Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To The Rally from the East

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

To The Rally from the East

Anyone have any favorite routes from the East that should be included in an upcoming ON article?

Routes from "The East" which might include your favorite routes from

Maine
    Massachusetts
    New Hampshire
    Vermont

Iron Butt route is already calculated from Boston 1,110 Miles. A minute man might do it in a day. A shorter and perhaps faster route is possible but would involve a perfect connection with a ferry across Lake Michigan.

Map Source: Microsoft Streets and Trips
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I would say avoid Chicago and take the ferry across the lake.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Nothing is ever simple

From all accounts it is best to avoid Chicago. This route utilizes the Lake Express Ferry. The mileage drops to

919 miles
    but
    2 Days and 34 minutes

Still plotting those "butter butt" routes where one stops and smells the flowers like Vermont's Rt 17 and the Appalachian Notch.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    From all accounts it is best to avoid Chicago. This route utilizes the Lake Express Ferry. The mileage drops to

919 miles
    but
    2 Days and 34 minutes

Still plotting those "butter butt" routes where one stops and smells the flowers like Vermont's Rt 17 and the Appalachian Notch.
    This is a good route. I might even go around the north side of the lakes and drop down through the Soo and Escanaba. I'd certainly do that before doing the south of the lakes Chicago route.

We went north of the lakes going to and coming from Vermont last year. Further, but further is good if it keeps me out of the rust belt. YMMV
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

belquar
    If I get to go I was thinking...

First night the shores of Georgian Bay. Second night Thunder Bay area. 3rd at the rally.

Brian

Save the dessert for last

This is the route I worked out for my own use. The first day, when fresher, do the slab. Then the second day, head north, cross the big bridge, take lots of pictures and smell the flowers. Get going early in the morning and will be at the B&B in the evening.

1144 Miles
    2 days and 18 minutes
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 12-02-2006 at 04:08 PM.

of course, there's the nut-ball way i'd take if i were going that way... 4 days, 1500 miles...

Nut-Ball?

Looks a great return route to take home.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 12-02-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Alpine ~ West Bend

The shortest route is
    1514 miles
    2 Days 48 minutes (more or less)
    How would you like to modify it?

Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    of course, there's the nut-ball way i'd take if i were going that way... 4 days, 1500 miles...

...done it. Enjoyed it all....except all those cute little deer at midnight on the Wisconsin end of the trip (but that was in hour 21). -Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

This is the route I worked out for my own use. The first day, when fresher, do the slab. Then the second day, head north, cross the big bridge, take lots of pictures and smell the flowers. Get going early in the morning and will be at the B&B in the evening.
    1144 Miles
    2 days and 18 minutes
    If this is your route, you will come within 20 miles of my house. You are welcome to camp in my back yard and have a hot shower and coffee in the morning. It actually will not be out of your way because you can continue West to U.S. 127 then head straight North to the "Bridge".
    Fritz in Owosso, MI
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Now that is hospitality

I like that offer. Is the snow melted by July?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    A large choice of route selection is what type of road you enjoy riding to get there. Some people take Interstate out to make good time, other people like to meander and do state roads and make it a trip. So that is something to consider as you are planning, how do you like to ride?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

No snow!

I like that offer. Is the snow melted by July?
    I live in Southern Michigan. We have palm trees here!

http://www.amishdonkey.com/laughing-cat.php

There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

1144 Miles
    2 days and 18 minutes

This is a great route, however, if you can afford a little extra time take the back roads from Manistee to Northport then across to the bridge from there. The views and the quaint towns will reward your efforts.