• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How about a $30 replacement battery?

KHEEREMA129911

I know I"m in the wrong forum, but does anybody think this battery (or which Toyo battery) will fit a '75 R90/6?

My BMW battery is crapping out, and I cannot justify spending >$100 for a replacement.

I did a search and this thread came up...

Modify the battery box for a garden tractor battery. It is really nice to be able to buy a new one for my R90/6 at Wally World for $16.

I just replaced the WESTCO that came in my bike when bought in 2001 with the Panasonic from DigiKey recomended here. The westco is still going strong. However, am leaving for Daytona Wednesday from Dallas. Peace of mind don't you know.

The Panasonic battery showed up quickly and only required that the neg terminal be drilled our to accept the bmw post retainer screw. In fact, the post is so soft, I drilled it with a bit and a needle nose plier. Cost plus shipping about 71 bucks. All things considered, I might try the Toyo next time.

I just replaced the WESTCO that came in my bike when bought in 2001 with the Panasonic from DigiKey recomended here. The westco is still going strong. However, am leaving for Daytona Wednesday from Dallas. Peace of mind don't you know.

The Panasonic battery showed up quickly and only required that the neg terminal be drilled our to accept the bmw post retainer screw. In fact, the post is so soft, I drilled it with a bit and a needle nose plier. Cost plus shipping about 71 bucks. All things considered, I might try the Toyo next time.

Next time try:https://www.wholesalebatteries.us/search.cfm

For the Panasonic is $46.04

I was totally sold on the AGM batteries coming onto the market, especially at the cheap prices. I paid about $45 for one through my BMW dealer, and put it in my '02 Roadster. The original BMW battery was 4 years old; it was taken away.

The cheapie AGM failed within 9 months.

BMWNA tech advised using lead acid if I want longevity (not gel). I decided I was not smarter than he was and followed his advice. At least the dealer gave me credit for the cheapie.

Fred

99Rt????

Will this toyo battery work on a 99rt? Does it produce enough juice to keep the computer happy?

:type

If the battery tray is only 3.12" wide then the Toyo battery will certainly fit. It produces more than enough juice, though your question is not relative to the computer systems. Once the bike is started/running, the alternator produces all the juice for the bike, engine, electrics and lights. The battery does not really keep the bike running once it is started, but it does act like a electricity reservoir.

I was totally sold on the AGM batteries coming onto the market, especially at the cheap prices. I paid about $45 for one through my BMW dealer, and put it in my '02 Roadster. The original BMW battery was 4 years old; it was taken away.

I've never had a BMW MAREG battery last more than 2 years. I started using AGM LEAD ACID batteries about 1997. I replace them every 4 years and I've never had one fail.

The cheapie AGM failed within 9 months.

BMWNA tech advised using lead acid if I want longevity (not gel). I decided I was not smarter than he was and followed his advice. At least the dealer gave me credit for the cheapie.

The only thing the 'bmwna tech' said I agree with is that the GEL battery is not well suited for use in a motorcyle. All the batteries we use in our bikes are "lead acid" batteries. Wet-Cell, AGM, GEL are all different types of Lead Acid batteries.

Fred

FYI

Modify the battery box for a garden tractor battery. It is really nice to be able to buy a new one for my R90/6 at Wally World for $16.
If the garden tractor battery doesn't have a vent fitting and tube - the $16 will not seem like a bargain when you find acid fume caused damage to surrounding components.

Back