• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in the Rain

burnszilla

Rainy season is upon us here on the left coast, but I'd rather ride my bike into work than take the truck. My helmet has been fogging up lately so I followed the wisdom from someone who posted here and wiped on a thin film of dish soap on the inside and outside of my visor. Worked like a charm!

One of the fun things I wait for while riding is waiting for that moment of cold water permeating my crotch. Didn't happen today though.

What are some of your favorite things about riding in the rain?

Burnszilla said:
What are some of your favorite things about riding in the rain?

That it's NOT snow!! ;) Been riding in the rain for the last two days here in MI, though only light rain. That's a world better than the blizzard like conditions we had here just a little over a week ago! Gotta get out there when you can get out there this time of year...

Dude, who in their right mind enjoys riding in the rain?

Its usually cold, you can't corner for sh*t, and you have to be extra cautious of the cages. :doh

320660492_882b2f2225.jpg

I find riding in the rain relaxing. Cleansing.

All it means here is that the road spray will coat you in a layer of salt, so the cleansing will take place this weekend when I wash the bikes.

But like wmubrown says, at least its not snow!!!!

Attachments

• rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 188
I took a track day in the rain one time. You'd be amazed at how fast you can actually go when the road is wet.

Riding in the rain

"What are some of your favorite things about riding in the rain?"

Thats simple, having it quit raining!

:dance

KBasa said:
I took a track day in the rain one time. You'd be amazed at how fast you can actually go when the road is wet.

as long as it's above 32 F

Sposed to rain tomorrow. I am riding in to work tonight just so the bike will get cleaned off a bit from my romping around in the woods deer hunting.

What do I like about riding in the rain...that I am riding I guess. Don't really prefer it but like to stay sharp in all conditions so I do it. I stay dry though. I wear a two piece First Gear Rainman suit. Dry as a bone all the time. No leaks so far.

Smile and nod.

There is that split second when you and the driver of the car you just passed are looking at each other and thinking the same thing

Man that must suck to be him

I just smile and nod.

We are often asked our opinion about our gear and in the most crucial aspect, accident protection, most of us are luckily ignorant about how good our gear is ( or isn't). After that the most crucial rating for me is its utility in less than ideal climatic conditions, such as rain, extreme heat or cold or snow. Riding in the rain has never been a problem for me other than gloves. I finally broke down and bought BMW winter gloves which are also rainproof and really work!
I rode from Las Animas, Colorado to Kansas City in 35 degree driving rain one day with my son. I would not trade that ride with my son ( newly home from a year on a bomb squad in Iraq) for the nicest ride in a cage anywhere in the world.

ironMan said:
There is that split second when you and the driver of the car you just passed are looking at each other and thinking the same thing

Man that must suck to be him

I just smile and nod.

That's it. That's my experience. Wow, you are eloquent man! :bliss

Avoiding the Wet Spot

Have to agree with GeneT on this one. One of the most
glorious feelings on a bike is that moment when the sun
finally breaks through after you have been riding in the rain
for a couple of hours. :cat

I took my MSF class in the rain, rained the whole time. I did not know what to do when it stopped raining and the pavement was drive ;)

The moment when you realize you are taking the long route.
Passing people safely.
Sitting at streetlights and stretching.
Arriving wherever you are going and seeing the looks on flatlanders faces.
Post ride shower.

To me, the best part of riding in the rain is getting out of it. I rode too many times because I had to. At this point it's no longer mandatory.

Back