• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Minnesota to Nova Scotia

BLUWING

Wow!

Thanks to everyone, there are lots of good ideas, now I need to study them so I can ask relevant questions. I will get the MC Guide...thanks for that tip.
You people are the best.
Bluwing

Here is a rough map of my 2004 trip to Nova Scotia. The route went clock wise from Lilydale. It was in July so a family 4th at Manhattan Beach near Cross lake was included.

I took the UP route because I go up the North Shore route every year. The problem with crossing Canada is there are so many oportunities to Wonder where that road will take you.

Feel free to PM with questions.

What was your round trip mileage?
Did you camp or hotel most nights?
B
FYI Thanks for the Morning reads...I catch up at Caribou everyday, I appreciate the time and effort you put into that.

I will have to dig some things out of storage. Would you like some maps?:wave

Anything less than a hassle for you... as you can imagine I won't be embarking on this trip tomorrow. (read -17F).
Stay warm in Lilydale. I'm in Lino Lakes by the way, maybe we have crossed paths?
Bluwing

The route shown by Paul was stark? What about pull over and camp spots? Thank you B
I would describe Canada 17 and 417 as "stark" but that's just me. I've driven/ridden it at least 10 times from Montreal/North Bay/Sault Ste. Marie. I like stark. And I like the twisties. When I want time to think, I pick stark. On these trips, I do the motels, so can't add anything to the camping options. The main thing is the Canadian people. None finer on earth. Real survivors. I blew an exhaust valve on the /6 just west of Hamilton Ontario last September, on Canada's 403 - a four lane divided highway. I wasn't on the shoulder for five minutes before a woman with a child in the car pulled onto the gravel shoulder, got out of her car, and asked if I needed help. My kind of people.

Another rider headed from Minnesota to Nova Scotia

Hi there,
just found this forum while looking for info for my trip from Minneapolis to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland this summer 2007.
My route is Minneapolis, Thunderbay, Nipigon, Geraldton, Hearst, Kapuskasing, Cochrane, Montreal, Quebec to New Brunswick.
I ride with my husband.
We are just in the first stages of finding all sorts of info and found this one you may want to look at.

www.embargo.ca/highway11
www.ski-epic.com/2006_canada_motorcycle_trip/Index.html

if it does not show up try to type the adress yourself that may help after the www you type
ski-epic.com/2006_canada_motorcycle_trip/Index.html

also have this, may be not so much related to your trip but valuable info
www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92207
when more inf available I will post it when it come along.
Which month are you planning to go?

If you happen to plan to stay the night in Nipigon, stop at the Husky. Ask the waitress where Wanda and Jimmy's Motel is (I think it is right next door.) Tell Wanda that Jack sent you and that you are on a bike. They might give you a discount!

Then tell 'em I said 'Hi!" (Wanda is my wife's cousin.)

I have ridden Hwy11/17 from the MN border, around Superior and all the way to Ottawa. I thought it was a nice road. Watch for Moose and big trucks though.

I usually take the 401 from Toronto to Quebec, then it's the 2, on up to New Brunswick. I always wished I had more time to stay on the two-lanes and go around Gaspe Bay from Quebec into Bathurst, NB and on down to Miramichi (where my wife is from). Pretty roads. There is no quick way from the 2 down to the Miramichi; all 2-lanes through the brush. Lots of Moose! You can go through Miramichi on down to St. Johns, then over to NS that way. Takes longer than going through Fredricton, but that's the idea, eh?

Between Montreal and Quebec City, stop at the Bigfoot to eat. Order the Poutine!

Also take time to explore Quebec City. Very nice old town above the St. Lawrence.

I haven't had time to ride in NS and NL. Someday we will though. Mrs. Godzilla has family spread across Canada from Alberta to Newfoundland. One of my dream trips is coast to coast across Canada. When I get time and a new GS...

Small Extention

If you have time; a small extention from the route shown by M1ka would take you around Gaspe. Route 132 on the south shore of the StLawrence river is wonderfully scenic. There is a succession ridges with bays in between, and fishing villages on the bays.

my 2 cents worth

Once in Ottawa crossover into Quebec and follow Ottawa River into Montreal.In Montreal crossover to south shore and take the 132 along the St Lawrence to Sorel ,Becancour and Quebec City.Continue on the 132 through all the Quebec villages (follow the church steeples) to Riviere du Loup.U can choose to aim for NB from here or ride on to Mont Jolie and the Matepedia River Valley. (My choice).

Head for NS and frankly Clockwise or Counterclockwise the Cabot Trail is a hoot to ride and stunning. Just make sure it's sunny and on a MC no Camper,bus or truck will hinder u for long.If u need more info about Montreal or Quebec city just PM me and Oh yes.......have fun:wave

Say a guy takes the ferry from Newfoundland to Labrador. Is there a way to get from Labrador back to Quebec without taking ferries? I thought I read somewhere that this is possible on a GS-type bike due to the roads. Any comments from the Canadian riders familar with that area?

I have not ridden this rte but my map indicates a ferry from Lewisport NF to Goose Bay in Labrador. From here the rte takes you to Labrador City,Fermont,Gagnon and into Baie Comeau QC. From here U can head up river to Quebec City.

Thanks!

I need to get to the weekend so I can go through all the info posted.
My trip to Nova Scotia is actually summer 2008, I'm headed to Alaska this summer (2007) so I will be completely out of vacation time on return. But I wanted to start planning a route so I don't miss the good stuff.
Thanks to everyone for the posts!
B

Well, you do the Alaska trip this year and we do the Newfoundland rout this year.
Next year you do the NS and we do Alaska. In the winter 2007-2008 we can swap info about our experiences.
We are close to the Twinn Cities. How about that!

If you have time; a small extention from the route shown by M1ka would take you around Gaspe. Route 132 on the south shore of the StLawrence river is wonderfully scenic. There is a succession ridges with bays in between, and fishing villages on the bays.

I agree. This was one of the most enjoyable stretch of road on my Maritimes' trip last summer. Also, check out the university & college residences; very reasonably priced accomodation. Have fun!

I agree the Gaspe is wonderful. I did not include it in the trip described in my map because I did it in a trip some years ago and wanted to cover some new ground.

Well, you do the Alaska trip this year and we do the Newfoundland rout this year.
Next year you do the NS and we do Alaska. In the winter 2007-2008 we can swap info about our experiences.
We are close to the Twinn Cities. How about that!

OK. You have a deal.
B

You guys are amaizing

All this info is so helpful. Your post BLUWING is helping more than one rider :clap Guess what I am going to do this weekend,
.......layout the map and look at my trip on paper.......that is half of the fun.

Have any of you checked out Google earth. You can fly over the area and now they have a lot of pictures from the places. Some places have good definition others not so much.

Back