• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A short trip yesterday

kbasa

Got up this morning and it was sunny. It's been raining for a few days, so the riding's been kind of crummy.

Nothing like chasing this guy down Lucas Valley Road
1351729-M.jpg

It was a little chilly, like 45 or so, and it felt kind of nice.
1351730-M.jpg

In another month, this little section of road is going to be green. That section of road gets no sun in the winter and the road grows algae. Not fun when it's wet. Even in the summer, you can see the asphalt is kind of greenish.
1351735-M.jpg

When I got out to Nicasio, there was still a little fog hiding in the hills. Farm season at Nicasio Farms, the local organic place, is over, but they still have some leftover pumpkins. I'm wondering if they'd sell me one for Thanksgiving pie.
1351733-M.jpg

Indeed. It was.
1351734-M.jpg

Buy the canned pumpkin, Dave. it makes for a better pie without all the hours of cooking down from scratch. Been there done that.

December Ride

I know this thread's kind of old, but it looked like a good fit. this will be my first attempt at an image in a post. Thought I'd steal a little of Kbasa'a thunder. The Florida coast isn't a patch on the California coast, but it ain't bad. This picture is from today's recreational ride. Yeah, I'm retired -- eat your heart out.
:D

Attachments

• resize of imag0006.jpg
    resize of imag0006.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 175
Okay - new rule number 7.

I vote for a ban on all "look where I got to ride today" (obviously directed at all us poor bastages in snow country) type posts - especially when they have pictures. Ixnay on such stories from california, hawaii, and florida.
I wanna see more snow riding pictures from the Canadian riders - maybe then we could make you sun worshippers jealous of us getting to put on all kinds of clothes for a quick commute to work.

Right.

Viva La Marshmellow Butt!

Poor Cliffy777...

I feel for you, man! I spent 26 years of my life in beautiful Minnesota (somewhat the same climate as MI). I even worked as a carpenter year round...If it were not for a nice flight attendant from United Airlines who lured me to the West Coast twelve years ago?

I remember the evenings that I'd stand in the garage just staring at my bike. I'm not sure how many times over the winter months I'd detail the damn thing, but it was quite a few, that is for sure...

Hang in there! Stay off the snowmobiles, though - they're evil!

Dave,

You're a heck of a photographer! The shots of the shadow, and the one loooking back at yourself, are very cool.

Those are the kinds of shots that feel really, really cool to capture. The ones that few people even try in the first place...

Was the one of the shadow hand-held, or do you use a clamp on the w/s to hold the camera?

Ditto on the facial shot....?

Doug

Doug Grosjean said:
Dave,

You're a heck of a photographer! The shots of the shadow, and the one loooking back at yourself, are very cool.

Those are the kinds of shots that feel really, really cool to capture. The ones that few people even try in the first place...

Was the one of the shadow hand-held, or do you use a clamp on the w/s to hold the camera?

Ditto on the facial shot....?

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I'm learning. Having a digital camera allows me to take lots and lots and lots of photos. Practice, they tell me, makes for perfect, though I don't know that I'll ever get there. Now fish can take a picture, you should see his stuff.

I just held it with my left hand. I've now got a tether so I can keep it in the long vertical right hand pocket on my stich. I can reach in, turn the camera on and then hold it out to shoot. If I have to let go of the camera or drop it, the tether will only allow it to fall into my lap. Some folks are quite good at shooting like this, so I think it's a developed skill. Harvey Mushman has some fantastic ones. Maybe he'll put them up here someplace.

This one has enough reflection that you can see what was going on with the tether and holding the camera:
1443705-M.jpg

Dave,

From your helmet, it looks like you hit the Bovine before
heading out?

Ian

ian408 said:
Dave,

From your helmet, it looks like you hit the Bovine before
heading out?

Ian

Several, actually. :D

Actually, I got those from a friend of mine in VT, Ted Hall. He sells reflective cow stickers.

I'm sure someone here has his email address. I think he's an infrequent visitor to this forum, but you might find him in the membership list.

Didja ever get the feeling......

that maybe it's time to quit for the year? Last Thursday rode the K to work, high in mid-30's, relatively nice day. After work went to the shop, figured it was now or never to road-test a customer's bike(post repairs). LAter on a customer drops off 2 sleds. When it's time to close I go to drag the sleds in and there's this white stuff, resembling powdered sugar, on the sleds and the ground. No worries, just that the roads glistens on the way home.

Took the K for a ride to the shop on Saturday, via a 100-mile detour to the dealer to order up some tune-up parts for the Airhead. Leaving about 8:30am the temp was a balmy 18F. Finally warmed up to mid-30's later in the day. Finished up with an oil change and topped off the tank.

Yesterday (Sunday), was too nice to pass up, low-40's, cranked up the Honda, since it hadn't moved in over a month. Good times were had.

This morning the weather liars reported temps in mid-30's. Cranked up the Airhead, pretty nice ride to the plant. Through the checkpoint (don't ask), approaching "the curves", and have to brake for another Jane Doe in the road. Missed her, but the bike felt "funny". Put down one foot to feel the road and it was slicker than snot on a kid's lip. Strange how wooded areas do that. Managed to make it upright to the shoulder for some traction, then on to the parking lot. Needless to say, I was plenty awake when I got here. Of course I still get the strange looks and remarks from people about riding in cooler weather. My reply, "People ride snowmobiles, don't they?" usually met with open mouths.

Ride safe, and Happy Holidays to all. Is it time to go home yet?

Dave says

Bring on the snowmobile pictures.

Those things are spooky fast these days.

Ok, so here is a pic of three of us riding the Gaspe Peninsula last Feb. My Sled it the Red Viper, 700CC about 130 HP.
Damn I love Two Strokes !

Did I mention Variable Exhaust valves!

Attachments

• viperdaveandylrz.jpg
    viperdaveandylrz.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 25
One last view looking down on the Saint lawrence seaway.

Attachments

• hangcliffswirllrz.jpg
    hangcliffswirllrz.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 22
Back