• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Big GIG: NYC Motorcycle Show

The logistics of it all

Tessler was last seen heading to Denver. Snoone is is probably flying to NYC from Tokyo at this moment. RedRider is in Canada and yet we will all be together on Friday for the Big GIG. Absolutely amazing. Maybe there should be a long distance award at the Big GIG dinner.

Last edited:
You are in trouble - The SO knows.

Disclaimer: I don't want to Gore anyone with the details but after considerable study it has been determined that the convenient truth is that the Big GIG in no way will contribute to global warming.

We all know that BMW riders are incurable romantics. Otherwise would the classic lines and beauty of the airhead have survived this long?

The SO knows you have gone and put down a deposit on a new F800 or k1200GT and you need to take the SO out on the city to show how romantic you are. Where to go? What to do? Somehow dinner with the grateful thread just won't cut it. Heavy duty action is needed.

Carriage Ride through Central Park
Taking a ride in one of the colorful horse-drawn carriages that line Central Park South is a great way to see the park and make the SO forget about that down payment. Check out the scenery and skyline, is one of the most romantic ways to spend time in New York City. Bundle up beneath the snug seat blankets to keep out the winter chill. Either way the carriages provide a peak back to gaslight New York and it's easy to imagine Diamond Jim Brady sharing an after dinner ride with Lily Russell.

Estimated Cost (not including tip):
$34 for the first 1/2 hour (You can't get an oil change for that)
$10 for each additional 1/4 hour.
Call Central Park Carriages at 212-736-0680 for more information.

Staten Island Ferry Ride
Free
The Staten Island Ferry has been a municipal service since 1905, and currently carries over 19 million passengers annually on a 5.2-mile run between the St. George Terminal in Staten Island and the Whitehall Terminal in lower Manhattan. Service is provided 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Staten Island Ferry is the most reliable form of mass transit, with an on-time performance of over 96 percent.

Brooklyn Bridge Stroll - Free
A classic experience, the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge yields thrilling vistas of city skyscrapers through the intricate bridge cable work. Bring the camera to record unparalleled views. Have the dealer deliver the new ride while you are strolling across the bridge. Show the SO the city on two wheels. What a memorable event.

Need more firepower? The SO is not swayed. OK! We have saved the best for last. Book some reservations here and have the new ride delivered right after desert. :dance

Dinner at One If by Land
Housed in an unmarked carriage house tucked amid the winding streets of Greenwich Village, One if by Land, Two if by Sea, has been romancing New York City diners for more than three decades. The cozy bar and elegant dining rooms, adorned with four fireplaces and garden views are rich in both ambiance and American history. And here is the menu.
George Washington did sleep and eat here since this house was his headquarters during the defense of Manhattan.

I'm sure Diamond Jim took "Miss" Lillian to dinner here.

Attachments

• horse cab.jpg
    horse cab.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We are meeting at O'Farrells.

A map will be posted well in advance. O'Farrells is about halfway between Pennsylvania Station and Javits.
Here's a map of the area, showing the Javits Center, O'Farrell's and Penn Station.

Attachments

• Javits_Locations.jpg
    Javits_Locations.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Been watching this thread with interest and....

If there is room I'm in for lunch at O'Farrell's although I can't make dinner. Hope I'm not to late to get in on the fun and meet the gang. See Y'all on Friday.

Great News

There is plenty of room, especially at O'Farrells. The only crunch is at the dinner meal where we want to reserve seats in advance for the Big GIG awards ceremony. The list of noon hour forum topics will be released at noon - if power is maintained here in the land of falling ice.

That feature, awards dinner was added this morning after a conference call with that Masterful mai t de of Gotham Tessler. (actually it was an email exchange)

Glad to hear you are coming. :dance

Attachments

• glad2.jpg
    glad2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Is there a scenic route to O'Farrels ?

Yes. Fabricate an inflatable to attach to your GS and ride it across the Hudson. Make sure you have on knobbies to provide better propulsion. ATGATT will then include a life jacket. You will probably need a snorkel kit of some kind as well.

