• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tail of the Dragon/Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park, TN

I have been there several times, including last summer. I have ridden it both ways on a K75, K100, F650, and R1150R. The F650 was the most fun because of its light weight and balance. The K100 was the least fun because it was top heavy in the tighter corners. Riding it just at dawn on the K75 during the 2003 Iron Butt Rally was a special ride. The shimmering silver road stood out in the deep shadows of the surrounding woods. For most people it is a 2nd-3rd gear road.

Last May we arrived at just after noon on a Tuesday. Even then the parking lot at the store/motel/campground formerly known as the Crossroads of Time was jammed with about 100 bikes, and we could hear them whining up and down the hill at the south end. There were quite a few trailers, and a handful of folks with their number-plated bikes were evident.

Given the congestion we skipped 129 and rode over to Maggie Valley - spent the night - and visited the Wheels Through Time Museum the next morning. Then rode the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee north. Good trip!

Last edited:
I rode it last October 3, on a Wednesday. No police, no cars, no RVs and not too many bikes. It was a good ride. One sport bike was approaching from behind much faster than I was travelling so I slowed down to let him/her pass. Speed limit was 30mph and I handled it easily at a little more than the posted speed.

The Dragon and/or Deals Gap

It is a wonderful road and the scenery is beautiful. Just don't go too fast, there are patrols all the way, specially in weekends. At the store you can find lots of products, which are nice souvenirs, for you and your friends.

188009544-M.jpg
188009537-M.jpg

188009501-M.jpg
188009551-M.jpg

My friend (and vicepresident) Joel and I did it in our way back from the National of West Bend.
188009525-M.jpg

188009590-M.jpg

188009618-M.jpg

I went last year over Memorial Day. I was told it was going to be a zoo.. We went on Friday morning, fairly early and there was no crowd. I was passed by a few guys on sport bikes, but had no problems.
I decided before hand to stay within my abilities, and still felt like I was pushing it pretty hard.
I'd heard the main probem is crossing the yellow, if you are outside your abilities..
It's a great place to ride. I enjoyed many of the other roads in the area more. (longer stretches)
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Just wondering who has done the Dragon and what your impressions are. I hear that the number of curves/hills and scenery in the park make the ride worthwhile. If this is so, what are the best times of the year to go in order to avoid traffic congestion? All opinions/tips appreciated. Thanks!

Marty, Ken and myself riding the dragon June 07. Photo be Zee foto, they do a good job watch for them. Traffic was heavy due to RA rally, but we were still able to run it twice at a pretty good clip. weather was perfect. I'm sure you will have a blast. :thumb I found some of the roads to the dragon just as nice with much less traffic.

Attachments

• RA 2007 027-1.jpg
    RA 2007 027-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 269
Lodging?

So, is the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort a good place to stay?

Deals Gap Resort

The Deals Gap resort is a great place to stay. It is reasonably priced, clean, and right in the middle of all the action. A word of warning, plan early and make your reservation. They only have 14 rooms, but do have some nice areas for camping. I make at least 5 trips there each year to ride, and have never been disappointed. The riding in that area is not limited to the "Dragon", you have "Hellbender", the Cherohala Skyway, and many other roads that offer scenic and just plain ole fun riding. If the Deals Gap resort is full, try the 2-Wheel Inn in Robbinsville, NC. Its 17 miles to the Dragon, and a nice place to stay. Any other info feel free to inquire..Jim

We did the Dragon last Sept, mid week and it was a blast. Not any traffic at all the first day (actually late afternoon into early evening) . The next morning quite a bit of traffic in both directions. Use extreme caution though, a guy in a VW Golf missed me by less than 6 inches, and I was on the far right white line. I heard squealing tires comming from a blind right hander so I moved as far to the right as I could, and in a flash, this over zealous out of control bass thumpin' Jack Ass comes flying into my lane just missing my left sidecase. Pretty shook, the rest of that pass was rather nerve racking. You will enjoy it though. Check out the other great rides in the area too. The entire Blue Ridge Pky is amazing!

