• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Tender Junior for Gel Battery

stevenjmerrill

I just picked up a 2004 R1150RT and was wondering if anyone used the Battery Tender Junior to keep their gel battery charged in the winter? Thanks.

chcrger

Mine on the Junior charger right now and it works fine. I keep it plugged in all winter and never remove it till spring

i ride in the winter but use the bt jr with my bmw exide gel battery. if i haven't used the bike in a week or two and it's been real cold i'll put it on the night before. no problems.

Battery tender on gel battery

Mine stays hooked up to my Battery Tender whenever my R1100R is parked. No problems!

Battery Tender

I agree. The Battery Tender will work just fine.

Congradulations on the new bike; and welcome to the site! You couldn't have come to a better place to get information about your bike. These folks have an amazing amount of knowledge and expertise.

You'll have to let us know how the new bike is working out.

Easy
Kerrville, Texas :german

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
Yogi Berra

I also have '04 R1150RT and was looking into this tender thing.
Batteries on 2003 and 2004 are gel ones and BMW recommends one type for these batteries, while another one - for prier years.
Gel battery has a computer inside and just plugging in any tender could lead to a different than charging/maintining results.
Junior tender is indeed cheaper, than $80+ BMW one, but being cheap - I didn't by either one of them. I just ride my bike on every nice day, despite tempreture.

lokhankin said:
Gel battery has a computer inside and just plugging in any tender could lead to a different than charging/maintining results.

:confused:

i know bmw has computerized every other aspect of the bike in the past few years, but i think the battery is still computer free. it has more to do with the compounds and the "soak" cycle of the more expensive battery tender models.

stevenjmerrill said:
I just picked up a 2004 R1150RT and was wondering if anyone used the Battery Tender Junior to keep their gel battery charged in the winter? Thanks.

Battery Tender Junior +1... :thumb

Inquired about this back in 2004 with Deltran. Lost the E-Mail tho... :doh
Had used a Batt Jr on my 2002 RT with "gel cell" for two years. Never a problem.

Anywho,it's a "voltage thing"...Battery Tender Jr will not harm gel cell batteries.
BUT the regular Batt Tender and Batt Tender Plus will.

MOA magazine (a few years ago) had done an article on the "Batt Tender Issue". It explained how and why the different "Batt Tenders" effected the batterys during charging. Batt Jr was shown to be non-harmful compared to the regular Batt Tender and Batt Tender plus.

lokhankin said:

No computer inside, just a different way of storing a charge.

Just ordered my BT Jr.

Thank you all for the informative discussion. I just ordered my Battery Tender Junior online....

Have a great day.

Last edited:
Here's the deal IIRC

GEL batteries don't like to exceed 14.7 vdc ever. Some chargers will go over 15vdc on initial and then trickle charge at 13.5 or greater. This will shorten the life of the battery.

The "new" BMW chargers and I believe the Bat Tender Jr. are both OK. They initialize at 14.4vdc, trickle at 13.4 and then hold at/around 12.8-13.2vdc.

Another thing is that batteries need to cycle, so if you are one to plug it and forget you may shorten the life span some. If I can't ride 'em they get un-plugged every once in a while for a week or two. (Which isn't hard - one charger - two bikes)

Welcome Steven J.M. glad you found us.

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Have Fun.

Doc

I have a Smart Battery Tender, that I purchased about 8 years ago for my previous motorcycle.

Should I not use that on the battery of my '04 Rockster?

Thanks,
Jeff

BMWRich58 said:
Hopefully you can find your answer(s) on the Battery Tender site
http://batterytender.com/faqs.php

Thanks for the reply, I've been to that site. My model is about 8 or 9 years old, so I need to determine which current model it the equivalent. I'm guessing the Battery Tender Plus, but need to research it further.

Back