Thread: To start or not start bike in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler
    You should ride a bike at lest 10 miles to get it warm enough to purge moisture and contaminants.
    I was able to do some extra purging today and will probably do even more tomorrow. Winters in SE PA aren't so bad.
    Terence
    Current rides R75/5 R100RS R1150RT
    Past rides K100RS R1100S
    My Smugmug

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by 90256
    I have a general question for all whom might want to answer. Being from Wisconsin where the bikes usually have to sleep in the winter, should I start the bikes up occasionally (say once a month) or just keep the chargers on and let them sit until spring? Thank-you and have a wonderful day.
    Jest put in the Living room My GS is

BobMielke
    Derek you've comitted a sin. You've shown us a clean beautiful BMW when it's rainy & gloomy & cold outside. If that's an old pic taken in fair weather then ok but don't torture a poor man.

Exclamation

Hi Folks

Everyone talks about how good Stabil is for winter layup and I have used it on many engines. My dealer says do not use it unless you want seal damage. Since most seem to use it, there should be a serious rush for seal replacement job, which I haven't heard about.
    Any ideas.
    SE WI is going to be 40 f today and I would be out if there wasn't a quarter mi of ice between the bike and the town road.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by OrchardRT
    Hi Folks

Everyone talks about how good Stabil is for winter layup and I have used it on many engines. My dealer says do not use it unless you want seal damage. Since most seem to use it, there should be a serious rush for seal replacement job, which I haven't heard about.
    Any ideas.
    SE WI is going to be 40 f today and I would be out if there wasn't a quarter mi of ice between the bike and the town road.

Merry Christmas

What seals is he talking about? Fuel systems have o-rings, but not seals in the conventional meaning of the term. At any rate, I've used Stabil in both airheads and K-bikes for many years, and other vehicles and never had a problem. I'd be curious what he's referring to.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by OrchardRT
    Hi Folks

Any ideas.

Merry Christmas
    He probably doesn't like Stabil because of all the lost revenue to him from people who use it. If everyone used it there would be no spring time rush of people bringing in gummed up fuel systems.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '09 F650GS '15 Ducati Multistrada

Crow18
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler
    What seals is he talking about? Fuel systems have o-rings, but not seals in the conventional meaning of the term. At any rate, I've used Stabil in both airheads and K-bikes for many years, and other vehicles and never had a problem. I'd be curious what he's referring to.
    Maybe he's talking about clubbing baby seals (you would need the really big bottle of Stabil to do this right).

But since most Beemer riders are too old to go clubbing, that's probably not it.

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Crow18
    Maybe he's talking about clubbing baby seals (you would need the really big bottle of Stabil to do this right).

But since most Beemer riders are too old to go clubbing, that's probably not it.
    Naa, that can't be it. I think he is referring to what happens to "SEALS" (the SOF type) when they do land based "Stability" operations. They get gummed up and break down...
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Clubbing? Isn't that similar to bar-hopping?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic
    Clubbing? Isn't that similar to bar-hopping?

but with more bass

mrich12000

Talking Ride it

Still riding in this December weather.
    Last edited by mrich12000; 07-30-2007 at 06:57 AM.