• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Personal Locator Beacon

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

Due to the recent discussions about the events surrounding the death of James Kim and his family's ordeal in the wilderness there has been some discussion on Personal Locator Beacons.

I mentioned on the Long Distance Riders List that I was going to look into a group buy on a good beacon. Here is the status of this project and what I am trying to do.

First the best device (in my opinion) is the ACR Terra Fix (www.acrterrafix.com). I am very familiar with ACR products, we have them on our tankers and I have carried them on all the recreational yachts I have been responsible for since 1978. I am happy to say that I have been rescued thanks to an ACR EPRIB and on a separate occasion an ACR firefly strobe.

The Terra Fix is a 406 device which means the signal is transmitted to satellites and bounced to NOAA who then coordinates the rescue. Because this is a 406, at the time of purchase you register the unit with NOAA including your personal information, any medical information and a contact number. In the event of activation of the beacon NOAA will call the alternate number. This can be an additional life saver as the rescue teams can be given information about what your were doing (riding a motorcycle perhaps) and other features such as the rider wears a HI-Viz Darien (yet another reason to wear the HI Viz).

At this time the retail price of the TerraFix is $599 w/o GPS and $699 with GPS. My thought is that the GPS is nice but perhaps not completely necessary. The scenario where the GPS would be useful is if you want off a road into a gully and were obscured from above. This is what happened to Jim Young, a rider who perished in Colorado a few years ago. It is up to the individual to decide which is better for your needs. Without the GPS the signal is triangulated by the satellites which gives a good fix, however there is some wait time involved. The GPS unit transmits a position faster.

Currently ACR is offering a $75 rebate for units purchased from a retailer before December 31. I am working with supplier of safety equipment that I have known for years on offering a little discount which combined with the rebate could make this a very good buy. Any arrangement I can set up will be direct between the purchaser and LRS (my vendor), I will get no fee, or kickback from this deal other than the chance of a more discounted unit.

What I need to do is get a feel for exactly how much interest there is in this program. It would be a one shot deal with the purchase having to be made by the end of this month unless the vendor wants to do it again. Even so this is an opportunity to combine a dealer discount with the rebate which will likely not happen again.

If you are interested please send a note to my hotmail address which is beemerrspilot@hotmail.com. Please put PLB only in the subject line. In the body of your message please indicate you level of interest using the following scale.

1 Yes, make me a deal for better than the rebate and I am in.
2 It is something I would like to have and if the deal is good enough I am in.
3 I am interested but not sure if I will buy, please keep me informed.

If we put the deal together and the quantities are limited I will send the announcement e-mail to everyone who put 1 in the body of their message before the lists so they get first crack.

This information will be posted on the following lists / forums.

ADVRIDER.COM (Adventure Riders)
BMW MOA
LD Riders
IBDONE
IBMWR

Feel free to distribute to other lists.

Best,

Rob Nye
Secretary, BMW MOA
Iron Butt Association #250

Awesome idea!! :thumb Just make sure that the unit you get is registered. Remember Mike Plant? He was a solo ocean sailor who got lost in the N Atlantic a few years back. His EPIRB went of, but since he failed to register his, the signal went unanswered by a rescue crew.
I think having a personal locator beacon is a good idea for those who venture way of the beaten path. Just my 0.02 cts

Greetings,

A few things.

Devices like this need a clear view to the sky so if you are in a building collapse it won't help.

For size it is not listed on their website. I was handling one yesterday and it is approximately 6x3x2. If anything I am probably oversized on my estimate. It will easily fit in the chest pocket of my Darien and yes I am prepared to break a few ribs to have it on me should I go down and get seperated from the bike.

It is definately too big for a key chain.