YMMV

Speakers Wanted for Faux Forums at Big GIG

Sorry about the late posting. The electricity and internet just came back on. Am trying to overcome withdrawal pain.

Disclaimer: The following is in jest and meant for the entertainment of lurkers, forum lawyers, insiders, and regular members of the grateful thread.

The Grateful Thread Get Together in Gotham is now soliciting presenters for a list of popular topics. Would anyone care to nominate a presenter for any of the following:

1. Are Rallies Meant For Tent Camping?

A presenter here would need to have extensive knowledge of Motel 6, BurgerKing, MacDonald’s and Wendies.

2. Battery Tenders V Battery Chargers
A dynamic and electrifying presenter will be needed here.

3. Best Motorcycle Lift For Your Light Truck.

This is a weighty topic. Please nominate a heavy hitter familiar with K models.

4. Best Strategy To Get Elected To The BMW MOA Board.

At least one Board member will be present to give the inside secrets. Also presented will be the relative merits of Advil v Aspirin. All attendees at this presentation must present a clearance from either a psychiatric warden or psychologist.

5. Better Bike Bargaining In Silicon Valley
Come over from the dark side and make a nomination.

6. Gel Or Lead Acid For Beemers

The presenter should have a working knowledge of Panasonic batteries and the email address and webpage of digikey.

7. Global Warming and the inconvenience of using High Test Gas.
Pick any convenient name you can think of and inconvenience his/her second helpings of chili at O’Farrells. Plenty of gas should be generated by this toic.

8. Photography in the desert.
B&K Photo will arrange for any hi-tech lighting needed to help the presenter get the shadows just right.

9. How To Get Early & Shady Parking At The Wisconsin Rally
The presenter must have had experience at VT and at least one other rally. A separate forum will be arranged for RV attendees if numbers warrant.

10. How To Get The Best Insurance Rates From BMW MOA.
The presenter is free to bring his gecko with him if desired.

11. How To Receive ON Early – Even Ahead Of The Ambassadors. Topic limited to first 100 attendees.

Speakers Needed​

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
6. Gel Or Lead Acid For Beemers[/SIZE]
The present here should have a working knowledge of Panasonic batteries and the email address and webpage of digikey.

i'll talk about this, i feel like i've worked my darndest to convince everyone just to use the BT JR and nothing else. and i've brought a gel battery back from the abyss with one, even after replacing it with a panasonic agm and then putting it back in (damn panasonic is still sitting on my shelf)!

i'll talk about this, i feel like i've worked my darndest to convince everyone just to use the BT JR and nothing else. and i've brought a gel battery back from the abyss with one, even after replacing it with a panasonic agm and then putting it back in (damn panasonic is still sitting on my shelf)!

And here we GO:stick :ha !

The SO is Convinced but ...

Only Two Days and a Get Up
Before the Big GIG!

Congratulations! You have won the SO over! Life is sweet but now the harmonics (children, rug rats, offspring) are not happy. Two thoughts come to mind. Buy another bike - a Ural! The afterglow from One If By Land is working. The SO agrees to stay in Gotham another day and go back to visit the nice man from Chestertown, NY who is a dealer at the show. The harmonics need instant gratification. Inspiration! Send them off to the zoo, the Bronx Zoo. The SO suggests leaving them in the lion house!

With award-winning, cutting-edge exhibits featuring over 4,000 animals, there is no other zoo in the world that offers the diversity, superb viewing, and world-renowned expertise that assures a rewarding experience and the knowledge that visitors can make a difference in the world around them.

Just one example of the ZOO's education and outreach is the restoration of American Bison herds.

The Bronx Zoo first opened its gates to the public on November 8, 1899. At the time, the zoo had 22 exhibits and 843 animals.

