• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Painting Frame,engine Parts, Exhaust Pipes

chopper_guy

MY "79" R100RT HAS BENT CENTRE STAND LUGS WITH DEFORMED BOLT THREADS. I AM PLANNING ON STRIPPING EVERYTHING OFF AND GETTING SOME WELDING DONE TO REPAIR IT. AT THE SAME TME I WANT TO REPAINT ALL OF THE BLACK FRAME PARTS SHINY BLACK, AND SOME ENGINE COVERS,(FRONT,TIMING,ROCKER, EXTENDED SUMP,AIR BOX,STARTER), AND EXHAUST PIPES, FLAT BLACK. CAN A GOOD JOB BE DONE USING SPRAY PAINT? WHAT PREP SHOULD BE DONE? IS A PROFESSIONAL JOB THE ONLY WAY TO GET A DURABLE FINISH? I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT FLAT BLACK WAS THE BEST RADIATOR OF HEAT. IS THIS TRUE?HOPE SOMEONE WILL HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Here's a link to an airheads club site for a centerstand repair:

http://www.airheads.org/index.php?Technical Tips+Centerstand repairs

I haven't tried this, but mine needs repair, too. I can jerry rig it to do servicing, otherwise it stays wired up. It looks like an alternative to welding new brackets, etc., though the exhaust comes off to gain access. For those who attended the centerstand/sidestand forum, I used my centerstand exclusively for many years...after a while, the pivot points will get sloppy...

THANKS FOR THE INFO, HOWEVER THE CENTRE STAND LUGS ARE BOTH BADLY TWISTED SO SOME WELDING WILL BE NEEDED. FOR THAT THE ENGINE WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND I MIGHT AS WELL GO WHOLE HOG AND PAINT THE FRAME TOO.

For frame painting you really can't beat powdercoat. It's basically nonporous unlike wet-applied paint and therefore pretty much impervious to corrosion and very durable too. I've heard that there are also now types of powdercoat that cure at lower temperatures (ideal for aluminum castings).
I'm no expert but I question the logic of wanting to paint the exhaust.

b_h_dowell said:
THANKS FOR THE INFO, HOWEVER THE CENTRE STAND LUGS ARE BOTH BADLY TWISTED SO SOME WELDING WILL BE NEEDED. FOR THAT THE ENGINE WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND I MIGHT AS WELL GO WHOLE HOG AND PAINT THE FRAME TOO.

Ouch. Easy on the caps there, homes. It's generally regarded as shouting.

It sounds like you're going to have a pretty fine looking bike when you get done, eh? You going to keep us informed about how it's coming along?

Thanks for the powdercoat suggestion. My prime aim is to get something durable that looks good. I'll look into it. I'll try to keep the forum updated on progress. I'm hoping to get everything back together in a month. This should get the bike in the condition I've been aiming for since I got it 7 years ago. The fairing is deep red wine smoke and I'm thinking of a bright red frame with flat black on the engine covers and sump. I'm not positive about that yet. Some mods I've installed are 400 watt alternator, deep sump, oil cooler, koni shocks, top and bottom bumpers on the aftermarket springs, aux.bmw plug, heated grips, and Tailblazer. 2 years ago it had an extensive top end with almost everything replaced, 9.5 pistons, new timing chain, extensive g/b and FDU overhaul. I did all of the final assembly and tuned it with timing light, Twinmax and tuning spark plug. No big deal but motorcycle maintenance was new to me.

>I'm thinking of a bright red frame with flat black on the engine covers and sump.

I say go with powdercoat on the frame and anodize the aluminum alloy. Black HOLDS heat better (that's why they paint BBQs black!) You want the engine to transfer heat. Painting it will not only trap the heat but it will cut the surface area drastically.

If I ever take one down to the frame, I'm going with "Kalihari" White w/blue frame.
gskala.jpg

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll be giving them all consideration. What a great gs you have. I've been wanting one like that for a long time.

I WISH:confused: The "Kalihari" was a special bike sold in SA only long after the "telelever" GSs were gone in other markets.
Read all about it at the wonderfulFountain of all GS knowlege Someday I HOPE to own one, it's purchase to coincide with one of those 30 day top-to-bottom of Africa GS tours!

Are you referring to the tours Ron Ayres does? He's from the Dallas area and will doing a presentation on his tours at my club's meeting this month. Sure wish I could take one of those! Saw his presentation last year when he was about to launch the tour biz and he's a great guy to hear speak.

The Veg said:
Are you referring to the tours Ron Ayres does?

I can't remember if it's Ron Ayers or a tour company on the continent. I found it doing a google search for "Motorcycle Tours" a year or so ago. The company did 7 and 14 day SA tours, and the mother 21 (?) day trip twice a year. Once up and once back.

Just a follow-up on the bike repairs. I am working in Chile so won't be able to do any assembly until I get back early in April, however the frame, various brackets and the engine covers are at Anderwerks in Calgary getting welded and powdercoated. A steering hub reinforcement is also being welded on and I am thinking seriously of installing an aftermarket , stronger, fork top bracket.

Good luck in Chile, man! It's still summer down there for another couple months, isn't it?

yes. I am fighting fires down here and we have another 7 weeks of normal fire season left here. I can hardly wait to get back to start putting things back together. I'm planning to get involved in some Iron Butt activities, and will have the ride for that.

colors

[ The fairing is deep red wine smoke and I'm thinking of a bright red frame with flat black on the engine covers and sump.

I've got an old friend who powder coated the frame on his R90S red. Looked great, especially with black R90 fairing with pinstripes done in red and white.

Good luck!
Mac

widebmw said:
Gun bluing on everything steel. :idea
is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Think about it... you have to OIL guns or else they rust. If you want to have to OIL everything steel on your bike, then by all means use gun bluing. (Sheesh!)

Back