Thread: BMW Crash Bars

HONDARIDER

BMW Crash Bars

I just installed some BMW crashbars on my 1150GS and I'm puzzled by the cross bar that ties the two sides together. Can anyone tell me why the bar is asymetrical? I don't see any component which requires additional clearance but the shape of the bar allows for more space on one side than the other. I bought the bars used and they seem to be in perfect condition with no blemishes. The bolted up with no alignment issues but the crossbar has me scratching me head. Has anybody else detected this?

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Not to hijack the thread.

Can you retro fit the RT-P style crashbars (front) on a regular RT?

It would help out quite a bit on tie downs for transporting the bike. I spent a fun 2.5 hours yesterday figuring out how to get the bike on the back of the truck. I can do it but it's not really as good a method as my old K bike was. It will also be hard on the tie downs.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

srb
    Is it because the jugs sit fore and aft??

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    I just installed some BMW crashbars on my 1150GS and I'm puzzled by the cross bar that ties the two sides together. Can anyone tell me why the bar is asymetrical? I don't see any component which requires additional clearance but the shape of the bar allows for more space on one side than the other. I bought the bars used and they seem to be in perfect condition with no blemishes. The bolted up with no alignment issues but the crossbar has me scratching me head. Has anybody else detected this?
    This is normal, mine were on the Adventure as OEM and I noticed this and tried it both ways. One has less space than the other way on mine but either way I like the additional space for that day down the lanes when I drop it.

The correct position for BMWGS crashbars is on ebay. That's what I determined after my first oil change with them.

JON

HONDARIDER
    LOL...I know exactly what you're talking about...the notion crossed my mind as I was doing the installation...that's a lot of pieces to remove in order to get to the oil filter and drain plug...bummer.

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by srb View Post
    Is it because the jugs sit fore and aft??
    This has to be a former Navy person or a hearing chokah But he is right the left cyl. is aprox.2.5" a head of the other at lest on a glance ( but what do I know my GSa is 10' away in my living room) And boy is it cold but I did see a (jap.) inport out today (that was me at one time but kid can't do that)Some day it sucks being a singel farther But DO IT ALL OVER AGIN X1,000,000 times