• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

International show in NYC. Where you there?

KUTCHER

Let me begin by admitting that this was my first International MC show, so take this with a grain or two of salt, but...

I can really see how the "average" / "utilitarian" / "commuter" - type, was in the minority at this show.

I've never seen such visible lines as at this show. And I'm comparing that to Americade (which happens just up the road from me and the Vermont rally)...Sheltered aren't I:brad ?...

What I saw:
1.) On the one hand you had your true died in the wool, HD type, leather bound - bearing the "clubs" name ( I use club loosely) and usually long gray hair. I actually saw only two people wearing leather with the legendary "H.A's" across the back. All other clubs I've never heard of before. Within that group there was "wanna' bes". The ones with the best of everything - bike - outfits, everything except the time in the saddle. All trying their best to look the part of the all American bad boy rider...And showing themselves to be what they truly where without speaking a word.

2.) Group two was made up primarily of the younger generation. High of 30 something down to "I just got my license" age. All wearing the latest and greatest fad of what appeared to be a "Bullet Proof Vest" with the clubs name embroidered all over it. I can only think why these vests are the thing to be wearing...Some clubs even had there own entourage of woman, scantly clothed, some with shirts that said "I belong to the xyz club".

3.) And then in walks the Utilitarian type. The person looking for something extremely reliable, doesn't stand out in a crowd by way of "bling". Understated, conservative, serious about what they ride. Wow, where those types far and few between...

I can see why manufactures of machines like BMW, have a tough row to hoe. I can also see why they are introducing alternative bikes. In fact, did you register to win a BMW of your choosing? Did you then get the set of stickers that look so similar in design to MINI publications, all to attract a youthful mind...

Now for something different...

I also got a chance to meet a BMW corporate member (name being withheld). As soon as he stated this, I hit him with the "Dealers are closing due to BMWs not caring for their past". Talk about getting pulled aside and having my ear chewed off! He enlightened me with "corporates" view, which some of it made good sense. One thing he did mention was that "All these dealerships closing up - are not due to these supposed unachievable goals that they set out." The standards are not as high as many are lead to believe. And of those that do close, there are allot of other "things" going on that BMW will NEVER come out and say about a particular dealership or person. Lets just say he mentioned that "sometimes its easier to put the fault on a big corporation rather than admit to oversights, bad management & personal problems that cause financial ruin..."

I'm just glad I live only 60 some odd miles from the second largest dealership in the US, MAX BMW.

Ticket Please!
-Kutch

Back