• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gear Oil

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
I hope this doesn't start a fight, but I was wondering if you high milers out there could enlighten us rookies on what would be the best gear oil to use when replacing the tranny and rear end oil. I am considering synthetic, since I have had great luck with synthetic oils over the years.

I'm not a high miler, but I've got the answer(s) for you. :)

You've got an older oilhead, yes?
Tranny:
BMW 75w140 synthetic. It'll smooth out the shifting a bit and not suffer, as much, from thinning when the bike is really hot (and so it won't clunk quite as much when fully warmed).

Mobil 1, Red Line, etc make a similar multi-weight oil that works comparably well. I vote for the best price, and here, surprisingly, the BMW comes ahead by a whopping $1 or so. :D YMMV

Final drive:
Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil (GL5).

lorazepam said:
I hope this doesn't start a fight, but I was wondering if you high milers out there could enlighten us rookies on what would be the best gear oil to use when replacing the tranny and rear end oil. I am considering synthetic, since I have had great luck with synthetic oils over the years.

Hi,

I would use synthetic for both, you will notice improved shifting as far as the transmission goes.

I've used dino hypoid oil with 5% Dow Gear Guard, but am currently using the BMW synthetic stuff.

The synthetic stuff helps shifting over straight dino, but it's a wash against dino with Gear Guard.

dave

Dave-

Where do you purchase Dow Gear Guard? I asked at a local bearing supply whsler, and they never heard of it.

TIA

Steve

bmwterrien said:
Dave-

Where do you purchase Dow Gear Guard? I asked at a local bearing supply whsler, and they never heard of it.

TIA

Steve

Ask Glavin. He's probably got a 50 gallon drum of it.

I agree with Scott. The BMW 75w140 synthetic is good for shifting, especially when the bike is hot. Either Mobil I or Valvoline 75w90 in the rear drive works well.

Speaking of gear oil. The Porsche guys swear by "Swepco 201" I did my first transaxle fluid change today and the trans is noticably smoother. Has anyone ever tried this stuff in a BMW trans and rear end? Or is this a "transaxle" specific formula?

I'm using RedLine Shockproof synthetic in my 94 R1100RS. It is formulated to form a cusioning film on the gears. The stuff is really thick when you pour it in, so I would have to believe that it does so. I have found that my bike shifts smoother with less clunkiness since I've started using it. It is not cheap to buy, but neither is a transmission. I buy it at a local racing shop, apparently it is quite popular in auto racing. I've also seen it at some bike shops, but at a higher price.

I have noticed that at 9,000 miles the transmissions on the RT or GS doesn't shift as well as when the oil is new. Change the oil at 12,000 miles, and it shifts easier and with less transmission noise. Anyone changing the transmission and differential oil on a more frequent schedule?

Do the '04 oilheads change the gear oil more often than the older oilheads? BMWRT has a new thread that in severe city driving the engine oil on the '04 RT'should be changed something like every 2800 miles or 3 months.

How many quarts of oil does it take to change the transmission and differential at a dealership:brow

Dark Cloud said:
How many quarts of oil does it take to change the transmission and differential at a dealership:brow

On the K75 and R1150 the tranny takes almost a quart, and the rear end takes about 9 oz. I don't think it matters who does it. ;-)

Dark Cloud said:
I have noticed that at 9,000 miles the transmissions on the RT or GS doesn't shift as well as when the oil is new. Change the oil at 12,000 miles, and it shifts easier and with less transmission noise. Anyone changing the transmission and differential oil on a more frequent schedule?

Do the '04 oilheads change the gear oil more often than the older oilheads? BMWRT has a new thread that in severe city driving the engine oil on the '04 RT'should be changed something like every 2800 miles or 3 months.

I change the tranny and drive shaft at 6K intervals. Seems to work well for me.

I do my gear oil changes every spring as part of my prep for the riding season. I ride 15 - 20,000 Km per year, and the oil seems to be fine for this duration.

I don't think it is necessary to change trans/final drive oil any more than once a year, regardless of the miles driven. API/SAE spec oils are of excellant quality nowadays. When is the last time you changed it in your transaxle, transfer case, transmission/ rear end of your car or truck? My 4WD pick-up has 50k miles, and other than the AT fluid, it has never been done.
Something to think about.....

I've been using Redline's Heavy Duty Shockproof in my '99S with 66K.The shifting is vastly improved, I'm down to only 2 neutrals now....I tried it also in differential, but it blows out the breather at anything over 80MPH or so...really made a mess a few times, so I reverted back to BMW's lube,no further problems in the rear drive.Redline engineer told me to drop down a weight, but my local car racing shop will only order the stuff for me by the case,

bmwterrien said:
When is the last time you changed it in your transaxle, transfer case, transmission/ rear end of your car or truck?

Monday, as a matter of fact. I do 'em every 12K or every year whichever is sooner, same as my K bike.

Interesting. I've got a 99 S and my trans is actually pretty good.

I think I've got the BMW spec stuff in it right now.

Dave, when I said I'm down to only 2 neutrals after trying Redline gear lube, I guess I was stretching things a bit....I'm 6'6",with size 14 feet, and if I don't make a deliberate shift from first to second, Ill hang up in neutral sometimes, but redline really improved the feel of my tranny. Don't know what happened in the final drive....probably too heavy of lube,worked it's way out the breather......Also,I noticed your a member of Yankee beemers...We attended the Larz Anderson show this year,great fun, rotten weather. Rex Gary

I use Mobil 1 products in engine and trans and rear end. I use 15-50 for the engine and 75-90 in the trans and rear end. I change the trans about once a year 18 to 25.000 miles and the rear end every 6000 miles or engine oil change. People have been having problems with rear ends so I change offen. I get a little bit of crud that come out in the rear end oil change. The sooner I get the crud out the better.

Back