Best,

Rob Nye

riderR1150GSAdv said:
Awesome idea!! :thumb Just make sure that the unit you get is registered. Remember Mike Plant? He was a solo ocean sailor who got lost in the N Atlantic a few years back. His EPIRB went of, but since he failed to register his, the signal went unanswered by a rescue crew.
I think having a personal locator beacon is a good idea for those who venture way of the beaten path. Just my 0.02 cts

Yup.

I remember Mike. I worked for Concordia yachts at the time. Concordia built the boat.

riderR1150GSAdv said:

Yup.

I remember Mike. I worked for Concordia yachts at the time. Concordia built the boat.

robnye said:
Yup.

That was a awesome boat! Did the keel fall off, or did he hit debris in the water???I don't remember. I have worked in the offshore oilfields and one time I was on a supply vessel which hit a cargo container..... The boat was built like a brick sh^thouse and we sustained no damage. ( I was the diver doing that inspection job)
The Capt was nervous but since we weren't taking on water I told the guy we were fine. A case of beer :buds later we were on our way....... :laugh

Holly said:
Alex, your best bet in Iceland would be to rent a local cell phone. Everyone there uses them ALL the time.

Holly

Yes, but I'd assume they only work along the ring road. What about in the center of Iceland? Somehow I doubt they're cover 250+ kms of nothing.

I'd just get the SIM card I would assume, as I have in Europe, and just insert it into my phone and activate it.

What about trying "no-net"?

Just my view..I do a lot of solo activities that could be considered "at-risk" and find that the experience is much more intense and vivid if I don't "trust" to someone coming to my rescue..rather relying on my own judgment and skills to keep me safe...undoubtedly unexpected negative events can injure or kill you...but, just for me, having an electronic link of any kind to the "outside world" so they can come in to save my bacon grossly distorts and diminishes the quality of the adventure...kind of like being in the woods or underwater knowing that apex predators {grizzly bears/white sharks} share your space...it enhances everything...so on my motorcycle adventures I survive or don't on my own abilities and not on the good graces of those enjoined into intervening on my behalf...try it; solo and no electronic "Safety Net"...pure and un-distilled adventure, not fool-hardy stuff, but true adventurebut in todays linked society, being alone is mostly an anathema and very frightening to most it is ultimately about personal assumption of risk; a rare trait indeedsee if you can do it..

My opinions only and to each their ownPhil::

Wallowa said:
...so on my motorcycle adventures I survive or don't on my own abilities and not on the good graces of those enjoined into intervening on my behalf...try it; solo and no electronic "Safety Net"...pure and un-distilled adventure, not fool-hardy stuff, but true adventurebut in todays linked society, being alone is mostly an anathema and very frightening to most it is ultimately about personal assumption of risk; a rare trait indeedsee if you can do it..

I do or haven't you read my opinions on "organized tours"? In fact I long for the day I can sit in Mongolia next to my tent a la LWR but without any support or riding partner to back me up.

But you're missing one scenario. The serious breakdown and no matter how well prepared you think you are, it'll happen sooner or later...unless of course you can predict it, in which case there are a lot of F1 teams that would pay you handsomely. Have one of those in the middle of the Sahara...good luck after the water runs out!

Interior of Iceland

GlobalRider said:
Yes, but I'd assume they only work along the ring road. What about in the center of Iceland? Somehow I doubt they're cover 250+ kms of nothing.

I'd just get the SIM card I would assume, as I have in Europe, and just insert it into my phone and activate it.

Alex, I would guess that they have some sort of cell connection from the interior to save money finding people, but I??ll find out once I get home from Spain. Some years the interior is closed as impassible, but that hasn??t happened for quite a long time.

Since the Icelandic word for phone is simi, my guess is that the SIM card would work. Again, I can get any details you need once I??m home.

HOlly

Wallowa said:
Just my view..I do a lot of solo activities that could be considered "at-risk" and find that the experience is much more intense and vivid if I don't "trust" to someone coming to my rescue..rather relying on my own judgment and skills to keep me safe...undoubtedly unexpected negative events can injure or kill you...but, just for me, having an electronic link of any kind to the "outside world" so they can come in to save my bacon grossly distorts and diminishes the quality of the adventure. Phil::

Great, then you won't mind us honoring your intentions and abandoning you to die when you get injured or lost?

