• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

exhaust options R1100RT

TINCOCODRIE

Hi Group
I'm new and have a few questions for all.
I have a 98 R1100RT with less than 15,000 miles. I live in Cocodrie La and exhaust got salt water inside during hurricane Rita. It's rusting from the inside out. I can replace with used stock system or aftermarket. I've seen many comments on aftermarket and will spend a few dollars for a good system. I would like a healthier sound but not overly loud. Ztechnik and Staintune seem to have the best reviews. Anyone have anything bad to say about these systems? What about Remus?
I need maximum corrosion resistance due to heavy salt air down here.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with Autolite plugs in lieu of stock plugs?

Ditto for synthetic versus regular oil? I switched to BMW synthetic and a mechanic told me I should stick with standard high quality oil.

With this age, mileage and model bike do I need to worry about the spline lube problem?

If anyone ever gets down this far south the fishing's great

thks
T in Cocodrie

I have the same model RT. With the mileage you have on it it is just broke in. However if salt water got up high enough to get in the exhaust I would drain all liquids and check for contamination with water. I would also check the rear boot for oil seepage, showing water could get past the seal. if I found it I might pull the drive shaft to inspect it for water. if you don't find water anywhere except in the exhaust you are probably okay. I have kept a stock exhaust. I have a Remus on my GS and don't really like the extra noise. But that is personal. Dino vs. synthetic iis much the same- personal opinion.

Last edited:
Autolites work great, cost a buck, and help to reduce surging. You might have to replace them a little more often, but at that price it is no big deal!

Jim :brow

Cocodrie

thks guys
as soon as the water went down after Rita I drained all liquids, removed both wheels, installed new brake pads, new brake fluid, pulled boot from drive shaft and there was water inside. I have not removed drive shaft but will look inside with a mirror and see how it looks.
I gave the bike a pretty going over last winter and haven't driven it much since.
I think all is well with the bike but will keep a cose eye on things this spring.
I have been in contact with the Beemerboneyard and they have one system for sale.
if anyone else has a stock muffler system in like new conditon for sale let me know.
Put the Autolites in and it seems to run a little better. I'll give it a complete tune up in the next month or so.
thks again
T in Cocodrie

aftermarket exhaust

I replaced my stock exhaust with a Laser pipe and computer chip. I have the stock exhaust if you are interested in it. It is in like new condition and I will sell it to you cheap. If you are interested send me an e-mail. brunos1dad@sbcglobal.net

Back