• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel injection for an airhead!

sirmanley

Silent Hektik has a fuel injector upgrade for airheads. Does anyone know anything more about this? Does anyone else think this is a great idea?

DSBMW1 said:
Silent Hektik has a fuel injector upgrade for airheads. Does anyone know anything more about this? Does anyone else think this is a great idea?

I don't think it's a good idea.

I think it ruins the "simplicity" of the airhead. It replaces two very simple (but effective) fuel/air mix/metering devices (carbs) and replaces them with a bunch of fancy parts and a computer, and substantially lightens your wallet.

The carbs work, and have many years and millions of miles of testing. They're also not prone to a sudden failure. Sure, your float bowl could develop a leak in the middle of Africa, but all you need is some gasket maker or some flat cork and a knife to make a temporary repair. (making a float gasket with cork and a knife CAN be done, DAMHIK). Your diaphragm might get a tear, but you can fix that with some glue. Generally, a "failure" with a carb is a buildup of resins and crud until you need to rebuild it. You get plenty of warning with that. On the other hand, if the computer fails on that injection system in the middle of nowhere, you'll be walking/calling for help... if there is any. Sure, you might get a little better mileage or power (I can't find info on test results, right now), but I think the small pluses outweigh the minuses.

DSBMW1 said:

I think it's a wonderful idea. BMW did it. I wonder if one could stuff an oilhead engine into a /2...heh.

And the purpose of throwing a huge amount of money and time to put fuel injection on an Airhead would be what ???? :dunno

Ditto!

Now a really good "normalizer" would be worth it. "Normalizer" in light aircraft is a turbo set up that just gives just enough boost to maintain sea level power as you gain altitude. Now that is something I would like on my /7 and probably wouldn't be to hard on the engine.

A fuel injected airhead would simply be a weak oilhead. Why bother spending the money to do that. If you want an oilhead get one and leave the airhead to someone who would appreciate it's qualities as is.

DSBMW1 said:

Airheads had injectors?

Oh, you mean a fuel injection CONVERSION.

If you had the mechanical aptitude, I would think it would be a relatively easy process to adapt a throttle body/injector set up to an airhead. But I doubt you'd get much out of it other than the satisfaction of having done it.

I would not do it. Fuel Injectors and computers only make our life on the Airhead more complicated. If a fuel injection is what you want just buy an oilhead. Probably much more efficient and cheaper than if you do it yourself, plus you get a warranty with it....

I keep my airhead and 62 Ford Fairlane because I'm a KISS kind of person. However, I also like newfangled gadgets and that is why I bought an oilhead and the new style F-150. I don't like to mix new and old and I confuse even myself.

fuel injection for airheads

There would be two potential upsides to a reliable fuel injection system for airheads: improved starting, and improved throttle response. Luftmeister made a kit some years ago, but I have never seen one on any bike.

This might be a fun project for an airhead enthusiast who has the means and the patience to see it through.

Rinty

Last edited:
Did the "classic edition" R100RT re-issue have FI or is my mind playing tricks on me?

I am reminded of seeing an Oilhead at a rally this summer that had been converted to carbs. He said he had it almost right.

Many years ago, 15?, either Luftmeister or CCProducts had a FI kit for airheads. One fellow up in N.Georgia spent lots of effort and $$ installing them on an R80ST, along with a K-bike front end and many other performance improvements.
He was one of the first to buy an Oilhead, saying that it was everything he had been trying to make his Airhead into.

Now Cjack, an oilhead in a /2? That would be interesting!

airhead f.i.

We can probably imagine how well those Luftie fuel injection kits worked.

Rinty

R65 Sleeper

rinty said:
We can probably imagine how well those Luftie fuel injection kits worked.

Many many years ago, there was a guy with an R65 in the Chicago area who'd added a Luftmeister trubo to his bike. It required windshield washer fluid added to the mix, somehow. Any old-timers from the Windy City remember this bike...or rider...or both??

Mac

fuel injection

A friend of mine, who is a good wrench, had the turbo kit on an RS, but the heads slowly disintegrated. The motor just wasn't up to it.

There must be some fuel injection stuff over at the airheads site. I'll have a look when I get home from Saskatchewan and back to a fast computer.

If I can get through this snow today......

Rinty

Im an old fart to some people, so take this wiht a grain of salt
to me one of the Beautiful things about my old airhead is easy repairs.
now I know I do live in a rural area so this may be different for you
but resetting points, or ( like recently) unsticking a float on the side of the road, in the middle of bumb frick no place, in the snow, is a real advantage.
a computer crap out or something, 20 miles from the nearest home, is not apealing to me :sick
even if it got me a few miles to the gallon or cut a half second off my 1/4 mile time
to me. its not more speed or mpg that this old scooter needs, its BRAKES

fuel injection

fuel injection's biggest advantage relative to a Type 247 BMW:
cleaner emissions &, if programmed efficiently / precisely, perhaps a smidgeon of performance ÔÇô after idle, and before WOT.

PeoriaMac said:
Any old-timers from the Windy City remember this bike...or rider...or both??

I believe that was John from All Brand Motorworks (at Addison & California) that had the turbo R65. Until last year he had a K75 turbo (now sold) and a 1978 R100RS with turbo & nitrous. The turbo & nitrous has been removed from the RS and he had the bike for sale at his shop last time I was there.

Back