• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital cameras

Rangepig:

Digital SLRs are great; they do take wonderful images. However, most people can't tell the difference between the images from an SLR and a point & shoot. There are major differences, but they aren't visible to the average joe.

Like others, I would (and do) carry both. My DSLR fits easily in my tank bag with a 17-85 image stabilized lens. If I want to carry other lenses, they ride in the top case.

But don't discount the power and convenience of a P&S. I bought a Canon S80 because it was the only camera with a built-in 28mm lens (35mm equivalent). However, the camera is too small and refined to handle with gloves on. And some of the most interesting shots are taken while piloting the bike.

IMHO, it's no good mounting it with a RAM mount for stills, because you'll have no control over the composition. I've tried it; it's impracticable. But mounting it is great for taking videos, something the P&S can do that a DSLR doesn't provide for. Wearing it around your neck gives you a place to drop it in case you need to. Obviously do this at your own risk.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look really hard at one of these:

sd800is_586x225.jpg

Your buddy is right on with his suggestion. They're about $325 online (at B&H). 7.1 megapixels, huge screen, lots of user control, a smooth and friendly user interface, and image stabilization. What more could you want? Canon is far and away the best selling digital camera, and they are pouring tons of money into their research and development. It's hard to buy any camera today that doesn't have some Canon proprietary technology on board. They are making great stuff.

dslr. 5D and a 24-105 will fit nicely in the tank bag. For on the road, I have
an SD600. I keep this on a lanyard around my neck. One thing is the SD
series aren't as easy as you might like to work with gloves. It just takes
practice.

As far as a ram mount? Forget about it. Ignoring composition, it will rattle
the bejesus out of your camera. Now if you want a tripod, grab a little
backpacker from REI. It's got a hook & loop fastner that will attach the
whole thing to a mirror if you need to.

Good luck and let us see some of your M/C shots!

Ian

P.S. I'll put a shameless plug for www.dgrin.com. If you want to learn
more about photography, that's the friendliest place :D

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll probably continue to bring my dSLR along and keep a point and shoot in my jacket pocket or tank bag as many of you have suggested.

I actually have been into photography for years. I've used 35mm SLRs since I was a teenager in high school, which is why even in a point and shoot I like having full manual control as an option. Kinda quit for awhile as film processing became tedious. Digital has rekindled my interest, and Photoshop is not nearly as messy as measuring chemicals!

There are plenty of P&S cameras that run full manual. Some of the coolpix
lineup as well as S60/S50's from Canon.

ian408 said:
As far as a ram mount? Forget about it. Ignoring composition, it will rattle
the bejesus out of your camera.

That's exactly what I would have thought, too. But I mounted my P&S on a ram mount to the mirror on the left handlebar and shot video. The shots are as steady as can be. Maybe because the RT has a good ride, and I was on relatively good roads...

SNC1923 said:
Rangepig:

Digital SLRs are great; they do take wonderful images. However, most people can't tell the difference between the images from an SLR and a point & shoot. There are major differences, but they aren't visible to the average joe.

Like others, I would (and do) carry both. My DSLR fits easily in my tank bag with a 17-85 image stabilized lens. If I want to carry other lenses, they ride in the top case.

But don't discount the power and convenience of a P&S. I bought a Canon S80 because it was the only camera with a built-in 28mm lens (35mm equivalent). However, the camera is too small and refined to handle with gloves on. And some of the most interesting shots are taken while piloting the bike.

IMHO, it's no good mounting it with a RAM mount for stills, because you'll have no control over the composition. I've tried it; it's impracticable. But mounting it is great for taking videos, something the P&S can do that a DSLR doesn't provide for. Wearing it around your neck gives you a place to drop it in case you need to. Obviously do this at your own risk.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look really hard at one of these:

sd800is_586x225.jpg

I just picked up one of these sd800's,and am impressed.

dancogan said:
That's exactly what I would have thought, too. But I mounted my P&S on a ram mount to the mirror on the left handlebar and shot video. The shots are as steady as can be. Maybe because the RT has a good ride, and I was on relatively good roads...

It's not so much the big bumps but constant vibration that does the damage.

Time to add my 2 cents...
I've been a Nikon fan forever.. Starting way back with my first F-2 film camera to my D200 digital, with many in between.. However when I decided I wanted something small to carry while riding I opted for the OLYMPUS STYLUS 720 SW...
The reason being I wanted something small to fit in the breast pocket on my jacket. And besides being flat and thin the 720 is shock and waterproof.. Just thought I'd throw another option out for you to consider.

Nikon Coolpix 5400

There are so many good P&S digital cameras today it's hard to pick through them, and lot's of good ones mentioned here. However, I'm going to suggest a camera you can't buy new any more, but can readily get used for a reasonable price (plenty on eBay): the Nikon Coolpix 5400. Some of the reasons I like it:

- 5.1mp (good for up to 16x20)
- 4x optical zoom, 28 ~ 116mm 35mm equivalent
- flip out (articulated) screen which folds w/screen against the camera body
- real lens cap (better protection than built-in leaf-type lens covers)
- excellent optics (ED glass)
- secure hand grip and can be run with gloves
- shutter lag times as low as 2/10th sec
- will save in true RAW mode (best for post-processing)
- fully Auto mode, but with Shutter or Aperture priority and fully Manual
- diopter adjustment for optical viewfinder
- will take an external flash

I believe I read it has an alloy frame, and with the fold-in screen and lens cap I think this camera will live in a tank-bag just fine. IMO a 28mm lens is more useful than a longer lens for so many situations. I can hold this camera securely with one hand on the bike and use the articulated screen to get a good guess of what I'm shoot (sitting still, naturally - never shoot pictures while moving ;)). Lots of P&S cameras have manual or semi-automatic modes, but using them is so hard they are not very useful. To me, the controls on this camera let you use all the modes very similarly to an SLR. In fact, it reminds me much of my digital SLR camera.

