• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Little Cool on the K75RT

S

SLBateman

I have a new to me 1990 K75RT. The last KRT I rode would almost melt my feet off - this one seems to have the opposite problem. It looks as if someone has installed baffles inside the lower fairing to block the heat from coming through. This may be good for Summer but I need to remove them for now. My owner's manual does not cover the RT model so there's no info on the fairing. What's the best way to get to these baffles to remove them?

There are several screws that hold the "knee pad" in position on an RT.. if you remove these - the pads come out and you should be able to see the baffles (if they are the stock rubber ones.)

The knee pads are #15 in: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0573&mospid=47906&btnr=46_0120&hg=46&fg=45 - There are two screws at the top under the latch assembly for the glovebox lids, and one screw at the bottom.

The baffle you refer to may be #3 in: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0573&mospid=47906&btnr=46_0124&hg=46&fg=45

The one on the right side (from memory) is a foam block that can easily be removed. PN#18 in the same drawing.

HTH,

The left side is very easy once you get in there. The right side baffle screws to the lower fairing, you will need an offset screwdriver (and some patience).

While you are in there have a look at the fairing mounting brackets. I found one broken when I went in to remove the baffles on mine.

My 87 K100RT came with the solid black knee pads. I added the little flipout vents that came on later K75RTs and 100 LTs, at the same time I added the vented knee pads. The flipout vents, I think was a waste of time but the ability to change out the knee pads has some value. I run the solid knee pads in summer to block the heat and the slotted(vented) knee pads to allow the engine heat to get to my lower extremities in winter as a passive heater.

My 90 75KRT flip out vent worked great in the summertime. I noticed the difference very easily. It was still hot but the vent helped.

It might be a good idea to cut a hole in the windshield and use one of those friction hold covers on it. You close it for winter then open the vent in the windshield (like an old Vetter windshield) for the summer. Some aircraft still use the same type of opening and cover.

Remove the lowers.....

to stay cool. I took my lower fairing parts off along with the shin pads to vent the heat and it really works well. Just fabbed up a couple of struts to hold the upper in position and also the left side of the radiator surround. Right side of the radiator surround wire tied easily to the radiator itself--black ties can't be ssen from 5 feet away....I'll try to attach a couple of pics....whoops, they're already in another thread so look at them there.....

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=10023

I wrapped the top of the side struts with some black foam insulation tape called "Rubatex" to take the edge off where my knees tuck in. The whole conversion process only takes about an hour now that I have the struts fabbed up--try it, you'll like it!

My bike is a 90 K75RT
my kneepads have the long narrow vertical slots. I plugged them by inserting a length of black rubber hose cut to length to fit each slot. The diameter of the hose is slightly larger than the venting slot. Press fit has held them in for years. The hose was purchased by the foot at a local hardware store. It reminds me of windshield washer hose. Prettier than the duct tape I was using. Small price, small project, small improvement.
A used electric windshield made a considerable difference in confort level. Much larger price, much larger project, bigger improvement.
Even with the adjustable windshield it still can be an unconfortably hot ride. I also removed the fairing lowers for summer riding. AHHHHH, PERFECT!

Mark

Back