• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FD Fluid Change Pictorial

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
After finding out that the 07 R1200 series bikes will require an oil change at 600 miles, I decided to change my 05 "permanent" oil now, at 20K miles, just in case.

Here are the steps:
01-the-start.jpg

1. Remove the fender (GS models only).
02-removed-fender.jpg

2. Remove the rear wheel.
03-removed-wheel.jpg

3. Unbolt the Brake Caliper and hang it with some wire to the frame.
04-caliper-bolt-with-fender.jpg

05-caliper-off-and-hung.jpg

4. Remove the rear speed sensor, both screws and the clip, and hang it with the brake caliper.
06-speed-sensor-removal.jpg

07-speed-sensor-clip.jpg

08-speed-sensor.jpg

09-speed-sensor-removal.jpg

5. Remove oil drain plug, and drain off the oil.
013-drain-plug.jpg

6. Release the paralink at the rear and support the final drive with a strap (it's now flopped down, with the fill plug at the bottom) I didn't do this; I just held it in place for a couple minutes. The drive shaft comes out easily, but you may need to push it down a bit to get it to relaese.
011-Torque-arm-bolt.jpg

012-Torque-arm-nut.jpg

014-draining.jpg

015-pull-TA-bolt.jpg

016-hanging-FD.jpg

017-hanging-all-the-way.jpg

7. Clean the drive shaft and FD input shaft, then add Moly 60, or equivalent lube, to the shaft and splines.
018-splines-exposed.jpg

019-lube-splines.jpg

Continued...

8. Install the rubber gaiter, pivot the rear-wheel drive up and introduce the bevel-pinion shaft into the universal shaft. If necessary, turn the FD gently back and forth to facilitate this operation. (This is made way easier if you have the bike in neutral. I took half an hour to figure this out, and it still took a few minutes)
020-FD-back-in-place.jpg

9. Reconnect the paralever link. (Install the bolt and torque it down to 43 nm.
021-install-the-TA-Bolt.jpg

10. Clip the gaiter back in place.
11. Put the drain plug back in, after you clean it and put some oil on the O-ring.
022-Lube-and-install-plug.jpg

12. Fill the final drive with oil via the speed sensor hole, with .22 liters of oil. (Do it VERY slowly. The oil will not go in fast, and will come back out the hole and run all over the place. DAMHIK)
023-add-gear-oil.jpg

13. Grease the speed sensor O-ring and put it in the final drive, followed by the greased speed sensor and then install the screw, the clamp screw, and the clip.
024-Lube-and-install-speed-.jpg

14. Install the caliper, remember to reinstall the fender holder on the lower bolt.
025-Install-brake-caliper.jpg

15. Install the wheel, torque it to 60nm.
026-Install-wheel.jpg

16. Install the rear fender (GS only), and make sure to start all three screws before tightening them down.

Tools needed:
027-tools.jpg

?À 16mm Socket and ratchet
?À Torx Sockets:
o T-50, T-45, T-30, T-25
?À 3/8ÔÇØ 3ÔÇØ extension
?À ??ÔÇØ 6ÔÇØ extension, depending on your Torx socket set
?À Torque Wrench
?À Flat blade screw driver
?À Measuring cup

Supplies:
?À Paper Towels, lots of them
?À Synthetic gear oil, 75/140
?À Honda Moly 60 grease
?À Q-tip
?À Bolt holder
?À Wire, or coat hanger

035-oil-old.jpg

Here is the old oil. It was definitely darker than the new, but not bad for 20K miles. There were no shavings in the old oil, and the little amount of fuzz on the speed sensor was negligible.

I am very glad I did it, and will be doing my GFÔÇÖs 12ST next week, along with a couple others at our tech day.

Overall it should take less than an hour, and is not too bad. Just make sure you have all the tools you need, and plenty of paper towels!

Jim :brow

Jim, from those of us less mechanically inclined, your pics and narrative are great, and really get me to thinking I should be doing more wrenching. (Not at the expense of riding, of course!) :thumb

Hi Dan,

I totally agree, I need more riding and less wrenching on other people's bikes!:thumb

Jim :brow

PS I goofed, this should be in Hexheads.

Back