Thread: One Sunday at Luckenbach

Mudbug

One Sunday at Luckenbach

February 4, the Sunday of the Superbowl, Paul and Voni Glaves showed up in Luckenbach. I got a picture of Voni but not Paul.
    Last edited by Mudbug; 02-04-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: picture not displaying

RandallIsland
    What's Luckenbach?

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallIsland View Post
    What's Luckenbach?
    Little town near Fredrickburg, TX, population 7, consisting of a dance hall, BBQ hut, outhouse, and a GeneralStore/Post Office/Bar. Used to have a blacksmith shop and old cotton gin, but the floods washed them away one year. Owned by the late "imagineer" Hondo Crouch, who is immortalized on a bust outside, was made famous by the likes of Willie and Waylon, and Jerry Jeff Walker.....gotta know country music for that one. Now a weekend (and weekday) motorcycle hangout, with live country music on Saturday nights in the open air dance hall. If you haven't been there, you need to go.

Small town outside of Fredericksburg,TX and north of San Antonio...
    made famous ( sort of) in Jerrry Jeff Walker album of same name in the 70's. All roads lead to Luckenbach!

it's a destination ride for lot's of riders on weekends, all play well together here!

Robert,
    were Paul & Vonnie two up on Chuck's "Yeller" bike? They were in San Antonio area for weekend, but we didn't make it south from Austin to meet up w/group

www.luckenbachtexas.com
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    Little town near Fredrickburg, TX, population 7, consisting of a dance hall, BBQ hut, outhouse, and a GeneralStore/Post Office/Bar. Used to have a blacksmith shop and old cotton gin, but the floods washed them away one year. Owned by the late "imagineer" Hondo Crouch, who is immortalized on a bust outside, was made famous by the likes of Willie and Waylon, and Jerry Jeff Walker.....gotta know country music for that one. Now a weekend (and weekday) motorcycle hangout, with live country music on Saturday nights in the open air dance hall. If you haven't been there, you need to go.
    Don't forget the washer pitching "arena"!! And I don't mean Maytag...

Kurt in S.A.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Don't forget the washer pitching "arena"!! And I don't mean Maytag...

Kurt in S.A.
    An absolutely riviting competition.......

Mudbug
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

Robert,
    were Paul & Vonnie two up on Chuck's "Yeller" bike? They were in San Antonio area for weekend, but we didn't make it south from Austin to meet up w/group

www.luckenbachtexas.com
    Yes. The yellow R1100R.

Mudbug
    Some how, I managed to create two postings with the same name.

Luckenbach, Texas is a quaint destination and hangout for motorcyclists especially on the weekends. It was made famous by Waylon Jennings in his song "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)". See Luckenbach, Texas

The official scoop is that the population of Luckenbach is 3. Actually there are a few more than that but nobody's counting. The town was bought by Hondo Couch in 1970. "An ad in the paper offering "town شاِ pop. 3 شاِ for sale" led Hondo Crouch, rancher and Texas folklorist, to buy Luckenbach for $30,000 in 1970, in partnership with Kathy Morgan and actor Guich Koock. " More on Luckenbach can be found in the The Handbook of Texas On-Line

Luckenbach is a great place to stop for a while and listen to FREE music. Like the movie the "Blues Brothers" there are both kinds of music, Country and Western. And it don't cost a dime.

With some online help here at the MOA web site, I finally learned to post pictures that are not attachments.

You never know who you will meet at Luckenbach.

Here is Voni Glaves in from of the old Post Office, General Store, and Bar.

Here is picture inside the bar.

And here is a shot of the front of the old Post Office, General Store, and Bar.

Great fun meeting you, Mudbug. Great pictures too.

Started the day at 36.8 degrees. By the time we got to Luckenbach it was 65 and sunny!
    Great day for a ride! Chuck was kind to loan us his extra bike. What fun! Great roads ; )

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Mudbug
    It was a great day to ride. I bit too cold for my warm blooded southern self but I could not resist. For the past few weeks I was staying inside due to extreme allergic reaction to cedar pollen. The cedar pollen season in central Texas is from mid December to February. Cold windy days are the worst of all. But last Sunday, the pollen count was down, the sun was out, and it warmed up a bit.

I enjoyed meeting Voni and Paul who until Sunday, I only knew from the forum.

RandallIsland
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    By the time we got to Luckenbach it was 65 and sunny!
    Great day for a ride!
    Voni
    sMiling
    I'm so jealous! Texas for me is a huge trip, and I don't just mean distance.
    Someday soon, when I can truly expect to retain a spiritual center across the state.

Best!
    -R

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
    It was a great day to ride. I bit too cold for my warm blooded southern self but I could not resist. For the past few weeks I was staying inside due to extreme allergic reaction to cedar pollen. The cedar pollen season in central Texas is from mid December to February. Cold windy days are the worst of all. But last Sunday, the pollen count was down, the sun was out, and it warmed up a bit.

I enjoyed meeting Voni and Paul who until Sunday, I only knew from the forum.
    MAN! Wish I had been there.....would love to meet them, and you, too, Mudbug. Luckenbach is one of my favorite day trip destinations. (I'm a real fan of Jerry Jeff) Just hasn't been quite the same, however, since Marge died. But, we must carry on.....

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    (I'm a real fan of Jerry Jeff) ....
    Back in the 70's I was in college in Ames, Iowa. Willie Nelson and Jerry Jeff played a great concert at Hilton Coliseum in the middle of a bitterly cold (like in the teens Below zero) spell in February. We had front row seats and really enjoyed the show. Afterwards, my brother-in-law and I cruised down to the Holiday Inn where the entertainers were staying, went into the bar, and Jerry Jeff and Willie were sitting at a table together, with the only other customers being members of their entourage. Willie waved us over and invited us to join them. We ordered up a bottle of Black Jack and sat there for the next couple of hours sipping Tennessee whisky and telling stories. It was truly a memorable evening for us.
    Jerry Jeff came back to Ames a couple of years later and did a small concert in one of the larger bar/dance halls. He is really a one of a kind artist (as is Willie)