• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Something Very Different

PAULBACH

Has anyone ever rode one of these? Front wheel drive! Found the picture of this bike for the Big GIG thread.

Thanks Greg. I resized and renamed. That did it

Attachments

• Unique ride 2.jpg
    Unique ride 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Has anyone ever rode one of these? Front wheel drive! Found the picture of this bike for the Big GIG thread. CAnnot upload same file twice so I have provided a link. Maybe the mod can work some magic.

Click here.

Just save the picture under a different name and you'll be able to upload it.

that's awesome. radial? who needs transmissions anyway.

Old ride!

1920's technology! The engine appears to be inside the spokes.

Attachments

• Unique ride 3.jpg
    Unique ride 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Megola Motorcycles of Germany

European Motorcycle Universe site

Megola ÔÇô Wikipedia

Here is one with a bladder for a gas tank.

Megola-1922-25-1.jpg

Megola-1922-25-2.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind is how that might be such the trick for a hill climb.

Fully faired

I know a guy with a fully faired machine, a megola or similar. It is wild looking, Buck Rogers comes to mind. He says only a few were built streamlined. H.

Follow the link

M1KA provides a Wikepedia link. An interesting read. One very interesting sentence from Wikepedia:

The crankshaft was the front axle, which remained stationary while the cylinders rotated with the wheel.

Am I missing something? How does the axle remain stationary? Would not the axle have to rotate for the bike to go forward?

Another link for this interesting design concept.

M1KA provides a Wikepedia link. An interesting read. One very interesting sentence from Wikepedia:

The crankshaft was the front axle, which remained stationary while the cylinders rotated with the wheel.

Am I missing something? How does the axle remain stationary? Would not the axle have to rotate for the bike to go forward?

Another link for this interesting design concept.
Not at all. It was a common design for WWI aircraft. Planes like the Sopwith Camel and such had a radial engine with its crank bolted to the airframe and the crankcase bolted to the prop. The idea was that the spinning crankcase would get more air cooling. Also, most of the engine could be covered for better aerodynamics, and yet all of the cylinders would see some cooling.

When the motor runs, something has to spin. It doesn't have to be the crankshaft...

Thank you! Some very interesting engineering going on. I wonder if any other motorcycles featured front wheel drive?

I don't know of another front wheel drive like the Megola. But here's a Sachs rear wheel drive bike from the 1960s...

P5311108med.jpg

Here is a link to keveney.com and the explination of the Gnome engine, one version of a rotary engine. This may help you understand the concept a little better.

Instead of the crankshaft spinning inside the cranckcase, the crankcase and everything else attached to it spins around the "crankshaft", or in the case of the Megola, around the stationary axel.

I saw that bike at the Art of the Motorcycle.

It's pretty strange, that's for sure, but not the strangest bike I saw there. I think that award goes to the Bohmerlander (or however you spell it).

to answer paul's question;

the Rokon Trail Blazer was actually a two wheel drive motorcycle, you could store fuel or water in the tires and when they were empty it would float:

tbyellowbig.jpg

one thing i never understood about the megola or other machines with free spinning cylinders, how do the carbs or injectors get a steady supply of fuel, the only thing i could envision was a supply hose, that led directly to the crank that would fill a void in the spinning crank and allow the fuel to be fed up the cylinders and to the carbs using centrifugal force. any radial mechanics in the house??? i'm pretty sure the spinning engine was a rarity in the aviation world and wasn't commonly used after WWI

edit: upon blowing up the picture above it would seem the carb is actually located in the hub. man those little straight pipes must have been LOUD

More wierd things

As found on J. Wood Auctions.

Attachments

• monomoto_front.jpg
    monomoto_front.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 89
I would not want to have to do too much work on an engine that is inside the spokes of a wheel!
Gregg

...and I complain about cleaning all those spokes on my bike! Sheesh! This would make things far worse from a detailing perspective! (not that I've cleaned my bike since the Iowa Rally last year...)

Back