• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel light stays on ???

J

jackyd

I just purchased a 1995 R1100R with 18k miles. After driving for about 200 miles fuel light began to come on when tank was about 1/2 full. Now light stays on continually, even after fill up.

Any suggestions to how to fix?

Jack

maty be a sticky float or prox switch. try some Chevron Techron in the tank and swirl, or remove float sender and clean and inspect.

Had a Similar problem

I had a similar problem on my R1100RT, after a service which included the fuel filter change out. The independent shop I was using, had to go back into the tank. They found that the Low Level Amber light float sensor was hanging up on one of the hose clamps in the tank.

Low Fuel Light Stays On

Phil

I hope it is that simple

Thanks

JACK

jackyd said:
I just purchased a 1995 R1100R with 18k miles. After driving for about 200 miles fuel light began to come on when tank was about 1/2 full. Now light stays on continually, even after fill up.

Any suggestions to how to fix?

Jack

200 miles without filling up??? that would be much more than half a tank on that particular model, 5.5 gallons, considering the average mpg of a 1100 series oilhead to be 40-45mpg would mean your gas light should be coming on right around 180 miles or so.

BubbaZanetti said:
200 miles without filling up??? that would be much more than half a tank on that particular model, 5.5 gallons, considering the average mpg of a 1100 series oilhead to be 40-45mpg would mean your gas light should be coming on right around 180 miles or so.

i read his post as... "for the first 200 miles i rode the bike, everything was fine. then i started having problems with the fuel light. it came on when i still had half a tank fo fuel. now it stays on all the time."

:dunno

username said:
i read his post as... "for the first 200 miles i rode the bike, everything was fine. then i started having problems with the fuel light. it came on when i still had half a tank fo fuel. now it stays on all the time."

:dunno

i also read it that way too, i was just suggesting the obvious.

BubbaZanetti said:
i also read it that way too, i was just suggesting the obvious.

oh sure, claim you read it that way after i 'splain it to you. :D

i hope he posts a follow up and let's us know what the heck the problem is/was.

First 200 miles

Sorry for confusion.

I filled up a few times during first 200 miles with no problem.

After the first few fill ups, problems began with fuel light and progressively got worse.

Hoping it is a "stuck" float. Will let you know when I get time to work on bike

Jack

I had a similar issue on my GS. It turned out to be a faulty sender and was replaced under warranty. The dealer also suggested that pointing the gas pump nozzle into the right side of my tank can also force the float under pressure and damage it, then the calibration will be skewed. This may have been it too.

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
I had a similar issue on my GS. It turned out to be a faulty sender and was replaced under warranty. The dealer also suggested that pointing the gas pump nozzle into the right side of my tank can also force the float under pressure and damage it, then the calibration will be skewed. This may have been it too.

Ain't gonna be warranty on a 95. Damn :deal

jackyd said:
Sorry for confusion.

I filled up a few times during first 200 miles with no problem.

After the first few fill ups, problems began with fuel light and progressively got worse.

Hoping it is a "stuck" float. Will let you know when I get time to work on bike

Jack

turn it upside down and shake it. float may come unstuck. good luck. :D

only kidding.

You had me for .5 second

Bfish said:
turn it upside down and shake it. float may come unstuck. good luck. :D

only kidding.

I started to look for an attachment that would explain how it easy it is to build a stand that would allow you to lift, turn over & shake the bike (warning tank should not be more than 1/2 full !!!)

I'll try something more conventional

Jack

mystery solved

Discussed problem of fuel light with mechanice at Mortons BMW, Fredericksburg Va. His first question was if a vacum could be forming in tank. Yes it could, when I popped the fuel latch a "swish" sound sometimes occurred.
He suggested disconnecting fuel tank line to charcoal cannister (probably has an obstruction) until the line could be checked out.
No fuel light problem since

Jack

Back