Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAN vs. WILD

HONDARIDER

MAN vs. WILD

Has anybody seen this maniac on the Discovery Channel? I'm not a fan of reality shows but this one amuses me to no end. I keep wondering what the camera man is up to while this guy is struggling to survive in hostile environments. I guess it's a bit contrived but I'm sure there's at least some redeeming bits of information. Tonight I found out how to live like Robinson Crusoe...I wonder how the gang on Gilligans's Island managed for so long

I saw a couple of episodes and really enjoyed it. Similar backgrounds. On the episodes I saw, he was dropped into a glacier and had to get out, and then onto the Serengeti. He makes it entertaining and informative, and the shock value for some must be hilarious, I know it is for wifey...lol.

HONDARIDER
    I wonder if this guy is "for real" or if he's just a Bob Villa...meanwhile Norm Abrams is out back wittling a yacht from a pocket knife and a block of wood.

He was ex-british special forces, the stuff he teaches has merit and accuracy in most cases, although I like the fact that he demonstrates situations rather than talks about them. I laughted my tail off when he jumped into the icy river to show how to handle hypothermia situation. He climbed out of the icy water after staying in there for a few mins and then finds his previously lit fire went out and had to be revived... I am sure there are heroes on this site that would argue the validity of the material and based on various experiences. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention...lol

HONDARIDER
    I saw his rowboat sink in sub-freezing waters the other night during his escape from Alaska...that didn't look like much fun to me

callmethebreeze

Man v Wild

I'm skeptical (so what else is new). Admittedly my sampling size of this program is small but the idea is farfetched. How is it that this guy just "happens" into these dramatic situations i.e encounters with apex predators; just walks away and it's all in focus. It's BS to me.

Breeze

Agreed Breeze, it is entertaining though. From a now armchair warrior stanpoint it is as close to thise stuations as I care to return...lol

HONDARIDER
    I watched the guy make fire from rubbing two sticks together tonight...that's something I've never managed to do as a Boy Scout or a soldier...I hope it was staged...otherwise, I'm an utter failure as an outdoorsman

callmethebreeze
    Agreed, the bow drill method is a PITA. Most sensible outdoorsmen bring a supply of waterproof matches or at least a flint. I keep a survival kit on the bike whenever I'm going anyplace out of my ususal haunts. A warm fire next to the road while waiting for assistance is a big help if you're broken down or just too cold to continue.

Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze
    Agreed, the bow drill method is a PITA. Most sensible outdoorsmen bring a supply of waterproof matches or at least a flint. I keep a survival kit on the bike whenever I'm going anyplace out of my ususal haunts. A warm fire next to the road while waiting for assistance is a big help if you're broken down or just too cold to continue.

Breeze

Luckily in Detroit there is usually a car on fire or a building arson that keeps the cold out effectively...lol And if that fails running for your life always stimulates the metabolism quite efficiently too. LOL

HONDARIDER
    I always carry a flint, some steel, and a magnesium valve cover around in my pocket in case I need to start a fire in a survival situation

callmethebreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by PUDGYPAINTGUY
    Luckily in Detroit there is usually a car on fire or a building arson that keeps the cold out effectively...lol And if that fails running for your life always stimulates the metabolism quite efficiently too. LOL

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    In my opinion Survivorman is better as he is his own camera man and much more personable.

http://www.survivorman.ca/
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

A camera op friend of mine who does a lot of aerial coverage for the reality stuff tells me Survivor-man is for real.

Maybe true but he's no Mike Rowe

belquar
    I enjoyed watching him bite the head off a garter snake and suck the wiggling body into his mouth and chew it up. Then he says..."Now that I have had me breakfast I can go on."

Funny show. He does some stupid stuff though. On the Chapparal episode in california he chose to swim a lake rather than walk around it. I understand his desire to use his pants as a flotation device, but it was a high sierra lake. Even the biggest high sierra lakes would take less than half a day to walk around. Excluding Tahoe of course.

Seems to me like getting wet and cold ain't smart survival.

Brian