In October 1899, the Bronx Zoo acquired bison for the Bronx Zoo and began to build the zoo herd. In 1905, with fewer than 1,000 American bison left in the wild, NYZS sponsored the founding of the American Bison Society. The zoo was instrumental in securing national protection for the bison and rangeland for the establishment of new herds. In 1907, 15 of the Bronx Zoo bison were shipped to Oklahoma’s Wichita Mountain Preserve. Subsequently, bison were provided for other refuges in Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska. Gradually, the western herds grew and the bison population rebounded. Many of today’s bison in the western U.S. are descendants of those Bronx Zoo animals shipped at the turn of the 20th century.

Attachments

• bison.gif
    bison.gif
    122.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Media day at the Big Gig...err The International Motorcycle Show. I am so jealous.
John, Sorry we'll miss you. We intend to have a big toast in your honor at the post-show dinner Friday night. The Sangria will be flowing...

sangria.jpg

It is only tuesday. I am sure there are flights available to the die hards who wanna come to our party. I am getting excited. Almost time. WOOHOO!!!!!!!

It is only tuesday. I am sure there are flights available to the die hards who wanna come to our party. I am getting excited. Almost time. WOOHOO!!!!!!!
Lol. I hear you Brian. :) Paul B's been the total NYC Whipper-In! That guy get's an honorary Key to Da City (If I have anything to do with it!).

Ok, Chris, you've got 72 hours to get M1ka on a flight to Newark Airport... you can pick him up on your way in ;)

You guys are great.

I just read a very tantalizing offer that would take me to NY for the BIG GIG. I am very tempted but will have to pass. I am a member of the sandwich generation and have some duties that make it impossible. There is a very outside chance that I will be able to attend a more local event, but even that is in doubt.

I will live vicariously through your posts. I wonder if I will awake Saturday with a vicarious headache and need for large quantities of water?

Thanks again.

You snooze, you lose. We want M1KA!

We want M1KA!
We want M1KA!
We want M1KA!
We want M1KA!
We want M1KA!
We want M1KA!

What is a GIG without the Press?

The Faux Dinner Topics

The following topics are under consideration for the evening. Does anyone care to nominate presenters?

The Grateful Thread Get Together in Gotham is now soliciting speakers for the following list of popular topics. This is a very delicate process. Solicitation in Gotham is not ignored.

1. Is Synthetic Better Than Dino?
We need a real oilhead for a presenter.

2. KISS Or Weird Al Yankovic For The Wisconsin Rally Band?
How about a sock hop instead?

3. Should the May Issue of ON be a Mother Day’s Issue?
The presnter will test market secret covers featuring Hondas, Suzukis, and Yamahas.

4. The Best Time To Buy A GPS.
The secret presenter Mr. Bye A Garmin, will present half-off coupons for all who attend the Big GIG luncheon at O'Farrells.

5. When The Forum Will Get A Separate ON Section.
The presenter needs to focus ON again OFF again, ON again Finnigan.

6. When The Next Ladies Issue Of ON Will Be Published.
The presenter will discuss the merits of a Mother’s Day issue.

7. Where The Secret BMW MOA Swag Vault Is Located.
Presenter will have gift certificates for mucho dinero in HD merchandise. The grand prize winner will test a Screaming Eagle Kit for the new G series.

8. Where The 2008 And 2009 Rallies Will Be Located.
The Presenter must be able to speak French with a Quebec accent. RedRider may accept this assignment. Salcar may make a surprise appearance.

9. Why It Is Dangerous To Let Your Ride Go Strapless.
The Presenter will demonstrate how to bungee jump off the Javits Center.

Do we have any nominations for speakers? The Big GIG will even settle for desktop speakers.

Attachments

• Desktop-Speakers.jpg
    Desktop-Speakers.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 70
Just a poor old country boy

Lol. I hear you Brian. :) Paul B's been the total NYC Whipper-In! That guy get's an honorary Key to Da City (If I have anything to do with it!).

Ah shucks. I am just a poor old country boy from a town whose initials are BS doing what I do best.

Attachments

• spreader 2.jpg
    spreader 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 70
Now there is a great idea for the National Rally. A CD full of hundreds (thousands?) or pictures.

Attachments

• einstein-1.jpg
    einstein-1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 69
Back