Great idea Rob. I've been considering one for a long time and recent events have underscored the urgnency. I don't get out in the desert alone much anymore, too busy. But it only takes once, right?

Email sent.

Now You Are getting It..

Alex and David #476,

Exactly...I don't expect to be "rescued"..if I get in on my own then it is up to me to get out on my own...this is my choice...and I am not suggesting it for anyone else..

Alex sitting alone in the middle of BFE [Mongolia to use your example] without a support group or that "bail-out" support available at the flick of an electronic switch is an entirely unique and intense experience, ALL your senses are alive...not unlike I assume any early explorer who "went it alone"...it depends on your risk tolerance and self-confidence level, but you must understand that you are betting the farm on your ability to complete a "self-rescue" if things go sour or to accept the consequences of your decisions if you can't..cost-vs-benefit...or as we said in diving, you learn to go up to the edge and curl your toes over it, but not fall over the edge...perhaps this approach is lost on modern man [women] in our obsession for 'security'..I love riding my bikes alone and is extremely remote areas...try it, leave the blanket at home and go explore...or not, your choice...

Phil:::

Wallowa said:
I love riding my bikes alone and is extremely remote areas...try it, leave the blanket at home and go explore...or not, your choice...

Then we think alike. Mind you, finding anything "extremely remote" on this continent is getting to be a challenge.

Have you been up the James Bay Road to Radisson and then the road that heads off it to Chisasibi on James Bay or the Trans Taiga Road that runs off the James Bay Road.

Wow! Great Info Alex..

Thanks for the lead on what looks like wonderful country! All my experience in Canada has been mostly in BC/Alberta and NWT...but this will go into my planning book..my new bike is coming in June, not exactly an adventure touring bike..R1200S...but I will make do!

Thanks again...Phil::

Phil, Welcome and I hear ya' and understand what you're sayin'. I'm a pretty self sufficient guy who has an infinate level of survival skills. I take risks as I weigh them against certain criteria, but some of what I do, or where I go isn't about me anymore. I have a wife and kid on the way, I have to think about them with the decisions I make.

This kind of technology wasn't available to the general public until recently, it's allot cheaper than satellite phones and worth its weight in platinum compared to a VS-17 panel and a smokey fire; when your femur is broken and you just woke up from being unconscious for the last few hours.

I'll bet you pay for insurance to cover the cost of replacement or medical if in an accident. Why not spend $600 one time in your life to be found when that "accident" happens off the beaten path of life?

JMHO - I could live off the land for the rest of my life, but my wife would miss me...

It is always your choice until it's not!

Doc

Greetings,

As some may recall after the James Kim tragedy I mentioned I was going to look into a group by on the ACR Terrafix PLB.

Unfortunately my contacts in the marine industry are unable to sell the Terrafix. The Terrafix is marketed through outdoor outfitters such as REI, EMS and big box retailers and ACR does not allow marine dealers to sell it.

What my friend can sell is the Aquafix, also from ACR. This is the exact same unit as the Terrafix except it is branded for marine use. It transmits on the same frequency and also has the GPS built in.

The company behind this deal is Life Raft and Survival Corp of Portsmouth, RI (www.lrse.com). Owner Jim O'Conner has agreed to sell the ACR Aquafix (www.acraquafix.com) for $476.00 plus shipping (and tax if you are in Rhode Island). For comparison purposes REI is offering the terrafix with GPS I/O for $550.00.

To take advantage of this offer you must contact Life Raft and Survival by telephone at 1-800-451-2127. You will need to provide a credit card number along with your order. This offer is valid until Friday February 9th. Jim will place his order with ACR on the 10th.

Best,

Rob Nye

Back