the same for my bike!

Thanks
Jerry

You're about like me. I have good textile jackets in 2X or 3X from Tourmaster, Fieldsheer, and First Gear, along with a 1 piece 'stich suit. First Gear has some good overpants up to 48 inch waist and they are sized very generously. You'd probably fit in a 44. New Enough and Motorcyclecloseouts usually have good prices.

i tried on gear for months before buying...

im 6 foot 44 inch waist 56 inch chest 290 pounds...

with a squattly 30 inch inseam while being 6 foot tall.. i have to get tall uppers for the proper fit...

i discoved tourmaster xxl tall jackets at a bike shop and was sold... xxl being slightly snug with the liners zipped in i decided the xxxl tall would be the way to go...

i ordered a mesh jacket with both a water and thermal liner for spring summer fall riding... its a cortech gx air jacket with minimal leather padding and lots of sleeve and waist adjustment...

it is a home run for me... absolutely perfect fit...

http://www.newenough.com/cortech_gx_air_jacket_with_leather_page.htm

my pants are the same gx air xxxl but they are no longer available... however i think the tourmaster hrx pants are their new ones... not sure about the fit because i have not seen any in person...

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3&cat=26

6'2", 265lbs, 56 chest, 40 waist. Techniks jacket works great. Good arm length for knuckle draggers. Joe Rocket pants, easy on, easy off. Lots of armour for protection in both products.Lower back problem at the time of purchase for riding pants was a major consideration.

Woodgrain

Back