• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital cameras

rangepig

Brick Flyer
I've had a Nikon D70 dSLR since they came out a couple years ago. I found that as much as I love interchangeable lenses and actually looking through them with a real viewfinder, it's awfully big to take on a motorcycle trip. I have an Otterbox that protects it in my K75RT side case but I can't do all the cool "on the road" shots I see people posting on trip reports because the D70 is just too big to use on the fly.

What do you photo pros and semi-pros use when you're on a motorcycle trip? I've been looking for a good point and shoot that has the option of full manual exposure controls, a decent zoom, and as little shutter lag as possible. A cinematographer buddy at work suggested a Canon Powershot A710. Any other suggestions?

Also, how are you all taking those cool "on the road" shots? What kind of mounts are you using and what sort of protection do you have so the camera doesn't get taken out by a rock or a bug? It seems that Glen Heggstad (world traveller extraordinaire and "Striking Viking" on ADVRider) uses some sort of shoulder holster/chest rig for his point and shoot digital. Anyone else do something similar?

All suggestions appreciated...

I'm no photag but I've been using my Cannon S2IS and it works real well. Its a bit larger then some point and shoot but makes up for it with good optical zoom and would be much smaller then your current set-up, or they have a S3IS now too.

Good Tip - the A710

I use the Canon family being an old Nikon user. Canon just gave more for the money and generally had the new technology out first.

I use the digital rebel with interchangeable lenses but a lot of motorcycle shots are taken with the Canon A700. The A710 has some kind of image stabilization. The nicest thing about the A700 is what it does not have - proprietary batteries. It uses 2 AA batteries. Generally I get 700 to 1000 shots from those batteries but I use the optical viewfinder and avoid the digital screen altogether. AA batteries have to be the most common battery; they are found everywhere.

6X optical zoom and 6 megapixel files

The new ZUMO 555 GPS also views JPEGS on the SD card - very interesting.

Your friend makes a good suggestion.

A710

Yeah, I'm kind of decided on the A710 once I can get my hands on one and check it out. Since it's my buddies job to take pictures for a living (still and video for television) I trust his opinion.

Now I just have to figure out a good, protected way to mount it for pics on the go. Of course, safety first, and the top priority is maintaining control of the motorcycle and maintaining situational awareness (is it just me or is motorcycling a lot like being a fighter pilot? :D )

I make whatever accommodations are necessary to take my Nikon D200 (replaced my D70) with me on major motorcycle or photography trips. I cannot stand being without it! :)

I also keep a small Canon in my tank bag all the time. I believe it is an S70. I use that for unexpected opportunities. It does well, but it isn't the D200. The cover of the March 2006 BMW Owners News was taken with the S70.

Road Shots...
A piece of nylon parachute cord tied to my 'stich and to the Canon SD400. Camera rides in the front zipped up map pocket. Unzip and pull it out to shoot the pix.

I have a D70S that I wear in a holster bag on my chest (when taking shots on the run). I built a quiver attached to my right hard case that I keep a monopod in.

I recommend you consider a panasonic LX1. It has adjustable aspect ratios on the lens (real neat for wide angle shots like landscapes.)

Its a little larger than many P&S cams so the ergos are a little better. Outside dial for P,S,A etc is also nice since you don't have to get to the menu.

I even jerry rigged a polarizer lens.

torags said:
I have a D70S that I wear in a holster bag on my chest (when taking shots on the run).
Wow! You keep your D70 on your chest while riding? That's pretty hardcore. I'd hate to have something that big on my chest if I got in an accident.

I'll probably always take my dSLR with me but I definitely want to get a decent small digital to have easily accessible, especially for road shots. Is the Panasonic the same as the Leica D-Lux? I was considering both these cameras before my friend at work suggested the Canon. I do like that the Canon runs on standard AAs and not some proprietary battery. How's shutter lag on the Panasonic? That's my biggest complaint about smaller digitals and why I bought a D70.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I use my Casio QV-4000. It's a bit older and quite a bit slower but it's been a good camera. It's big enough to hold with gloved hands and has a good zoom range.

Taking those pictures on the fly though requires a cruise control and both hands.

Good luck Jim with what ever you get. I want to get a DSLR but money is diverted to other things right now.

