Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement

Battery Replacement

Well it's that time. After 3 years the GS battery finally drew it's last amp and it is now deceased and living in Gel heaven.

I have done some searching around and Odyssey keeps coming up as perhaps the ultimate for performance and durability (and price). Has anybody had luck with any other type?

Thanks,
    Andy

tudo beleza
    Westco/Panasonic battery is also popular. Odyssey is probably the most liked but I never had trouble with either the Westco or the Odyssey.

Battery Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by PUDGYPAINTGUY
    Well it's that time. After 3 years the GS battery finally drew it's last amp and it is now deceased and living in Gel heaven.

I have done some searching around and Odyssey keeps coming up as perhaps the ultimate for performance and durability (and price). Has anybody had luck with any other type?

Thanks,
    Andy
    My last two replacements have been WestCo. They were good batteries, but the last one had to have the hole in the positive terminal enlarged a little.

I too have wondered about the Odyssey battery. It will be interesting to read the responses.

Easy
    Kerrville, Texas
    "He hasn't an enemy in the world - but all his friends hate him."
    Eddie Cantor

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by PUDGYPAINTGUY

Thanks,
    Andy
    Anyone have an idea how to test a battery to see if it is about to have the terminal discharge? It would be nice to find the about to expire battery at home rather than on the road to Wisconsin.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

No answer?

My "new" to me bike arrived today and how do I test the battery for condition other than waiting for it to expire?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    My "new" to me bike arrived today and how do I test the battery for condition other than waiting for it to expire?
    Take the bike for a good run and park it over night. Put a volt meter to it and you should have at least 12.6 volts. If it's a lead acid slosh battery with caps you also check for a bad cell with one of those little cheap hydrometers with the colored floating balls. Although a true test requires a load test, these two things will usually tip you off that the battery is fading. Of course, some battery failures are sudden due to an internal short.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Ah So!

Thank you.

If it's a slosh battery you will want to top up all the cells with distilled water. I suspect you knew that already.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Rally Rat
    I have an Odyssey battery and its about 5yrs old, still working fine but doesn't seem to hold a charge like it used to so I might replace it this year. If a battery last 5yrs I got my money out of it.

Panasonic

I bought a Panasonic gel battery for my R1100R 4 years ago and have had no problems. It survived the first two winters with no tender. I use a tender these days. I am very satisfied with this battery. At the time I bought it the price was very reasonable.

Anyone have an idea how to test a battery to see if it is about to have the terminal discharge? It would be nice to find the about to expire battery at home rather than on the road to Wisconsin.
    Paul, along with the tests MRFRANK suggested, once you have fully charged the battery, use a voltmeter and put the probes into the accessory plug on your bike. You will obviously have to hold them in. Then hit the starter. You are looking for a drop in voltage no more than perhaps 11.8 or 11.9 volts. If you go down much further when the starter is hit, the battery is lacking capacity and is need of replacement. This over-drop is why 1100RT and 1150RT brakes sometimes fail to set even when the battery is left on the charger overnight. There just isn't enough oomph left in the battery.

Talking

Okay folks, I will get some feedback on this one I'm sure, but...I have had great luck with "Yuasa" batteries. The last one I had lasted 6 years and was in great shape when I sold the bike.
    I know the electrical demands were not as great as on the BMW, but 6 years is still 6 years. It was a sealed battery, and I kept it on the "Tender" every winter.
    Last edited by therealbatman; 12-15-2006 at 03:54 AM. Reason: forgot info
    Attitude is everything!

08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Thanks folks for the comments, it gives me some ideas, I appreciate it thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by glwestcott
    Paul, along with the tests MRFRANK suggested, once you have fully charged the battery, use a voltmeter and put the probes into the accessory plug on your bike. You will obviously have to hold them in. ... There just isn't enough oomph left in the battery.
    I have a BMW plug with a "trailer hitch" plug (cannot remember the correct name) on one end. It used to be used for heated gloves and sweater. So I can use that pigtail and easily hook to the VOM.

Thanks for the very helpful tip.

tudo beleza
    Unless there is a a discharged battery or a completely dead cell a voltage check will most likely come back OK even on a bad battery as it is only seeing the surface voltage. You need to do a load test on a charged battery to see what it can put out. That would require removing it and hooking up the load tester. Most autoparts stores have load testers and it is a simple test to perform. But even a battery that load tests OK can go out without a warning eventually. Take the age of the battery in consideration as well.