Knock offs are the relatively small screen size (1.5") and it only gets moderate life out of a battery charge. You can use fairly common 245 lithums, however as spares. More here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon5400.html

Attachments

• Coolpix5400.jpg
    Coolpix5400.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 418
I shoot with a Nikon D50 (DSLR) for these:

104039651-L.jpg

I use a Canon S500 point and shoot for these:

114746393-L.jpg

For shooting in motion, I use a lanyard around my neck and keep the camera in the big right side pocket of my 'stich. I can get the camera out and operate it with one hand pretty much by feel now.

I used to shoot pictures with a Pentax K1000 or ME Super, but the form factor kept me from taking many pictures. I added a Canon IQ Zoom P&S about 15 years ago and started taking many more photos because the camera was handy.

That's been my experience with digital P&S cameras - they get used because you can keep them handy.

Camera

I have a Casio Exilim Z60 which I am able to keep in a pocket. It takes great pictures. I feel the importent point of this camera is that it is small and I am able to take it with me.

Now that the cameras are exposed

Now that our favorite cameras have been exposed how about the camera case? Ideally it should hold the camera security and have many, many pockets to store:

batteries
digital chips
batteries
maybe a hub multiplier
digital card reader

My nomination for meeting all of the above is the pod squad by RoadWired.

What is your favorite? :heart

What do you store in there?

Last edited:
PAULBACH said:
Now that our favorite cameras have been exposed how about the camera case. Ideally it should hold the camera security and have many, many pockets to store:

My nomination . . . is the pod squad by RoadWired.

What is your favorite? :heart

What do you store in there?

Paul,

That's a COOL looking bag--small, full of features, and oodles of storage; I've never seen one before. I'm all Lowepro all the time. I have a Nova 1, 2, and 5, and I just bought a slingshot 200. It will hold my

Rebel XT
EF-S 10-22
EF-S 17-85 IS
EF 85 f/1.8
EF 70-300 IS
all hoods stored attached
430EX speedlight
various cords, filters, batteries, flash cards, etc.

The real benefit is that if I run out of room in the topcase, it rides comfortablly on my back. I really dig this case for traveling.

LOWEPRO-Slingshot-200-AW.jpg
SlingShot200_img.jpg

SNC1923 said:
I'm all Lowepro all the time. I have a Nova 1, 2, and 5, and I just bought a slingshot 200.

The real benefit is that if I run out of room in the topcase, it rides comfortablly on my back. I really dig this case for traveling.

LOWEPRO-Slingshot-200-AW.jpg
SlingShot200_img.jpg

I have the same bag for my Olympus E-300 dSLR system and just love it. Best motorcycle SLR bag I've found. You can stop and shot from it with a quick rotation from your back - about as quick as a tank-bag camera. It even has a built-in rain cover. :thumb

Also in mix

My nephew is a pro who works with Getty.

He also recommended the Think Tank line.

That Lowepro looks great but just too large. I do have the lowepro backpack for hauling large amounts long distance.

How about suggestions for a day on the road 200 ~ 300 miles with lots of stops to take pictures.

Maybe like the trip next summer from here (near Vermont) to West Bend, WI? :dance

PAULBACH said:
How about suggestions for a day on the road 200 ~ 300 miles with lots of stops to take pictures.

If you like the backpack style, Lowepro makes a slingshot 100 as well. It's significantly smaller. They're introducing a 300 as well, but who wants to carry all that on his back?

Tamrac and Lowepro make a TON of backpacks, as does Crumpler and a bunch of other manufacturers.

And I thought...

And I thought choosing the camera was the tough part. The bag is just as hard but I have seen some great suggestions in just a few minutes. :clap

PAULBACH said:
My nephew is a pro who works with Getty.

He also recommended the Think Tank line.

That Lowepro looks great but just too large. I do have the lowepro backpack for hauling large amounts long distance.

Maybe like the trip next summer from here (near Vermont) to West Bend, WI? :dance

I have to correct myself: I have the Lowepro Slingshot 100 - the smallest one.

It is for 35mm film or digital SLR cameras, but for that use I would suggest taking a look at one in the flesh. It will pack into a saddle bag (or tie on the back) or you can wear it, both on and off the bike. Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion other than your tank bag for a P&S camera. :dunno

I'm kind of a bag whore, with a couple briefcases, a few backpacks, courier bags and miscellaneous organization bags. When I went to buy a camera bag, I thought about what I really carry.

Usually, that's the DSLR, the S500, a couple spare batteries, some lens cleaning stuff and, sometimes, a longer/shorter lens. Knowing that I will fill a bag with junk faster than you can believe, I bought the smalles bag that could comfortably hold that short list and a smidge more.

I settled on a Lowe EX160. It fits in a saddlebag, could fit in my GS's tank bag and might fit in an Eclipse SportPak tankbag on the bottom. It's got a shoulder strap, so you can wear it just on your shoulder or in full cross chest.

I like it.

Greg's got a pretty sweet LowePro bag, but he carries a bunch of nice stuff with him.

EX140_gray_rt_equip.jpg

Back