Doc

Fuji Finepix S5200

I'm not sure about riding shots, but I'll let you know when it's unwrapped.

Attachments

• Fuji FinePix S5200.jpg
    Fuji FinePix S5200.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 798
SFDOC said:
Good luck Jim with what ever you get. I want to get a DSLR but money is diverted to other things right now.
Like getting ready for little Doc? :D

Hopefully you'll still have time for the bike after the new arrival. I was looking forward to talking you into a ride this next season.

rangepig said:
Like getting ready for little Doc? :D

Hopefully you'll still have time for the bike after the new arrival. I was looking forward to talking you into a ride this next season.

Yep, got that right.

Ride next season sure contact me anytime you are ready. I may need an excuse to get away... :ha

Attaching the camera is easy

With ram mounts attaching the camera is easy.

Releasing the camera shutter is the challenge.

The tank bag holds the A700. The GIVI case holds the digital rebel. I keep both cameras in bags while riding to avoid vibration.

It is amazing how the price of SD chips has fallen. Price is now around $15 for a gig chip and a couple of bucks more for Compact Flash. My computer even has a slot for SD which makes transfer a snap.

Last edited:
I'm big time with Jeff Dean on this one. Make room and take that Nikon. You will not regret it. What you can do with your SLR cannot be compared to a non SLR. If necessary, I'll leave whatever it takes to maker room for the SLR. Get a bigger tank bag, mortgage the house, do whatever it takes.

Easy
Kerrville, Texas :german

"A healthy male adult bore consumes each year one and a half times his own weight in other people's patience."
John Updike

I typically keep a Canon 10D in my trunk with a extra lens. I keep a Casio Exilim EX-500 tethered to my tankbag. I pull it out when riding to take "action" shots, or to photograph something not quite worth stopping for. It's a great little camera and does a great job. I've not tried playing with mounts...

rangepig said:
Wow! You keep your D70 on your chest while riding? That's pretty hardcore. I'd hate to have something that big on my chest if I got in an accident.

I'll probably always take my dSLR with me but I definitely want to get a decent small digital to have easily accessible, especially for road shots. Is the Panasonic the same as the Leica D-Lux? I was considering both these cameras before my friend at work suggested the Canon. I do like that the Canon runs on standard AAs and not some proprietary battery. How's shutter lag on the Panasonic? That's my biggest complaint about smaller digitals and why I bought a D70.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

same as the Leica D-Lux? = Yes, its the same lens. Except for price. The newer LX2 (more $) has IQ noise problems.

You keep your D70 on your chest while riding? = Only when I get to the destination, not on the journey to...

I haven't noticed shutter lag (or hunt). My knock on the cam is that it eats batt power. I got an extra battery & keep it in the charger. I also have a converter (12v to 110) I plug in my BMW outlet to charge batteries.

Canons are great, you can't go wrong; I just like the wide aspect ratio for landscapes.

Good idea about camera tethers especially if they are stowed in tank bag and used for the quick shot without getting off the bike. :thumb

The majority of decent point and shoot brands were usually around 3X optical zoom and around 5 megapixels. Now they've all moved up to around 7 megapixels and more zoom for even less money. They fit in your pocket and take great photos from your bike.

Great place to buy a cameras on line is B&H Photo in NY . You can select cameras by brand and or features and they have every model you could ever want. Good place to shop and compare since their prices are low and they have every model imaginable. Extremely knowledgeable staff with great service.

I am an amatuer in every sense of the word, but I enjoy photography. I used to carry a SLR with a few different lenses, but it was a load to lug around, set it up, etc. I now have a Kodak Easyshare v550 digital, which I really like a lot. It has 5 MP resolution, a large LED display (2 1/2'), strong battery and takes very nice photos. It's light, so I attach an ordinary lanyard to it and wear it around my neck and tuck the camera inside my jacket. I don't notice the weight on my neck, and it's handy to reach for a quick shot without stopping (still dangerous under the best of circumstances!), and I don't have to worry about dropping it. It's worked well for me and I have some great shots to remember some of my rides by. You can even shoot short video footage with it. It's probably hard to go wrong with any of the suggestions posted so far.

Beware those LED displays

The larger the LED display the shorter the battery life. Use the optical viewfinder and the batteries will last much longer.

Back