• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The indestructible Flying Brick?

messenger13

As most of us already know, the "Flying Brick" is not the only 'K' bike anymore. Either there should be a new sub-forum for the Slant-4 'K' bikes, or the sub-title of this forum should be amended.

No big deal though. Just a suggestion... :) (I'll crawl back under my rock now.) ;)

messenger13 said:
... the "Flying Brick" is not the only 'K' bike anymore. (I'll crawl back under my rock now.) ;)
Yes it is!
209153.gif

If the airhead crowd can get used to seeing "hexhead", you Flying Brickers can get used to "Slant 4". :laugh

Or maybe the airheads never did get used to seeing "hexhead"?!?!...oh Boy! Lookie the can of worms I've opened now!!! :banghead

:p

Rather than slant 4, I think the term crossline for the new K and inline for the old brick is a bit more distictive between them.

BMW realy does need a new distictive name or designator for the crossline engine. There should only be one "K" style.

Since the new "K" bikes are designed and configured similar to the Asian bikes, they should have called them A bikes or J bikes.

Just keeps getting sweeter

undefined
If you look at the fine Beemer's that are in the pictures of our members who own the K line you would know that Their motorcycles are Timeles. :clap :clap :thumb
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL HAPPY HONICA

AntonLargiader said:
Well, they're considered "Heritage" as far as BMW training goes....

That's a bit to close to names used by that other twim cylinder motorcycle company for comfort. Are non-paralever K bikes "Hard tails" and paralever K bikes "soft tails" ?

breyfogle said:
Are non-paralever K bikes "Hard tails" and paralever K bikes "soft tails" ?

Do I have to get tattoos and grow a beard, then?

Motor31 said:
Rather than slant 4, I think the term crossline for the new K and inline for the old brick is a bit more distictive between them.

BMW realy does need a new distictive name or designator for the crossline engine. There should only be one "K" style.
During a seminar once, I tried using longitudinal 4 (original K) and transverse 4 (new K) to describe the two variations.

I had everybody so confused that I just went back to "old K" and "new K" terminology. Everybody seemed happier :)

PGlaves said:
During a seminar once, I tried using longitudinal 4 (original K) and transverse 4 (new K) to describe the two variations.

I had everybody so confused that I just went back to "old K" and "new K" terminology. Everybody seemed happier :)

You had them confoosed cuz you used big words. Ya shoulda said sideways and not sideways engines. :hungover

BradfordBenn said:
Okay as a newer member and more of an Oilheader, can someone explain when the change happened and why?
Certainly!

In 1983 (Europe) and 1985 (U.S.) BMW introduced the K100. It had a 1000cc 4 cylinder engine. The cylinders were inline - with #1 in the front, #2 behind it, and so forth, front to back. The cylinders were lying down horizontally with the head on the left side of the bike and the crankcase on the right side of the bike. It was much like an in-line 4 cylinder car engine lying on its side. Thus the terminology in some quarters - "flop 4." Generally called the "brick" - maybe because of its shape - maybe because of its durability, maybe both.

In 1986 they introduced the K75. It was a 3 cylinder version which shared the same basic design and many of the same parts.

The 3 cylinder model was never enlarged. The K100 became the K1100LT and K1100RS. Later they introduced the K1200RS and then the very large K1200LT - all with the same basic engine-on-its-side layout.

Then last year ....... they introduced two totally new motorcycles, denoted the K1200S and the K1200R. These motorcycles had 1200cc 4 cylinder engines. The cylinders are more upright and are arranged crosswise in the motorcycle. Thus the correct terminology - longitudinal for the cylinders arranged front to back, and transverse for the cylinders arranged crosswise. I cursed BMW when they called this totally different design a "K".

They have since introduced the (new) K1200GT, not to be confused with the (old) K1200GT which was the K1200RS with a few different body pieces.

Finally (maybe) somebody regained their collective senses, so when they introduced the semi-faired sport touring version of the new K1200 series they named it the "K1200R Sport" instead of the K1200RS - which is what it is - so as to not confuse it with the (old) K1200RS.

Quiz tommorrow!

PGlaves said:
Certainly!

In 1983 (Europe) and 1985 (U.S.) BMW introduced the K100. It had a 1000cc 4 cylinder engine. The cylinders were inline - with #1 in the front, #2 behind it, and so forth, front to back. The cylinders were lying down horizontally with the head on the left side of the bike and the crankcase on the right side of the bike. It was much like an in-line 4 cylinder car engine lying on its side. Thus the terminology in some quarters - "flop 4." Generally called the "brick" - maybe because of its shape - maybe because of its durability, maybe both.

In 1986 they introduced the K75. It was a 3 cylinder version which shared the same basic design and many of the same parts.

The 3 cylinder model was never enlarged. The K100 became the K1100LT and K1100RS. Later they introduced the K1200RS and then the very large K1200LT - all with the same basic engine-on-its-side layout.

Then last year ....... they introduced two totally new motorcycles, denoted the K1200S and the K1200R. These motorcycles had 1200cc 4 cylinder engines. The cylinders are more upright and are arranged crosswise in the motorcycle. Thus the correct terminology - longitudinal for the cylinders arranged front to back, and transverse for the cylinders arranged crosswise. I cursed BMW when they called this totally different design a "K".

They have since introduced the (new) K1200GT, not to be confused with the (old) K1200GT which was the K1200RS with a few different body pieces.

Finally (maybe) somebody regained their collective senses, so when they introduced the semi-faired sport touring version of the new K1200 series they named it the "K1200R Sport" instead of the K1200RS - which is what it is - so as to not confuse it with the (old) K1200RS.

Quiz tommorrow!

Uh, one more time except slower please... ;-)

Seriously, for a relatively new BMW rider, thanks for the history lesson Paul (and thanks BB for asking!)...

Still The "K"

What ever you ride in thr BMW family we are all in the felowship of the "B" :lurk :bikes

Back