• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

removal of r1150rt radio

I removed mine from my 02. It was fairly easy to do, you will have to remove the left side fairing. That will probably take as long as anything else. Everything else is pretty obvious when you get the fairing off and take a good look at it. You will end up with the big plastic box with a hole in the side where the wiring donut was. I just taped it over inside and out with duct tape. No one can see it anyway and it works. I also used a Clymer repair manual for help.
If you are going to remove the speaker boxes and the antenna it will get more complex.
Since someone else will ask,I will ask first. Why are you taking it out?
I took mine out because I did not use it and wanted the storage space.

Are you just looking to remove the radio or the speakers also? I removed them on my RT and it gave me lots of room to put other stuff.

The radio and speakers are easy to remove after the plastic is off. Probably reduces the upper weight of the bike by 5 pounds and leaves you with a nice, lockable glove box. The wires come out of the round rubber donut and fill the hole with black silacone sealer. I installed a cigarette lighter plug in the box and wired it to the radio power leads. Now I can charge my cell phone as I ride.

anybody know how to remove radio from 2003 r1150rt or how hard or expensive to do so? thanks.

I found it to be relatively easy on my 02. Remove the left-side tupperware, disconnect the wiring and undo the bolts holding the glove box to the frame. Removing and reattaching the box and disconnect the wiring is obvious. There are bolts on the back side of the glove box that hold the radio bracket.

If you want to remove the speakers and antennae, which I also performed, remove the windshield, the plastic cover under the windshield and the dash. There is no need to completely disconnect the dash from the headlamp adjuster and time/temp display, just gently lift it up as you work on each side. There are torx screws holding the speakers to the fairing's frame and the wiring is easy to identify and disconnect. The antenna connection is less obvious, but still easy to remove with extensions for your sockets. I bought a plastic cap at the hardware to plug the antenna hole in the fairing.

At the end of the day, you will have more room in the glove box, less weight up top and a cleaner looking bike (IMO).

good luck,

peterh:thumb

I have a 2000 R1100 RT and the bike has a radio in it (aftermarket) it receives FM okay and no AM. I took the antennae loose and when it was partially plugged in I received AM & FM. I tried another antennae and got both. But the original antennae when the connector is fully seated I get no AM.

Any suggestions? Do antennaes go bad? any suggestions as to alerantives to the BMW rubber duck antenna for $125.00?

I am not a big fan of radios on bikes, but the occassional ball game to aleviate the tedium of some slab time on the last bit after a nice ride as I come back to the city is welcome.

Randy

I've been thinking in doing the same on mine 2002 R1150RT (removing the radio hardware ) since I have no radio at all but have the speakers, antenna and the connections.

BMW sells a part called "AM/FM Stereo Radio Cassette Player Supplemental Storage Box" which is shown as part # 71 60 0 420 367.

This basically fits inside the radio space replacing the radio and gives you a small clean shaped plastic storage space to put gloves or other useful items. The local BMW dealer in mi area quoted me this accessory at $91.66.

It is not cheap but helps to have a nice replacement for the radio space.

Cheers!:wave

I have a 2000 R1100 RT and the bike has a radio in it (aftermarket) it receives FM okay and no AM. I took the antennae loose and when it was partially plugged in I received AM & FM. I tried another antennae and got both. But the original antennae when the connector is fully seated I get no AM.

Any suggestions? Do antennaes go bad? any suggestions as to alerantives to the BMW rubber duck antenna for $125.00?

I am not a big fan of radios on bikes, but the occassional ball game to aleviate the tedium of some slab time on the last bit after a nice ride as I come back to the city is welcome.

Randy

I bought an RT with an aftermarket radio...kinda cool really as it has a marine control unit for use at the helm station of the boat, it mounts in front of the windshield...I can change settings with gloves on...The radio has line in and out so I can plug my satellite receiver into it rom my tankbag and then listen to AM/FM/CD OR XM radio...or then again.....the wind!!

BUT...it had no antennae...the guy who installed used a wire....I guess he did not want to drill a hole in the fairing....so I bought an aftermarket antennae for $15...works great!!!! Go to the local Parts store...Canadian Tire in Canada....I guess Pep Boys or the like would have something in the US???

I also removed mine from an '03 RT - pretty straightforward. Same reason as most people, I wanted the trunk space (6 CD changer in there) as well as now I have a very useful box up front. The neat thing that I did is to wire my Garmin 2720 into the speakers in the dash so now when 'Jill' gives me instructions, I can hear them through the speakers. Garmin makes a power cord with a mono jack on it to make things real easy.

Is there any market out there for a used radio, CD changer and all the stock wiring??

David

I might be interested if someone has the radio, speakers, wiring, etc that would work in my bmw r1200rt 2005 model. though of course I have not a clue how to put it all together/install nor if my model is plug n play ready to accept a radio. I do have the glove box on the right side of the fairing if that matters/helps :) Send me a message if interested.
thanks

Back