Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1973 R75/5 Toaster - SWB Model Wobble?

1973 R75/5 Toaster - SWB Model Wobble?

Hello. I am considering purchasing a 73' /5 SWB but have been reading about the high speed wobble of the SWB models (as opposed to the later LWB models which supposedly corrected the issue). Curious to hear from any /5 SWB model owners if this is an issue you experience and whether it's severe enough to stay away from it and pursue the LWB model instead. Thanks in advance for your time and insight.

Not sure a '73 is an "official" toaster, but that's beside the point. A properly cared for and setup SWB /5 should handle just fine. I wouldn't let that sway you if the bike "speaks to you."
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Having experienced this phenomena a couple of times, I still rode the thing and figured out how to correct the situation and ride on. Duane Asherman has some fine information on fork setup that explains the hows and whys of the thing. Sorry I cant search on this site any more and haven't figured out the "TRICK" to search like most websites. Anyway, perhaps someone will come on with links.........
    Kurt is right about the 73's. Look at the driveshaft. Does it have a 2" or so "patch" about half way down the shaft?........The factory engineers figured out to lengthen the wheelbase a bit and it went away for sure, as many many thousands of later bikes attest. For me, if the bike pulls you towards it........RIDE IT. This ol guy survived and rode on...........

I've ridden my pretty much stock '71 R50/5 for over 20,000 miles and no wobbles.

45k miles on my short wheel base /5 and never a wobble...

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - BMWMOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Wow that is a great photo! Ain't Fall great?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I have a swb 73, and personally haven't expeienced any high speed wobbles. BTW, my bike is a toaster. My understanding is the tanks were on the 72 and 73 models.

Quote Originally Posted by MildBill View Post
    My understanding is the tanks were on the 72 and 73 models.
    I suppose we'll never really know the whole answer. Ian Falloon's book mentions the toaster tank for the '72 models but not for the '73s. It's no secret that at the time the tanks came out, a lot of customers didn't like them...maybe partially due the smaller fuel volume. So, dealers did whatever the customer wanted to sell the bike, and that meant fitting a different tank. Many of the toaster tanks were either tossed or crushed. Possibly some dealers hung on to them and offered them to customers when the '73 bikes came out. That's one theory, anyway.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your thoughts and experiences. I really appreciate it. Kurt, you may be right- I did a VIN search of the 1973 /5 I am considering and it was manufactured in May 1972. BTW, here is the link to the Duane Ausherman article on the 'Wobble' that Dennis referred to. Very helpful. Thanks again.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/wobbles.htm

Toaster schmoaster

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I suppose we'll never really know the whole answer. Ian Falloon's book mentions the toaster tank for the '72 models but not for the '73s. It's no secret that at the time the tanks came out, a lot of customers didn't like them...maybe partially due the smaller fuel volume. So, dealers did whatever the customer wanted to sell the bike, and that meant fitting a different tank. Many of the toaster tanks were either tossed or crushed. Possibly some dealers hung on to them and offered them to customers when the '73 bikes came out. That's one theory, anyway.
    Ian Falloon, being a European, does not always take into account the models sold here in the States! We got Toasters thru 73. The Euro versions got rubber knee pads and a wider rubber gasket under the tank badges.
    As far as the SWB wobble problem, Duane has written a great piece on his web site. Snowbum has also addressed this problem. As many SWB /5s as i have owned over the years, I only recall one that had a wobble problem. Went through the forks anc cured it.
    I might note that this wobble problem was increased if you ran a handlebar mounted fairing like a Wixom. If you use "European" short bars you almost never have a problem, pre-supposing that your forks are set up correctly.
    Boxerbruce

I have a 71 R/60/5 SWB. It has a small aftermarket fairing. Think much much scaled down R90S look. I have ridden it lightly loaded with saddlebags and also heavily loaded with a full camping gear. In the 160 or so thousand miles I have ridden it I have never had a problem.
    Adirondack Bob

Bruce -

I don't know of an American author that would have had access to BMW/German information. That said, I found a post by Tom Cutter who worked at Butler and Smith "back in the day". He said that the '73 models arrived from the factory with stripes around the chrome panel, so that seems to show that the "Toaster" was '72 and '73. He went on to say that if a buyer didn't want the panels, they routinely took them off and fitted the OEM knee pad inside the stripes...and that the pads helped to protect the stripes from wearing.

Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Bruce -

I don't know of an American author that would have had access to BMW/German information. That said, I found a post by Tom Cutter who worked at Butler and Smith "back in the day". He said that the '73 models arrived from the factory with stripes around the chrome panel, so that seems to show that the "Toaster" was '72 and '73. He went on to say that if a buyer didn't want the panels, they routinely took them off and fitted the OEM knee pad inside the stripes...and that the pads helped to protect the stripes from wearing.
    Kurt,
    Forgot about the pin striping around the toaster panels on the 73 year models. Generally a quick way to tell what year the bike is. The MAX BMW catalog still shows those knee pads as being available. What it doesn't show is the different gasket for the badge. The toasters had a badge gasket that was essentially the diameter of the badge. On the snall tank the badge mount was raised a bit from the surface of the tank. So to sort of compensate for this, the gasket was larger with a recessed "thinner" section in the middle, under the badge and a sort of lip on the outside of the emblem to fair it into the tank surface. I don't know the part number and since they do not show on the MAX catalog or in my old paper catalog, I doubt if they are currently available.
    As I remember, there were a bunch of 73 model unsold bikes in Europe (I think Italy) that came to the states in 1974 and were parcelled out to dealers. Some of them had the small tank with the aforementioned knee pads. Please remember that that was a long time ago and my geezer memory may not be quite as good as it was. So don't take my word as gosspel. I wouldn't want to be credited as starting another rumor.
    There is a lot of controversy about the "year models" during this era because a dealer could register a bike as whatever year it was at the time. Not all dealers and not in all States. So you ended up with a "72" model, built in, say June of 1972, being a "left over" and sold in January of 1973 as a 1973 year model.
    Now you've opened up the can of worms about short and long wheelbase models. I doubt if we'll ever know the real truth as to exactly when they first extended the wheelbase bike was made. All I can say is that the only new BMW that I ever owned was an R75/5 that was a long wheelbase model with a manufacture date of November, 1972! As they say, YMMV.
    Boxerbruce

Bruce -

All is lost in the "fog of BMW"!! I'm sure someone at BMW Germany might know...like Fred Jakobs! The fiche shows what seems to be the new swingarm as being "from 1/73". I'm sure BMW engineering had made the decision well before that and the stop-gap measure was to weld on the 50mm extension...I suspect yours had the welded section. In order to not trash all of the SWB swingarms, someone began welding the extension to the in-stock parts. Could have happened well before 1/73. This sort of thing happened quite a bit during model year changeovers either to use up older parts or bring new parts into the line.

My '74 R90/6, I think a 12/73 manufactured date has the welded in section on the long swing arm.