• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

More license plate nonsense

Ridealot

Lifetime Member
I am doing my part to support the DMV on Oregon. After buying my R100RS this spring I found that I kept refering to the bike as the "Dinosaur". I figured if thats what I was going to call it then I should make it official. So now it shares space in the garage with the 6 fiddy that has a problem with cars.

I need to find a different hobby though because this custom plate crap is getting expensive. :cry

Heres the front of the RS

77732565-M.jpg

And one of the plate

119862354-M.jpg

And here is both of them waiting patiently for the frost on the roads to melt so that I can go ride. Winter just sucks sometimes.

119862470-M.jpg

Pretty nice, Tom. I like them both. I have one on my RT and am thinking of a new one for an upcoming GS. They may be expensive, but the entertainment factor is worth it!

I've considered vanity plates but I live in a town of 8000 people and I sometimes swap plates between my bikes because I'm way too cheap to register, insure,and pay excise tax on all of them...I figured that a memorable plate would increase the chances of Barney Fife catching on.

hondarider said:
I've considered vanity plates but I live in a town of 8000 people and I sometimes swap plates between my bikes because I'm way too cheap to register, insure,and pay excise tax on all of them...I figured that a memorable plate would increase the chances of Barney Fife catching on.

Oh Man, your gonna get in trouble! :fight

You better hope that Barneys bullet is still in his shirt pocket. You know how excited he gets when he catches them BIG CITY criminals. :nyah

Nice selection of plates, Tom.

Not to hijack your thread, but what do vanity plates cost in other states? I think here in ND it is an additional $25 per year.

Rich said:
Nice selection of plates, Tom.

Not to hijack your thread, but what do vanity plates cost in other states? I think here in ND it is an additional $25 per year.

In Oregon custom plates are also an additional $25 per year. That is on top of the $30 for 2 years of regular plates. So with a custom plate it is $80 every other year. Not that big a deal.

I already have enough on my plate

I have been getting custom plates for my bikes for the last 20 years or so. I just got tired of feeling like an idiot every time a motel clerk or park ranger asked for my tag number, and I had to walk out to the bike to look. When I get so senile that I can't remember a vanity plate, I'll know that it's time to hang up my Belstaff.

I couldn't begin to tell you how much they cost, so they must not be that expensive. I like to believe that Connecticut outsources the making of them to all the elves that Santa Claus has to lay off immediately after the holidays.

:cat

Catman has a good point about remembering your plate number.

Picture this, you are seated in a restaurant 900 miles from home, in the middle of a six day trip. You finish a fine meal and walk out to your bike. IT'S GONE! How many of you could call the police and recite the plate number without doing some research to find it?

The same can be said about your other vehicles. I keep the plate numbers on a piece of paper in my billfold. Maybe a lot of people have better memory than I do, but it works for me, and you just never know when you will need your plate number for some reason or another.

But I do remember my bike's!

115770085-S.jpg

Not terribly original, but with my advancing age, I can remember the year of the bike I'm on when asked.
119991277-M.jpg

102489831-M.jpg

Catman said:
I have been getting custom plates for my bikes for the last 20 years or so. I just got tired of feeling like an idiot every time a motel clerk or park ranger asked for my tag number, and I had to walk out to the bike to look. When I get so senile that I can't remember a vanity plate, I'll know that it's time to hang up my Belstaff.

I couldn't begin to tell you how much they cost, so they must not be that expensive. I like to believe that Connecticut outsources the making of them to all the elves that Santa Claus has to lay off immediately after the holidays.

:cat

Here in Ontario,a vanity plate would cost ya 200 bucks

hondarider said:
Some of my past plates have a crease in them.
Takes less time than knock nuts.
I'm currently uncreased :D

Great Tags!!!!

Nice posting folks...............I'll bone up on posting pics...and show you Inga & Igor's tags..........("Inga" & "Igor" respectively :p

Brownie said:
Nice posting folks...............I'll bone up on posting pics...and show you Inga & Igor's tags..........("Inga" & "Igor" respectively :p

INGA & IGOR !!

Uhh Brownie, Don't make us ride over to your house for an intervention on your bikes names. :stick

By all means post some pictures. Lets see poor Inga & Igor. :lurk

In NH we only have 5 characters, and a lot of rules for MC plates.
A vanity plate is $25, that doubles the registration fee for the K75. :p

Gail_Plate2.jpg

Back