• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leakiy Oilhead

easybmwrider

My '96 R1100GS Has started leaking a little oil from the left side. It "seems to be at the junction of the cylinder head and the block. Never much oil, hasn't even left a drop on the carport just enough to make the toe of my boot "shiny". Now the right boot is jealous.:p

Looking for suggestions or other's similar experiences.

Dark Cloud said:
How long has it been since you had your heads torqued and your valve cover gaskets replaced? JON

I have done nor have had done either. The bike was due for the 36K mile service when I bought it. I had that done (ouch $$$$$). I will do the anal retentive valve adjustment AND TBS when I return from home after Thanksgiving. That should take care of the valve cover gaskets. While I am in there should I torque (or re-torque) bolts holding the cylinder to the block. They should be exposed with the valve cover off, correct?

Oilheads cylinder heads only get torqued once at the 600mi service.....set and forget. Trying to tighten them further won't stop the weep, and will likely strip a thread in the engine block. The only sure fix is to take it all apart and re-do all of it....standard stuff for a 7-year old bike.

leaky oilhead

If you just had service done it could be that the donut shaped gasket down behind the valves under the valve cover didn't seat right,that wiil leak oil around the spark plug area and travel from there.
lowrider

Re: leaky oilhead

Lowrider said:
If you just had service done it could be that the donut shaped gasket down behind the valves under the valve cover didn't seat right,that wiil leak oil around the spark plug area and travel from there.
lowrider

Will check out that area today. Will be doing the super-anal valve adj after Thanksgiving.

Back