• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Big GIG: NYC Motorcycle Show

Big Gig

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here....I'm trying to understand what are you planning.....I'll go to the Motorcycle show, as every year since I've moved to the US (from Italy)....but it's the first time I'll go as a BMW rider (GS) and member of the MOA.....

Can I join you? Actually there will be a friend with me with another GS....he'll join the MOA at the show....

Welcome to the MOA family aprofita! Everyone is welcome to join the Big Gig gig at the Javits Center. Please remember to stop by the BMW MOA booth #1463, across from the Cagiva display, to say hello. We'll be happy to enlist your friend into the MOA family at that time. We might even have some lovely parting gifts for him for playing along with us. :)

Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

Gather in Gotham 1/12/007

7 Days to Go!

Remember the Big GIG is for everyone! Bring a friend. If the friend joins the MOA Mike Friedle will open the swag vault when the new member comes on board.

What is the Big GIG? It is a gathering of the Grateful Thread for lunch and dinner with the International Motorcycle Show as an extra added attraction. Next week a map of the area will be posted here.

The lunch and dinner is on FRIDAY. The show continues on Saturday and Sunday. On Friday you can walk down the aisles of the show and see all that is available. Saturday and Sunday are not for the faint of heart. Dozens of buses will drop off 65 visitors at a clip. The aisles become chock a block full of people and one walks sideways just to move.

Today's Place to send the SO to while you are maxing out the Visa, Mastercard and American Express is

Chelsea and Herald Square​

The song goes, "Give my regards to Broadway remember me to Herald Square." So what is in this area - a nice brisk half hour walk from Javits? (Yeah, I fixed it but left the poster) :laugh

6th. Avenue Shopping anchored by the world's largest department store - Macy's.

Annex Antiques and Flea Market. On weekends this flea market will have several hundred vendors from Maine to Maryland.

Chelsea Hotel - A rest stop for rare individuals. This hotel was mentioned in an earlier post. It's guest book reads like a listing of America's most famous literati including Tennessee Williams, Marfk Twain, Jack Kerouac and Sid Vicious - but that is another story in a city that keeps its secrets.

General Theological Seminary Founded in 1817 this seminary is America's oldest Episcopal Seminary. Clement Clark Moore taught here. Clement Moore was the author of A Visit From St. Nicholas.

Chelsea Piers
Manhattan's largest venue for cinema and TV production. Basically a 30 acre sports facility

Herald Square once known as the Tenderloin and was once a theater district.

Fashion Institute of Technology
- the FIT of fashion. FIT is fashion. FIT is a center of design, fine arts, packaging and computer animation. FIT is technology, marketing, advertising, merchandising, production and more.

Attachments

• harold square.jpg
    harold square.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
"The song goes, "Give my regards to Broadway remember me to Harold Square." So what is in this area - a nice brisk half hour walk from Javits? "

Hey Paul, It's "Herald Square".

Harold Square is some guy who wears brown shoes and a disco suit and still lives in Cleveland. :bolt

Friedle

Nice to know that somebody is reading this material :thumb

Harold will be happy he was noticed. Is he available for any discount or swag if he joins the MOA at the International Show? Any secret name or handshake? Or does he just ask for Michael? :hug

Herald Square!​

Attachments

• Herald Square.jpg
    Herald Square.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 106
More Free Parking

More Free Parking and this time in Manhattan!
How can that be? Nothing is free in NY especially in Manhattan!

Read on! This is from the web page of those fine folks at BMW of Manhattan :wave

Complimentary BMW of Manhattan shuttle service to and from the IMS show at the Javits Center Friday, Jan 19th between 12pm-6pm and Saturday, Jan 20th between 10am-5pm.

Avoid midtown traffic, park your bike at our dealership and ride to the show in comfort!

For more information, please contact Steve Sergi at (212) 314-9739, or ssergi@bmwnyc.com .

Last edited:
Contemplate, relax, seek the inner being

6 days to go

You are at the Big GIG and now a rider needs to contemplate, relax and seek out the inner being. Choices must be made. Weighty and life changing decisions are at hand.

F800s?
G650s?
K1200R?
Synthetic or Dino?

You need a place in Manhattan that offers solitude. You want to go back, way back to a simpler time when mankind did not face these weighty matters, a time when you could leave your chewing gum on the bedpost overnight.

Where to go?

Easy!

The Cloisters

The Cloisters house the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection of art and architecture from medieval Europe. Best known for the beautiful tapestries on display, the Cloisters also offer architectural installations, a series of special programs, and fantastic views of the Hudson.

"Located on four acres overlooking the Hudson River in northern Manhattan's Fort Tryon Park, the building incorporates elements from five medieval French cloisters--quadrangles enclosed by a roofed or vaulted passageway, or arcade--and from other monastic sites in southern France. Three of the cloisters reconstructed at the branch museum feature gardens planted according to horticultural information found in medieval treatises and poetry, garden documents and herbals, and medieval works of art, such as tapestries, stained-glass windows, and column capitals. Approximately five thousand works of art from medieval Europe, dating from about A.D. 800 with particular emphasis on the twelfth through fifteenth century, are exhibited in this unique and sympathetic context."

Truly a place to get some rest! :nod

Attachments

• cloisters.jpg
    cloisters.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
It would appear to be the engine.

The Megola was a German motorcycle produced between 1921 and 1925 in Munich. Like Bimota, the name is a portmanteau derived loosely from the names of its designers Meixner, Cockerell, and Landgraf.

