• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Original savanna pants

greer

I'm considering a used pair but I'd be buying sight unseen. Can anybody tell me the difference between these and the current Savanna 2? Thanks for any help.

Sarah

greer said:
I'm considering a used pair but I'd be buying sight unseen. Can anybody tell me the difference between these and the current Savanna 2? Thanks for any help.

Sarah
I think they're quite similar. Both made of Dynatec which is a cordura. Differences are color mostly. Both have leather inside at the knee and both require GoreTex liners for rain. The Savanna II pants have zippered vents above the knees. They both come in solid black which might look good with whatever jacket you have. Both have two front pockets.

Thank you, Jack. Vents would be nice, but not a dealbreaker. Do folks find these tolerable for summertime? Thanks again.

Sarah

greer said:
Thank you, Jack. Vents would be nice, but not a dealbreaker. Do folks find these tolerable for summertime? Thanks again.

Sarah

This material is pretty porous without the Gore liner, but I've not worn them. I think they should be as cool as any protective gear without vents. I leave the pants cuffs loose in the summer and usually get some updraft that helps with what I wear...the Reflect leather or the Light N Easy pants. Neither has vents.

I worn them often...

greer said:

Sarah

I have had 2 pairs of the Savannah originals (one to replace a pair that was cut off) They are NOT waterproof and you can'r get them on and off without taking your boots off to put the liner underneath... I have stripped down to my undies (dang! I wish I wore them!) in a gas station to get the liner on. Yeah, I just stood there behind the bike and pretended I was invisible.

They are also not very cool, but I'm exceptionally hot.

They have been relegated to "winter wear" and I mostly use the Hein Greike Perfed pants. They are not waterproof either, but I'd rather be cool and have to put a rain suit on OVER my riding gear than be uncomfortable most of the time and occaisionally naked in public.

YMMV

Thanks again for the info. I specifically do want want waterproof pants, I'd rather layer over the top according to the weather. Does the BMW sizing guide tell it like it is? I wear a size 10 in jeans, these pants are a men's US38 regular, I'm hopng they'll fit. Thanks for anything else anybody might offer.

Sarah

greer said:
Thanks again for the info. I specifically do want want waterproof pants, I'd rather layer over the top according to the weather. Does the BMW sizing guide tell it like it is? I wear a size 10 in jeans, these pants are a men's US38 regular, I'm hopng they'll fit. Thanks for anything else anybody might offer.

Sarah

I have found the sizing guide within about one size depending on the specific model of suit. I wear a 42L Light and Easy pants and jacket, a 42R Reflect Leather but one size down on the pants to a 40R, and a 44L Rally 2 jacket for example.
By the way, BMW sizes for pants are actually the size of the jacket it's supposed to go with. So a 38R pants goes with a 38R jacket.
So, 38R pants measure a 33-34 waist, 39-41 hip, 39.6 outseam, and 31.1 inseam by the book. Incidentally, when you go from say a 40R to a 40L in BMW pants, the waist goes down a size, hips stay the same, and of course the length gets longer. Going to long sizes in jackets, the chest gets smaller for the same numerical size. Short sizes get bigger in the chest. And of course the lengths vary as you would imagine.

According to that, waist should be fine, butt could be tricky. I've asked him what size non-BMW pant he wears, we'll see what he says. I've never looked at BMW gear, neither Louisville nor Nashville carries much. thanks again for the help.

Sarah

greer said:
According to that, waist should be fine, butt could be tricky. I've asked him what size non-BMW pant he wears, we'll see what he says. I've never looked at BMW gear, neither Louisville nor Nashville carries much. thanks again for the help.

Sarah

BTW Twin City BMW in Savoy, IL is a BMW apparel dealer and has lots of it in stock...if you ever get up to east central IL.

Back