• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Biker chicks

Good article, we need more like that in the mainstream press to entice additional women to the front of the bike.

Encouragement

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it. I'm one of those women who are currently considering moving from the passenger seat to take the controls of my own bike. I've always enjoyed the ride. Once I get through the safety course I'll have a better idea of just what is possible.

I'm sure there are many women who are thinking that maybe it's time to take the leap up front. I bet the guys won't mind one bit.

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it. I'm one of those women who are currently considering moving from the passenger seat to take the controls of my own bike. I've always enjoyed the ride. Once I get through the safety course I'll have a better idea of just what is possible.

I'm sure there are many women who are thinking that maybe it's time to take the leap up front. I bet the guys won't mind one bit.

One of the most popular seminars at the BMW MOA International Rally is "Women Who Ride". The impression I get is that the BMW community overall is very supportive of women riders. I remember one female seminar presenter in Trenton who used to ride a Brand X bike. She said the typical comment when she rode up to a group of male Brand X rides was something like, "Do you ride that all this way by yourself?", where as a similar group of male BMW rides would ask, "Are you having a good ride?"

:thumb

:freaky

It's always nice to have another friend that's a rider.

not that being on the back makes one a second class citizen or anything :D

Don't go there....

Oh, Poobah, you don't want to go there now do you? :stick

Seriously, being the passenger was great. I totally enjoyed it and still do. I'm just in a position where it might be time to take control.

I hope you are doing okay after that spill.

"First-time female riders gravitate to Harley-Davidson's Sportster, says Pierantozzi of Hannum's, and the company makes a model tailored particularly to riders under 5-foot-6."

Gravitate, gravitate.........Isn't that kinda like gravity? You know, the thing that makes you sink to the bottom? snortgiggleguffaw

Thanks.

Dee,

Thanks for the response. I'm not height challenged but I do appreciate the tip.

And who care if they do mind? :brow

When I signed up for the MSF class in '99 my now ex-husband was heard to say "no wife of mine if going to ride"....and he was right. :nyah

Nothing says independence like riding away from 'em.

And who care if they do mind? :brow

When I signed up for the MSF class in '99 my now ex-husband was heard to say "no wife of mine if going to ride"....and he was right. :nyah

Nothing says independence like riding away from 'em.

Way back in the day, I learned to drive a 550 Honda just so one of us could get us home, if necessary. Now it's more a question of not being left behind! I think getting more involved will be a great experience.

My X would have loved it if I had my own bike but I was too chicken back then. :dunno

Good reading here too. Advice for new riders compiled in one place:

http://www.womenridersnow.com/PublicFiles/DepartmentViewer.asp?DepartmentID=18

Always glad to see another woman find the sMiles riding brings.

Welcome!

My favorite quote from the article:
"Riding well at your level of skill and the performance of the bike requires Zen-like concentration," she says. "It's therapy, it's freeing, not just because of the wind in your face and all that stuff, but because your mind is in another place. Motorcycling is... 90 percent mental. That's why I love it."

Voni
sMiling

Thanks for sharing the great article terham! I consider myself a 'motorcyclist' rather than a 'biker chick' though. :)

PS - my dad grew up in Lansdale.

girrlie...

...it's about the ride not the label. Let's face it, bikerbabe, cyclegirl, motorwoman, whatever the title it amounts to the same thing..you enjoy the ride. The label becomes a negative only if you read it that way.

Gail's comment did make me laugh, too.

Last edited:
Oh, Poobah, you don't want to go there now do you? :stick

Seriously, being the passenger was great. I totally enjoyed it and still do. I'm just in a position where it might be time to take control.

I hope you are doing okay after that spill.

I'm doing fine, thanks.

You might want to talk to my wife, Tina (MrsKbasa here). She's been on both ends of that equation, but has recently moved to the back seat again due to health issues.

Poobah,

I'm going to do my best to chat with as many lady riders as I can at the rally. I will have completed the safety course by then so I'll have a good idea of where I stand.

Thanks!

I gotcher biker chicks right here! :laugh :laugh :laugh
97858007-M.jpg

Great article though!

The whole H-D "show us your +i+$" biker thing turned me off motorcycles,
it was only meeting the BMW crowd that ultimately sold me on being a motorcyclist.
Too bad we're statistically invisible by comparison.

Back