• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hannigan Fairings

carockwell

I bought a Hannigan fairing about 6 months ago for my R80ST. Hannigan did not have the right parts to fit my bike, but the R80ST is a wierd bird. The fairing is heavy, it weighs 34 pounds with everything. That is LESS than an RS fairing with all the brackets, and the protection is better. Parts are all brand new! The advantages of a Hannigan are that you can configure your bike to ride in any position you want, it is fairly easy to remove the fairing, it takes about an hour to remove or install, and you can adjust the protection to several different levels. It is very versatile. It will put more weight up front, which strangely enough,helped the handling on my bike.

I bought a Hannigan fairing about 6 months ago for my R80ST. Hannigan did not have the right parts to fit my bike, but the R80ST is a wierd bird. The fairing is heavy, it weighs 34 pounds with everything. That is LESS than an RS fairing with all the brackets, and the protection is better. Parts are all brand new! The advantages of a Hannigan are that you can configure your bike to ride in any position you want, it is fairly easy to remove the fairing, it takes about an hour to remove or install, and you can adjust the protection to several different levels. It is very versatile. It will put more weight up front, which strangely enough,helped the handling on my bike.

Which model Hannigan did you get??
Any pics??

Hannigan has a nice web site. Lots of info and pics even of Goldwings. www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com. Better yet ride over to Paris, Ar. and tour the factory. Just don' t ride up and over Petit Jean Mt., Mt. Nebo, and Magazine Mt.; it's just a waste of time. Barry

Hannigan has a nice web site. Lots of info and pics even of Goldwings. www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com. Better yet ride over to Paris, Ar. and tour the factory. Just don' t ride up and over Petit Jean Mt., Mt. Nebo, and Magazine Mt.; it's just a waste of time. Barry

Those are the last roads anyone would want to ride. They're terrible. All those curves.... The views are dangerously distracting.:brow The new lodge on Mt. Magazine is great.

Hannigan closes down in the summer months, and have limited hours the rest of the time. Call first. If you see someone with his nose against the window, it's probably me, trying to convince myself I need one. Beautiful fairings.

Randy ,U lucky dog. U can ride over all those peaks and visit Hannigan on your way to the Naturally Beemers Spring meeting in March in Conway. :clap I get to ride beautiful scenic I-40 from W.Memphis to Conway. All those cotton, rice, and soybean fields just getting planted. :laugh

On /2

I had an early Hannigan on my R69S & Bender sidecar rig. It worked great. A friend of mine had a Hannigan GT on his 78 R100S. It worked well but looked UGLY!! I still have to Bender rig, but the Hannigan has found a new home.

Randy ,U lucky dog. U can ride over all those peaks and visit Hannigan on your way to the Naturally Beemers Spring meeting in March in Conway. :clap I get to ride beautiful scenic I-40 from W.Memphis to Conway. All those cotton, rice, and soybean fields just getting planted. :laugh

It's worth a trip just to see the display bikes and fairings, not to mention the roads and food. Anybody coming this way, feel free to PM me.

It's about 90 miles from home to the meeting site. With a little thought, I can cut that to about 250. Too much tread left on the sides of the tires.:nono

Hannigans are a high quality fairing that work extremely well on airhead BMW's. I've used them on 5 or 6 airheads over the years with good results. Handsome, protective, excellent storage capacity. Turns your airhead into a real low effort mile eater. The aerodynamic shape also increases dynamic stability and improves fuel economy. When traveling you'll see the difference at every fill-up.

Good gear. :thumb

Dave Hannigan spent considerable time at the National Research wind tunnel in Ottawa developing his fairings. There were three models, the GT, ST and SS. The main body of the fairing is all Hannigan. The lowers are all BMW RT. I was around the shop a lot in the early 80's when they were being made down on Warden Ave.

Woodgrain

'76 R90/6 W/Hannigan

I bought a R90/6 that already had a Hannigan ST style on it-I was uncertain at first because the ST is a low Sport style and the wind caught me right at eye level. I contacted Hannigan Fairing, got an immediate reply and detailed instructions on mounting their "spoiler". This did the trick--I love it! Not only does it look cool and turn a lotta heads but I get about 14mpg more than I did with a Windjammer and the bike has more top end. The weight might be an issue for racers but beefed up springs/spacers in the front should compensate for normal riding. BTW when I called one day for a few nylon screws (after I tipped over next to a guardrail and the screws gave instead of the critical parts) I ended up chatting for a 1/2 hour to the President of the Co who offered to custom build a windshield to suit my height & style for the same cost as an off the shelf unit (about $150). Where do you get that kind of service these days? Check it out! halaciousnm@spinn.net

Attachments

• B'mer1.jpg
    B'mer1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 249
Thanks Halaciousnm, good pic.
It gives me a good idea of what it would like on my blue 77 R75/7.
The Hannigan company is a very good outfit. I spent a long time talking to Dave when I was chasing a Hannigan fairing on e-bay and he was great.Thanks again for the input.

Hannigan on my 1982 Goldwing

Bob, here's a pix of my recycled Hannigan fairing on my 1982 Goldwing. I had the fairing on a 1980 R bike and when I sold it the buyer didn't want the fairing so I thought I would try it on my 'winter project" 82 "naked" goldwing that I picked up for peanuts as a result of a fire in my neighbour's barn. I rebuilt it pretty much back in 1985 as a "winter something-to-do prokect" and repainted it along with the fairing to match. Some refabricating done to the frame that the Hannigan mounts onto but it turned out well. I also rebuilt a Krauser bag framw to fit the Wing and mounted my old Karusers on the bike. Its my "BMW should have built this engine" bike. The GL1100 had the flat "boxer" four layout but watercooled and it is one smooth engine. I've never seen another Wing like this one!

This is an older pic as since this one I put on the euro flat naked Goldwing bars and it looks great. Still ride it to this day especially in our colder weather. My wife use to like touring on it but now she prefers the GS (1991) as she likes to "putter" on the back roads rather than the slab. I do to. I might have some newer photos with the flat bars,

Hannigan on Goldwing

I give up trying to post my pic...you can see it as post #325 on the "How do I post a pic...?" thread.

It worked there but when I wanted to attach the same compressed image to this thread it kept saying that I had already posted the image on the "how do I..."thread. Somethings wonky...no doubt me.

moosehead
Nice looking "wing"
do you know which model Hannigan that is?
Nice job on the paint, I like would like to match mine to my blue.

Its the ST model. Also has the mini mid fairing (not on in the pix) which attaches along the bottom edge. Also put the "handle bar covers" on as well. You can see all items on the Hannigan web site.

Hannigan SS on 83 R100

...used it for years and liked the protection. Moved it to a nice low mileage 78 later with no mounting problems at all.

Last edited:
'81 R100..............

Attachments

• hannigan.jpg
    hannigan.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 155
Back