• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Big GIG: NYC Motorcycle Show

A long way to go

That is a long way to go for take out. You will not find company in China like you will at the Big GIG. :buds

That is a long way to go for take out. You will not find company in China like you will at the Big GIG. :buds

And the take outs not as good as NYC Chinese food. Been there done that and I'm not very enthused at the prospect of doing it again. But once again, there are those of us that have to support the tax structure so you retirees can enjoy your idle time. :laugh :drink :bliss :gerg

More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 01/05

Two weeks to
Go to the Big GIG

The Guggenheim

These is the museum that put together a show of motorcycles as modern art.

From the Guggenheim website.

The mission of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is to promote the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, and to collect, conserve, and study the art of our time. The Foundation realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications, and strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and cultural partnerships.

At age sixty-six, the wealthy American industrialist Solomon R.Guggenheim begins to form a large collection of important modern paintings by artists such as Vasily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, and Marc Chagall. He is guided in this pursuit by a young German artist and theorist, Hilla Rebay (born Baroness Hilla Rebay von Ehrenwiesen). In July 1930, Rebay brings Guggenheim to Vasily Kandinsky's Dessau studio, and Guggenheim purchases several of the artistÔÇÖs paintings and works on paper; he will eventually acquire more than 150 works by Kandinsky.

Follow this link for a good time. :bikes

Anyone have any idea what all this gear is on the front wheel?

Attachments

• Gug motorcycle.jpg
    Gug motorcycle.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
And the take outs not as good as NYC Chinese food. Been there done that and I'm not very enthused at the prospect of doing it again. But once again, there are those of us that have to support the tax structure so you retirees can enjoy your idle time. :laugh :drink :bliss :gerg
Best of luck on the trip, Snoone. Travel well and get back here safely. Hope we see you on the 19th.

If you love motorcycles ...

If you love motorcycles you have to check out this link.

The Art of the Motorcycle

Sheer Artistry!

Thanks to that masterful Mai tre d' of Gotham for passing the link along. Don't want to mention names but see Avatar below.

Attachments

• tessleragain.jpg
    tessleragain.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Ah said the blind carpenter

Ah said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Now I see the spark plugs - front wheel drive and radial engine - outside of the horse and buggy it must have been one of the first front wheel drive vehicles. The things you learn at the Guggenheim

Attachments

• guggenheim.jpg
    guggenheim.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Free Parking for the Big GIG?

Free Parking for the Big GIG

- Maybe!

Was enjoying the free barbeque at Max's yesterday and met a couple from Albany area that regularly visit NYC but from the Jersey side.

They described a ferry that crosses the Hudson and docks behind the Javits Convention Center. The parking for the ferry on the Jersey side is free and in past years the tickets for the show were sold before embarking. Such convenience.

Can any past users of this service confirm or deny?

Me, I take the train into Penn Station and walk to the Convention Center. And O'Farrell's is half way (about 5 minutes) between Penn Station and Javits.

Thanks for any input! :thumb

Better than the kyak to Nyak

Better than taking the Kyak to Nyak is the riding the Ferry from Jersey to Mahattan

Ferry

The NY Waterway operates a ferry from Weehawken, NJ.

In just 4 minutes the ferry takes you across the Hudson River to 39th Street and 12th Avenue, just one block from the Javits Center. Just park at the convenient lot adjacent to the ferry terminal and take a ferry which leaves every 10 - 15 minutes during peak hours.

Call 1-800-53-FERRY for schedule and information.

Thanks to BMW MOV member Ted Hall for giving me all relevant information. :thumb

The Ferry Website

Attachments

• arthurs_landing_02.jpg
    arthurs_landing_02.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The Apollo Theatre

A lot of Music Greats started here
The Apollo Theater

The Apollo Threater, which opened in 1914 as a whites-only theater, is best known as a former showcase for legendary black artists including Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughan, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk and Aretha Franklin. Today, the historical spot hosts big-name comedy and music performances, as well as the ubiquitous amateur night. In true 20th century fashion, the Apollo became a brand in itself, spawning tours and TV shows and theatres in London and Glasgow.

Hey music lovers better than the Hard Rock Cafe?

