• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo 550 Mount

easy

I went to the hardware store and got a u bolt that had threads about 1/2 inch longer and mounted it on the right handlebar. I ran the wiring directly to the battery. It is very visible, doesn't block vision of instruments and I did not need to drill any holes in the dash. It works great.

Easy :german

Wiring to battery

Easy,
I am able to mount the Zumo fine and also want to wire directly to the battery.
The wire ends are very fine (not sure of gauge) . How did you do this -bend the wires and double them up and then solder to a ring style connector?

Thanks

Doug

Easy,
I am able to mount the Zumo fine and also want to wire directly to the battery.
The wire ends are very fine (not sure of gauge) . How did you do this -bend the wires and double them up and then solder to a ring style connector?

Thanks

Doug

I had my dealer install a Centech fuse block. The fuse block is turned off automatically after the key goes off. I landed my Zumo leads to the fuse block. It now goes off approx. 30 seconds after the key goes off. Now I can't drain my battery down if I forget to turn off an accessory.

I mounted my Zumo using a replacement handlebar bolt. Granted that I have a GS, but I think there is a replacement bolt that specifically fits the RT (chack the touratech site). I wired it in with a relay so that the power would shut off when I turn off the ignition; this works well with the zumo since the user can elect to run off the GPS battery after they turn off the bike.

The mount and the wiring are documented here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=182504&postcount=10

Wiring to battery

At the electrical section of the hardware store, I got some electrical connectors for the wires with eyelets just big enough to connect directly to the battery. I crimped the other end of the connectors to the wires with a crimping tool. I didn't use any solder. It has a built in fuse so I installed it directly to the battery. Now it can operate while the bike is turned off.

Easy :german

Thanks for the different inputs.
I am wiring directly to battery as I can still turn off as needed and will take the Zumo off the bike most of the time.
As a F650 owner I do not want to add too many accessories that draw extra power.

Here is link I got info on:
http://razorbiker.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=95

Here was an opinion in the topic (Not mine- use your own judgement)
that helped me make up my mind.

"
After reading the posts here, I decided to run a few tests to find out the current draw in various situations. Here are the results:

Draw will be posted in mA

Unit in cradle and turned on - 213mA

Unit in cradle and turned off (not charging)* - 001mA

Empty cradle - 000mA

As it seems, there is no draw on the bikes electrical system if nothing is in the cradle.

With these results I decided to go to an "unswitched" (direct to battery) hookup. "

Doug

I dunno if the Zumo has the same mount pattern as the garmin marine units, but I found the marine bolt pattern to be the same as the BMW NAV mount for the RT. I ordered just the mount and it sits where the factory unit does. It's a bit more money than RAM mounts, etc, but it is VERY securely mounted and the installation looks very clean.

no accessory plug adaptor?

lots of good info here; I just ordered a Zumo for my 06 1200RT; is there not an accessory plug on the unit that I can use( obviously with my BMW adaptor), or is there another reason to hard wire to the battery or a relay? thanks...wj

It is not necessary to wire to a relay. You can wire directly to the battery or get a compatible fitting to the BMW adapter plug. Your choice.

If you wire it through the ignition switch, the CAN buss will wait approx 30 seconds then cut the power to the zumo. When the zumo senses the external power has been cut, for what ever reason, it will notify you via a screen and ask if you wish to continue on the zumo's internal battery (yes or no).

Back