Camping / Cabins close to the "Dragon"

I rode the "Dragon" and Cherohala last October. I chose to stay at the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort link:http://www.cycleresort.com/

This was one of the best rides of my life. I rode the Dragon from the West side then back and forth again! I have to say the Cherohala was a beautiful ride too. Leaves were at their peak. I agree with one of the earlier poster's that there are many other roads to ride in NC, TN and GA too.

I live in the GA foothills and have to say I am pretty spoiled. Less than a day's ride to the best riding in the US.

Tail

dragon.jpg

Here is the trophy tree. The motel rooms in the background. At every bend there are single skid marks leaving the road - used as a race track by many - be careful, especially of the cars.
The area in general has some great riding, plenty of twisties and beautiful parks and scenery.
:type

Perfect Example

Here's the clip of the pocekt bikes. While I most definitely do not condone the behaviour of these goobs, I can't help but get a good hearty chuckle at the part at the end where one runs into the ditch and the guy just picks it up and keeps going.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whNI88AuJD0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whNI88AuJD0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This clip is the example of why motorists hate motorcycles and sterio type us all.

do it

Ive done the Dragon a couple times when I go down tjo see my son in the Marines in N.C. It's cool to do just to say you did it. I enjoyed many of the roads down there. Cheohala is beautiful and not as much work. I love going through the Smokeys. I remember riding in the 70's in the afternoon and being at a higher point around dusk and seeing patches of snow. Thought is was cool. Have a great ride.

JMO, but...Ride the "dragon" once to say you did it, and spend the rest of the time riding all the other, more enjoyable roads in the area. I have been going up there for years and each year the "dragon" becomes more and more of a PITA. Now, when I go to the mountains, if everyone I'm riding with has already been to the "gap", we don't even go over there. We only go there for virgins.

I found it better than most any other riding place. Week days better than weekends. Stay away from the holidays.

Here's a picture taken on a scenic overlook on the Dragon. It's a must stop place. Most of the Dragon isn't this scenic, just lots of curves.

If one makes an effort to go to the area, see as much of the Blue Ridge Parkway as possible. Cherohala Skyway just to the southeast of the Dragon doesn't suck!

Time permitting, I would recommend running all the way from Skyline Drive in Virginia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, hopping across the Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park, Foothills Parkway, then the Dragon and on down to the Cherohala Skyway. Not a bad piece of riding in that 600+ miles!

Ride Safe.

Other roads

I found that I like other roads within 100 miles of the Dragon better. They had less traffic, less cops. But I did get the t-shirt!

Becky

Living in Western North Carolina, the Dragon is pretty much in my back yard. Well, the far corner of the yard anyway. About 120 minutes away if traffic is light.

I might be spoiled (please don't hate me), but for me the appeal of the Dragon is not the road. I mean, sure, it's a nice stretch of swervery, but I know roads just as wild within a 30 mile radius of my driveway.

For me the appeal is the whole scene. The Dragon is like the nexus of motorcycle culture in the Blue Ridge. It's a round the clock rally, a road race, and a meeting place all rolled into one. Every kind of bike and every kind of rider can be found there. It is definitely worth the visit.

Come on down!

BTW, the BMW RA is holding their annual rally in Asheville, in June, with camping on the Biltmore Estate.

http://bmwra.org/rally/

The Alien is quite right. The Dragon is a good road but it is in an area full of good roads. The problem is the Dragon is now a carnival ride. They should sell tickets and get in line. GO ahead and do it so you can say "I've done it!". Then go off and find perfect roads like NC 221.

We stay in Maggie Valley and did the loop down the dragon and back up the Cherohala parkway. In July. They were in the middle of a drought and it rained the whole day but was still a great ride. Is was about 240 miles. Maggie Valley nice. Good food and drink. Stay away from Cherokee its a real tourist trap. :thumb :thumb :thumb

Back