• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Y pipes

J

Jfixit

I normally leave a bike stock and just ride it but is it smart to replace the cat with a Y pipe. I know the weight savings would be a plus but someone mentioned removing a large amount of heat from underneath the engine, that sounds big to me. Good idea or not? Will it change the way it runs to the point that I need to buy more stuff to fix what I have screwed up? Where will I find one and how much will I expect to pay? Let me guess there is a thread I need to read.

I'm sure there's a related thread on this, but FWIW I've got a Y-pipe and Remus titanium pipe (w/ chip) on my GS. I am very pleased with the set up, and the bike runs great. I have no idea what the results would be if one were to just get rid of the collostomy bag and put on a Y-pipe (with the rest of the system stock), or any other combination. Last I checked a Sebring or Mistral crossover averaged in the $300 to $400 range. My Y-pipe was ordered from Remus and has a port for the 02 sensor. As others have said, don't expect any significant performace gains. This is something you would do primarily for asthetics and a more pleaseing exhaust note. Good luck.

I just purchased my Neptune y-pipe

Besides the obvious weight loss,you're losing that large lump of heat from beneath the transmission.I'm sure Paul Glaves can offer much more in the way of +/- for you.I haven't installed the pipe yet,but I intend to keep the stock can until find a great deal on a replacement.Losing the weight and heat we're what sold me.Moving to Honduras soon is also a variable for me as I may occasionally encounter bad fuel.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
I have the Remus Y pipe with the OEM silencer on my GSAdv and it did reduce the heat dramatically on the tranny in the summer time. I am hardly petite and so the nominal weight savings are counterracted by myself...lol. I like the exhaust tone better, and the cleaner looks. Personal choice though. The tranny action made it worthwhile as far as justifying what was a vanity purchase for sound and appearance though.

Back