• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To start or not start bike in the winter

terham

BeemerBoy
GregFeeler said:
You should ride a bike at lest 10 miles to get it warm enough to purge moisture and contaminants.

I was able to do some extra purging today and will probably do even more tomorrow. Winters in SE PA aren't so bad. :D

90256 said:
I have a general question for all whom might want to answer. Being from Wisconsin where the bikes usually have to sleep in the winter, should I start the bikes up occasionally (say once a month) or just keep the chargers on and let them sit until spring? Thank-you and have a wonderful day.
Jest put in the Living room My GS is :wave

Derek you've comitted a sin. You've shown us a clean beautiful BMW when it's rainy & gloomy & cold outside. If that's an old pic taken in fair weather then ok but don't torture a poor man. :stick :violin :bikes

Hi Folks

Everyone talks about how good Stabil is for winter layup and I have used it on many engines. My dealer says do not use it unless you want seal damage. Since most seem to use it, there should be a serious rush for seal replacement job, which I haven't heard about.
Any ideas.
SE WI is going to be 40 f today and I would be out if there wasn't a quarter mi of ice between the bike and the town road.

Merry Christmas

OrchardRT said:
Hi Folks

Everyone talks about how good Stabil is for winter layup and I have used it on many engines. My dealer says do not use it unless you want seal damage. Since most seem to use it, there should be a serious rush for seal replacement job, which I haven't heard about.
Any ideas.
SE WI is going to be 40 f today and I would be out if there wasn't a quarter mi of ice between the bike and the town road.

Merry Christmas

What seals is he talking about? Fuel systems have o-rings, but not seals in the conventional meaning of the term. At any rate, I've used Stabil in both airheads and K-bikes for many years, and other vehicles and never had a problem. I'd be curious what he's referring to. :dunno

OrchardRT said:
Hi Folks

Any ideas.

Merry Christmas

He probably doesn't like Stabil because of all the lost revenue to him from people who use it. If everyone used it there would be no spring time rush of people bringing in gummed up fuel systems.

GregFeeler said:
What seals is he talking about? Fuel systems have o-rings, but not seals in the conventional meaning of the term. At any rate, I've used Stabil in both airheads and K-bikes for many years, and other vehicles and never had a problem. I'd be curious what he's referring to. :dunno

Maybe he's talking about clubbing baby seals (you would need the really big bottle of Stabil to do this right).

But since most Beemer riders are too old to go clubbing, that's probably not it.

Crow18 said:
Maybe he's talking about clubbing baby seals (you would need the really big bottle of Stabil to do this right).

But since most Beemer riders are too old to go clubbing, that's probably not it.

Naa, that can't be it. I think he is referring to what happens to "SEALS" (the SOF type) when they do land based "Stability" operations. They get gummed up and break down... :ha

Ride it

Still :wave riding in this December weather.

Last edited:
Back