Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your motorcycle history?

On the Road
    The first six bikes I owned between 1970 and I think 1978. The last two I've owned from 1998 to present.

First bike 250 Suzuki Savage 1970 painted it fluorecent lime green, on the can it said improved visibility 400 percent. Wow! Also had fluorecent orangre army boots. No excuse.

Second bike 650 Triumph Trophy my favorite until now. It reminds me of my GS in a way.

Third bike 1965 Triumph Bonneville restored it and later sold it. The guy that bought it chopped it. Man!

Fourth bike a Rickman with a nickel plated frame. Nice trail bike for the time.

Fifth bike was 250 Yamaha trail and street. So so.

Sixth bike 1971 Electra Glide trimmed it down stroked it to a eighty four cubic inch. Could lay a hell of a patch but was a piece of crap other wise.

In 1978 a guy had his right turn singal on and I passed him on the left well he turned left. I was on the Harley. To make it a short story I got about a third of my left foot ground off after it ground my work shoe off. My foot was wedged between the car tire and the pavement after I was nocked off the bike. Thirty seven days in the hospital, four operations, two hundred and ninety six shots of demoral (WOW!) I kept my foot and leg. Got married to the girl I was dating at the time. We had a kid raised him ( did get him a trail bike at thirteen) and did not ride for twenty two years on the street except on some borrowed friends bikes.

Seventh bike Honda 200 trail bike. Still have it and use it to get around the farm with the boy on his Honda 100 which he has out grown. I told him no need to upgrade while away at college.

Eighth bike r1150gs purchased in October 2003 after a quite warm discussion with my wife. Man! I've been having a great time on my new bike and my wife is now riding with me.

Reed
    Last edited by speed reed; 12-15-2003 at 02:36 AM.

CRUISIN

on target

All right, Reed. Your response was just the thing I was hoping to see when I started this thread, a chance to sort-of get to know others through their history with bikes. I realize that not everyone has a story or maybe they do and just prefer not to tell them, but I think this type of thing makes the internet boards more of a close-knit community rather than a such sterile, and annoymous place.

touche'

On the Road
    Hey Cruisin,

Worked on a off shore tug boat in Sabine Pass Texas in the mid seventies. Road the 650 Triumph Bonniville around there at that time.

Reed

CRUISIN
    Not real familiar with Sabine Pass, the closest I have ever been to there is eastern Houston. Sabine Pass is about 700 miles from where I live now. I am thinking about driving the longest highway in Texas next summer sometime. It is State Highway 83 that is approx. 900 miles, runs north of Perryton and ends somewhere around Brownsville. Kinda puts in perspective the old saying, "the sun has ris, the sun has set and here I is in Texas yet."

On the Road
    Well this is a picture of my first BMW took me forever to get it posted! Hell it took me forever to be able to afford my first BMW. Actually not a bad price these days. Yet everything costs to much these days.

Reed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by speed reed; 12-20-2003 at 05:24 PM.

On the Road
    Well since I showed you a picture of my first BMW heres one of me and my first wife (and only). A name with a face. I like to see who I'm talking to.

Reed

CRUISIN

FACE-TO-FACE

That's cool; here I am on August 1, 1971 in Questa, NM the day before climbing Pikes Peak in Colorado.

CRUISIN

FACE-TO-FACE PART 2

And then 30 years later on August 1, on my way to the Colorado Beemers 100,000 foot ride.

On the Road

Reply to Dave 777

After owning Jap Bikes for mucho years , I wanted something different...as I also own a BMW car...I started to look at BMW bikes and liked what I saw....most impressive is the resale value of a 10 year old BMW bike vs. Jap bike...huge difference...the market always knows best..lastly, I wanted something different than what the other 99% ride.

in order but not sure of yrs earlier ones
    70's Kawasaki 90 (1st bike)
    70's Kawasaki KZ400 (was run over by tractor and manure speader)
    70's Honda 400(couldn't get out of it's own way)
    550 Kawasaki LTD (wasn't bad)
    79 R65 (yeah my 1st Beemer finally)
    75 R90s (rearend by lady on way to work in W. Va as i was about to ride Skyline Drive)
    76 R90s (loved the 1st one so bought a second)
    73 R75/5 ( rode for about 10,000 miles)
    R90/6 ( bought, and then traded for car)
    82 Goldwing (looked like a good deal)
    1200 HD Sportster (BIG mistake)
    1340 HD Dyna Lowrider (bigger mistake)
    '99 R1100sa ( still riding, many miles, and lovin it still!!!!)
    '98 Panzer Tourister ( love the bike but for sale for house downpayment money)

CRUISIN

"fill in some details"

Originally posted by Visian
    I gotta get to work, but couldn't resist replying to this. Just a list of models at this point, in order of purchase. Hopefully I'll get back later and fill in some details.

Honda Cub 50
    Honda CL100
    Honda SL100. . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    BMW K1200RS

Ian
    I'd sorta like to hear some of the details from that long list, there has got to be a good story or two in there somewhere.

klc

Rally Rat

Talking MOTORCYCLE HISTORY

I'll try to list em all! Some of these go back a while.

196x Honda cub 90 (1st bike with step thru and banana seat- rode a 100 foot circle in our yard -- 11 years old

197x Triumph Trophy 250 (13 yrs old-- paid $350 fixed a lot of mechanical things with help of Dad--Painted it myself- PURPLE METALFLAKE it was cool!

197x PUCH 175 dirt bike (very fast 2 stroke) 14-15 years old

1971 HD Sportster XLCH ( chopper with 6" extended front end a real custom bike for a 16 year old. Sold the Triumph and PUCH for the money) Had a lot of fun on this one.

1974 HD Shovelhead FLH (rode it 8 years) worked on it 8 years

1988 HD Lowrider FXRC ( built this bike to 96cubic inch-very fast V-TWIN) don't twist it unless you are ready

1994 SUZUKI KATANA (now fast was getting faster) still had the hog but what a different kind of ride!

2000 HD Electraglide FLHTCI ( two tone blk/red ) I broke my back 2 weeks after I got this bike in a work accident and didn't get to ride for 8 long months. Sold it in 2002

2003 K1200 LTC (1st beamer-titan silver) What can I say! I love all the features and with my bad back I needed an upright riding position with smoothness to keep riding as a lifestyle choice.

I could name 8-10 more cycles my son and I have had for dirt riding 4 wheelers and trail bikes.

I've got to add his 2002 SUZUKI GSXR1000 to this list.
    This bike has been race modified and is by far the fastest freakin thing I have ever straddled. Dyno at 186 HP--wheelies are just a twist of the grip even in 4th gear. This is a 200 mph bike. Totally bad!!

CRUISIN

rottenbiker

I've seen a Panzer mentioned a couple of times recently here and on another site. I am curuious to see what one looks like. Do you have any pictures?

Panzer Touriser

this is my Panzer Tourister (which by the way is for sale)

cb4017
    Jeez, I'll try and go back from the present.
    03 R1150RS
    01 Buell M2
    02 Sportster 883R (converted to 1200)
    02 Kawa KLR 650
    01 R1100S
    9? Suzuki VX800
    95 R1100RS
    8? Yamaha XS650
    8? Yamaha SR500
    7? R50/5
    76 Honda CB750
    Kawasaki 175