• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who has an R100CS still on the road?

to rangerreece

REFERENCES TO EXPLOSIVES ON ANY FORUM IN TODAY's ENVIRONMENT IS A DANGEROUS ACTIVITY. NO MORE!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2
Absolutely, that's why a cs grenade is NOT an explosive never has been. Educate yourself please!!! And lighten up because that was a joke. A boxer engine is moe explosive than a smoke grenade. Clueless.

Agreed. This thread asks one simple question. 90% of the postings are irrevalant to that question. It is a shame. You guys talk it out the way you want. As for me, the original questioner, I have had enough. We'll see you now.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

David,

A valid response to your original question, I just picked up a 1981 CS, #6188037. Bike has 77K on it and is in good shape mechanically, needs a little TLC cosmetically. Since this bike increases my collection of Beemers to 6, it will take sometime to get to the cosmetics on this one but will gladly keep her exercised.

Rich,
Savannah, Ga

My dad drove this until he was 82...

Bike shop says it's the best original, un-restored R100CS they have ever seen. Since getting it from my dad for 3K, it's had a complete mechanical restoration. This should get this long thread back on topic and I drive this bike more than my K1600GT or Velocette Venom. It really is that nice; a good balance between new and old technology.

little bike.jpg

Bike shop says it's the best original, un-restored R100CS they have ever seen. Since getting it from my dad for 3K, it's had a complete mechanical restoration. This should get this long thread back on topic and I drive this bike more than my K1600GT or Velocette Venom. It really is that nice; a good balance between new and old technology.

View attachment 42022
That sir is a beautiful bike, enjoy.

View attachment 42022

Ina a word..."STUNNING"!

Ina a word..."STUNNING"!

I put a few bills into it (which was me being anal and unable to leave anything alone). Dad usually took care of things but on his income not so much any more. Timing chain, steering head bearings, carburetor rebuild, shocks, springs, etc. Upgraded the side stand to the optional one when the originals started to splay (found it at Benchmark Works) and the brakes were not great given at some point someone put the front rim on backwards and that jacked up the rotors (valve stem is the tell). Aside from a defect I'm working with on with the gear box I think it's had the head rebuilt once in 55K miles. Sold in 1984 out of Indianapolis and I brought it to the left coast from Kansas. Cannot leave it alone; it came with the double seat so it was fun chasing down a 3/4 cowl and seat. Seat came from Germany (NOS) and I've got a spare cowl already painted (why I don't know only needed one). Have to decide to sell the extra or not as its a Spanish repo made of fiberglass and strong as hell. This is my second 'pure' air head, my first BMW was an R75/5 back in the early 70's.

When I drive my Velo, you need to get the gearbox in neutral and sneak up on the stop lights. Excessive clutch usage will start it to drag and after a while it becomes a handful (9 plate clutch is only 1" thick including chainwheel). So habitually I put the R100 in neutral as well but I learned that the force of braking with clutch out (again in neutral) causes a small amount of gear clashing while momentum is thrust forward. I may have that damn issues with the transmission cir-clip.

My buddy does WWII stuff so when we went to Kansas City to pick up a Ben Hur and spares, we snagged the bike. Yes, fuel mileage went to crap but we didn't have to brake going down Cajon Pass. :doh Thanks for the compliments, the next owner will appreciate my work as we're just caretakers of the next guy's stuff.

ben_hur.jpg

I own an '81 R100CS

VIN is 6188062 It's a US model, I think Clem originally sold it at BMW of Denver, not sure as the paperwork history of the bike is incomplete. I've had it since 2003, an eBay acquisition in Western Colorado. First couple of years I lived in Vermont and would fly out to use the bike, begged garage space from various friends. I had some seals replaced and a solid tuneup done at Santa Fe BMW in 2004, and the speedo gears rejuvenated at Palo Alto Speedometer in 2006.

Right now it's parked in my shed. I got an R100GS (1995 model, VIN within 100 of the last airhead produced), and I've been riding that one the last 2-3 years.

My CS is in decent shape, has the normal center stand wear problems (tangs on the frame) and needs a few things -- maybe a new headlamp switch, certainly a new battery, and a new set of tires before 1000 more miles are up. It's been repainted since new, and the bags I got with it are not standard Krausers, I don't know about that part of its history.

My nephew has been leaning on me to sell it to him, he wants to tune it up and ride off into the sunset. I just may let him do that.

Welcome to the forum! Well, if you do end up selling, at least it's still in the family. Be sure to work into the sale agreement the "right" to ride it once in a while!

1981 r100cs

Hi guys, I just bought a 1981 R100cs. It is a Canadian model bought in Toronto in 1982. It is red and has CS stamped on the frame in the VIN # 6188134 and CS badge on the rear cowling and on the side covers.
The mileage is 91,000 km. Rides nice and sounds great. It will be happy in the garage with the 77 R100rs and the 2008 R1200RT.

cheers

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 262
81 r100cs

Hello All,, I just picked up a 81 R100CS but it is going to need a paint job, does anyone know the paint color/codes and stripes of that year, or where to get the original paint?

Would you say a CS is a better daily rider than an S.I have a 1977 R100S. What are the big differences between the two?

I have both type and like riding the CS better mainly because of the clutch flywheel upgrades, clutch and shift much better.

The '81 changes included

lightened flywheel/easier clutch operation
Brembo brakes with handlebar master cylinder better operation
Nikasil lined cylinders reduced oil consumption but more engine heat to rider
Reduced engine compression permitting regular gasoline
Electronic ignition that's bulletproof
Dual exhaust crossovers
Changed but not necessarily improved sidestand and centerstand
Two-bulb tail light
Changed front forks
Changed air filter
Air injestion

The CS and the earlier S are basically the same bike save for these changes. It's great to not have ignition failure every 10K miles. The lighter controls operation is very noticeable, leading me to term the older bikes farm equipment in comparison.

R100CS S/N 6188067 was manufactured as a US Model (Included Environmental Plumbing) in November 1980. Therefore it is a 1981 Model Year Bike. I am sure it is as good as you say, because I made several trips on my 6188073 thru the Rockies to the west coast, once thru Rocky Mountain National Park. It was down on Power as it was running and almost would not restart after a brief stop at the visitor center. It still runs very well.

Let's see what contradictory comments I can get from IKCHRIS on this post (LOL). He knws everything.

Dave Good
MOA #5559

I had the environmental plumbing remove when I had the top end and rings done. Pearl run like new and no fuss or talk backšŸ˜œ

David,

A valid response to your original question, I just picked up a 1981 CS, #6188037. Bike has 77K on it and is in good shape mechanically, needs a little TLC cosmetically. Since this bike increases my collection of Beemers to 6, it will take sometime to get to the cosmetics on this one but will gladly keep her exercised.

Rich,
Savannah, Ga

If you make it up to North GA in the spring, come by on the Classic Sport

Back