Attachments

• 061227_James_Brown.jpg
    061227_James_Brown.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
It's Official - Complimentary Parking

Big News - You are going to like this.

No charge for parking at the NY Waterway parking site as in

FREE - No Cost - No Charge :dance

You ask, How is this possible? Something free in Gotham? :brow

OK OK so the parking is in Jersey. One of the managers of the company and the web guy both ride - HDs and they have arranged for a separate lot for motorcycles. Good guys these Harley folk. :hug

No cages in same lot with motorcycles. And did I mention the parking was F*R*E*E*

Check here for more information.

How far is the Big GIG gathering from the Ferry Dock? - About 15 minutes walk.

A map will be posted next week.

Last edited:
Take a Walk - Up Fifth Avenue

The Big GIG is down to single digits.
9 days to go - but who's counting.

For those who just tuned in the Big GIG is an East Coast get together of the lurkers and BMW MOA Forum contributors. We will have lunch at 12 and dinner around six. Review the thread for details and next week there will be a recap. Be part of this inaugural event in America's largest city. There is even free parking for your motorcycle. If you don't come those who do will talk about you. :stick

If the weather continues to cooperate what can the SO and the kids do while you are exploring the upper limits of your credit card or just hanging out at the MOA booth? Tell them to take a walk - up Fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue is home to some of the most luxurious locales in the Big Apple. Fifth Avenue is NYCÔÇÖs best known boulevard and home to three of its most famous buildings.

Fifth Avenue

No charge to visit these places. Just a few of the famous locations. Bring your most comfortable gear.

Grand Army Plaza
Hansom Cab rides through Central Park can be boarded here.
From Wikipedia ÔÇ£Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, New York in an oval plaza that forms the main entrance to Prospect Park. Designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux in 1867. It consists of concentric rings arranged as streets, with the outer ring being named Plaza Street.

Bergdorf Goodman Discover the ultimate shopping experience with premier designers for women and men

General Motors Building From their website: Inside the building there is wall-to-wall marble. The Parthenon has come to General Motors. Pentelic marble by the ton from the same Greek quarries that supplied the Acropolis lathers the lobby walls; the rejects are upstairs.

Tiffany and Company The Tiffany flagship store on New York's Fifth Avenue at 57th Street is a popular tourist attraction, largely as a result of the 1961 movie Breakfast at Tiffany's, which starred Audrey Hepburn. Tiffany's opened its first store outside of New York in San Francisco's Union Square in 1963 and internationally in Tokyo in 1972. The corporation has since undergone large expansion, opening flagship stores in London's Bond Street and Tokyo's Ginza district, and now has stores in Asia, Europe, and Latin America.

The Trumph Tower From the website: Much of the atrium, shown at the right, is lined with mirrors creating delightful visual havoc for the hordes of tourists who ride the criss-crossed escalators to the upper and lower retail floors. At the top level there are very handsome outdoor terraces on both the 57th and 56th street sides of the project, which overlooks the great atrium of the former IBM Building on the eastern half of the block and adjoins, on the northeast, the new Nike store.

Cartier: The flagship store of the legendary jeweler. Even if it's not in your price range, it is fun to window shop. A nice watch here will cost more than a new ride but will be easier to get home.

St. Patrick's Cathedral Duck into this French Gothic, white-washed cathedral when the guilt of Fifth Avenue shopping gets too much. Built in 1878, St PatrickÔÇÖs is the largest Catholic cathedral in the USA but although it has its own architectural integrity, it sits oddly in the midst of skyscrapers and expensive stores.

New York Public Library Want to check out the latest CliltonÔÇÖs? The NYPL will have it. Check out their website which has links to an extensive digital library.

Lord and Taylor: 424 Fifth Avenue
Lord & Taylor, based in New York, New York, is the oldest department store chain in the United States. Another outstanding window shopping location

The more the merrier

Remember folks the more the merrier. Everyone come! You hear?

The Big GIG is for all the folks on the forum plus anyone else that shows up. Lunch is at 12 and dinner is sixish.

I add material to keep the thread alive. Next week the list of faux forums will be released and members of this greatful thread can nominate speakers.