[edit] An Unusual Design

The Megola had a unique design that was extremely rare; it boasted a Monosoupape rotary engine mounted within the front wheel. The engine contained five cylinders with side-mounted valves and it displaced 640 cc (39 cu in), a total size equivalent to many modern bikes. The crankshaft was the front axle, which remained stationary while the cylinders rotated with the wheel. A hand-controlled butterfly valve was located in the hollow crankshaft to regulate throttle. Power output was a meagre 14 bhp (10 kW) but was applied directly to the wheel. This arrangement produced a very low centre of gravity and provided for excellent handling.[1]

"The 5 cylinder star-engine was mounted in the front wheel, and the wheel turned around six times slower than the crankshaft did." [2]

The engine was very flexible, lacking both a clutch and a transmission. Starting it required a person to either spin the front wheel while the bike was on its stand, or to push-start. The cylinders could be disassembled without having to remove the wheel spokes in order to service the engine. The tires were tubed with the front inner-tube being a circular sausage shape rather than a complete doughnut so that it could be changed without removing the wheel and engine. The box section frame contained the main fuel tank which fed by gravity a smaller tank mounted on the axle. The front suspension was comprised of semi-elliptical springs.

The top speed was 85 km/h (52 mph) resulting in a win at the German Championship in 1924, while later, sportier models were said to be capable of 140 km/h (88 mph). A total of 2000 Megolas were built and only 10 rideable examples remain, with one existing in the Guggenheim museum in New York, USA.

[edit] Killinger and Freund

In 1935 there was an attempt by a group of engineers to make an improved version, the Killinger and Freund Motorcycle, but World War II put an end to their plans.

[edit] Sources

1. ^ Title: "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Motorcycles", Editor: Erwin Tragatsch, Published: New Burlington Books, 1979. ISBN 0-906286-07-7
2. ^ [1] Kunis.nl Megola (retrieved December 8 2006)

Breeze

More Free Parking and this time in Manhattan!
How can that be? Nothing is free in NY especially in Manhattan!

Read on! This is from the web page of those fine folks at BMW of Manhattan :wave

Complimentary BMW of Manhattan shuttle service to and from the IMS show at the Javits Center Friday, Jan 19th between 12pm-6pm and Saturday, Jan 20th between 10am-5pm.

Avoid midtown traffic, park your bike at our dealership and ride to the show in comfort!

For more information, please contact Steve Sergi at (212) 314-9739, or ssergi@bmwnyc.com .

I'm in for the parking. Where are you all meeting. I need to catch up with Statdawg and Red Rider.

Breeze

We are meeting at O'Farrells.

A map will be posted well in advance. O'Farrells is about halfway between Pennsylvania Station and Javits.

We are meeting at O'Farrells.

A map will be posted well in advance. O'Farrells is about halfway between Pennsylvania Station and Javits.

Excellent, I'll be there. I've staggered out of there a few times in days gone by, although not this go-round.

Thanks for doing this.

Breeze

Lots of pictures will be taken. B&H photo is standing by with multigig chips.

Small events will become happenings.

Happenings will become stories. Spilled beer will become a Tsunami :drink

Stories will become epics.

The epic will be submitted for an ON article. :type

The is even a rumor that Rosie and the Donald will show up. Should we let HIM in or not?

:jawdrop

Attachments

• Donald 2.jpg
    Donald 2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
4 Days and a Get Up Left​

Remember the Big GIG is for everyone especially the members of the Grateful Thread. You don't need a wristband to attend. Free entry and no waiting at O'Farrells.

Lunch is at O'Farrells 413 10th Avenue (212) 268-0587 and Dinner at El Quijote (226 W 23RD St - (212)929-1855) The lunch and dinner is on FRIDAY. The masterful maitre d of our marvelous matrix of gastronomic excellence is our very own (Send Up A Lager Room) Tessler.

Where might you send the SO while you are taking a serious look at the new BMW models, the hot new Triumphs, and shop for a new motorcycle lift. Send the SO on a cruise of the Harbor. Two choices are:

South Street Seaport Museum

Circle Line Cruises

Want something unique? Go to church, The Seaman's Church.

Looking for some fresh seafood? Take an early morning trip to the Fulton Fish Market

Do it the easy way. Walk over to the South Street Seaport. Fridays are free, my favorite price.

Attachments

• NYHarbor 2.gif
    NYHarbor 2.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Chelsea Hotel - A rest stop for rare individuals. This hotel was mentioned in an earlier post. It's guest book reads like a listing of America's most famous literati including Tennessee Williams, Marfk Twain, Jack Kerouac and Sid Vicious - but that is another story in a city that keeps its secrets.

i hate to tell you this paul, but sid vicious was english:laugh :bolt

Absolutley Correct!

John Simon Ritchie (May 10, 1957 – February 2, 1979), better known as Sid Vicious, was an English punk rock musician and bass player of the Sex Pistols. He died of a drug overdose at the age of 21.

I guess I am showing the depth of my tread! :doh :laugh Or lack thereof.

Just wait

The best is yet to come. A couple of special forums are in the work for lunch and dinner. And the special forum topics for lunch and dinner will be released tomorrow. And it looks like the weather will cooperate. It may be a bit nippy with a high of 43 but sunny weather.

:twirl

Last edited:
The best is yet to come. A couple of special forums are in the work for lunch and dinner. And the special forum topics for lunch and dinner will be released tomorrow. And it looks like the weather will cooperate. It bve be a bit nippy with a high of 43 but sunny weather.

:twirl

The moral of this thread is that. ( I can't wait to retire in the year never) as I write this sitting in the Hong Kong airport on my way to Tokyo.

Back