Right now there are 17 topics for the Faux Forum starting with, "How to get to the Wisconsin Rally early and claim a shady spot. :laugh

We want you!

Attachments

• US.jpg
    US.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Paul, you should work for the New York Convention & Visitors Bureau, you're doing such a thorough job!

BubbaZanetti said:
p.s.
i think i'm def going now
So we're like up to a total of what? 10? :D :bolt

Better than take a hike - even if it is up Fifth Avenue. A definite maybe is better than, "Now Way Jose!" :jose

For this show only folks with Tiger Ears on Helmets get a special discount.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here....I'm trying to understand what are you planning.....I'll go to the Motorcycle show, as every year since I've moved to the US (from Italy)....but it's the first time I'll go as a BMW rider (GS) and member of the MOA.....

Can I join you? Actually there will be a friend with me with another GS....he'll join the MOA at the show....

Where All the Stars Come Out - 13 Billion Years in the Making

8 Days To the Big GIG

Come on folks plan on joining the members of this Grateful Thread for lunch and dinner. Free Parking, great food, the inside story and lunch with the creator of this year's spectacular teeshirt. There just will not be another event like this until Sue kicks off the National Rally. Come to the Big GIG and Meet the Stars! :buds

Speaking of Stars ... When the SO and/or the kids show no interest in this epic event which starts at 12 o'clock at O'Farrells

tell them to go take a hike and watch the stars at The Rose Center for Earth and Space

Here is just a few of the things to see in this finite center for the infinite :wow

The Building opened in 2000. It is a huge glass cube enclosing a three-story, 87 foolt wide round sphere containing the new Hayden Planetarium.

Hall of the Universe The hall examines such questions as how the universe evolved into galaxies, stars, and planets, and how the atoms from which we are made were created in the hearts of stars.

AstroBulletin The AstroBulletin, a major feature of the Rose Center, displays up-to-date images, news, and breaking events from current missions on its large high-definition screen.

Dynamic Earth Globe. This globe measuring eight feet in diameter. This hemisphere houses a unique internal projection system that beams a digital film to render a stunning view of Earth from outer space. As the twelve-minute video loop progresses, visitors in the granite amphitheater below are able to watch Earth make a full rotation as its cloud cover slowly disperses, revealing a surface of dark, deep oceans and lush green continents.

Earth Event Wall. Adjacent to the Dynamic Earth Globe is the 6'x11' Earth Event Wall, an electronic bulletin that broadcasts current news on global events such as storms, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions using both live-action video footage and computer-generated animation.

The Big Bang. The Big Bang, a 46-foot in diameter space, contains a central 36-foot in diameter screen over an 8-foot deep bowl that visitors gather around, standing atop plexiglass flooring that crops out over the bowl. The show utilizes a laser, dozens of lighting effects, a LED display, narration, and surround sound to immerse visitors in the imagery and energy of the early universe.

Cosmic Pathway. Thirteen markers along the Pathway denote the passage of each billion years. At eight landings, panels show visitors the relative size of the universe at that point in time, along with major developmental stages of the universe including the first generation of stars, globular clusters, quasars, elliptical galaxies, galactic bulges, radio galaxies, our own Milky Way Galaxy, galactic disks, groups of galaxies, and later generations of stars.

Tessler reminds me that the park, Manhattan Square, that both the Planetarium and the Museum sit on is the ONLY part of Central Park, that is NOT within the boundaries of the Park itself!

But all of this is meaningless unless and until the biggest star of the forum, YOU, attends the Big Gig.

Attachments

• HoPe.jpg
    HoPe.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
This is for everyone

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here....I'm trying to understand what are you planning.....I'll go to the Motorcycle show, as every year since I've moved to the US (from Italy)....but it's the first time I'll go as a BMW rider (GS) and member of the MOA.....

Can I join you? Actually there will be a friend with me with another GS....he'll join the MOA at the show....

I did send a PM to my fellow rider and BMW enthusiast. Everyone is welcome at the Big GIG especially lurkers. :lurk

Be at O'Farrells at 12. But if you want to stay for dinner please post a message here or send me a PM at PAULBACH. Come and get your picture in ON! Well maybe, but an article complete with photos will be submitted and who knows? :bikes

Last edited:
Back