• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To The Rally from the East

PAULBACH

Anyone have any favorite routes from the East that should be included in an upcoming ON article?

Routes from "The East" which might include your favorite routes from

Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont

Iron Butt route is already calculated from Boston 1,110 Miles. A minute man might do it in a day. A shorter and perhaps faster route is possible but would involve a perfect connection with a ferry across Lake Michigan.

Map Source: Microsoft Streets and Trips

Attachments

• Iron Butt.jpg
    Iron Butt.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 285
Nothing is ever simple

From all accounts it is best to avoid Chicago. This route utilizes the Lake Express Ferry. The mileage drops to

919 miles
but
2 Days and 34 minutes

Still plotting those "butter butt" routes where one stops and smells the flowers like Vermont's Rt 17 and the Appalachian Notch.

Attachments

• Boston_Ferry_Rally.jpg
    Boston_Ferry_Rally.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 268
PAULBACH said:
From all accounts it is best to avoid Chicago. This route utilizes the Lake Express Ferry. The mileage drops to

919 miles
but
2 Days and 34 minutes

Still plotting those "butter butt" routes where one stops and smells the flowers like Vermont's Rt 17 and the Appalachian Notch.

This is a good route. I might even go around the north side of the lakes and drop down through the Soo and Escanaba. I'd certainly do that before doing the south of the lakes Chicago route.

We went north of the lakes going to and coming from Vermont last year. Further, but further is good if it keeps me out of the rust belt. YMMV

If I get to go I was thinking...

First night the shores of Georgian Bay. Second night Thunder Bay area. 3rd at the rally.

Brian

Save the dessert for last

This is the route I worked out for my own use. The first day, when fresher, do the slab. Then the second day, head north, cross the big bridge, take lots of pictures and smell the flowers. Get going early in the morning and will be at the B&B in the evening.

1144 Miles
2 days and 18 minutes

Attachments

• Up Michigan.jpg
    Up Michigan.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
of course, there's the nut-ball way i'd take if i were going that way... 4 days, 1500 miles... :p

boston_westbend.jpg

Alpine ~ West Bend

The shortest route is
1514 miles
2 Days 48 minutes (more or less)
How would you like to modify it?

Attachments

• Alpine ~ West Bend.jpg
    Alpine ~ West Bend.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 239
Visian said:
of course, there's the nut-ball way i'd take if i were going that way... 4 days, 1500 miles... :p

boston_westbend.jpg

...done it. Enjoyed it all....except all those cute little deer at midnight on the Wisconsin end of the trip (but that was in hour 21). -Bob

PAULBACH said:
This is the route I worked out for my own use. The first day, when fresher, do the slab. Then the second day, head north, cross the big bridge, take lots of pictures and smell the flowers. Get going early in the morning and will be at the B&B in the evening.
1144 Miles
2 days and 18 minutes

If this is your route, you will come within 20 miles of my house. You are welcome to camp in my back yard and have a hot shower and coffee in the morning. It actually will not be out of your way because you can continue West to U.S. 127 then head straight North to the "Bridge".
Fritz in Owosso, MI
:bikes

A large choice of route selection is what type of road you enjoy riding to get there. Some people take Interstate out to make good time, other people like to meander and do state roads and make it a trip. So that is something to consider as you are planning, how do you like to ride?

PAULBACH said:

1144 Miles
2 days and 18 minutes

This is a great route, however, if you can afford a little extra time take the back roads from Manistee to Northport then across to the bridge from there. The views and the quaint towns will reward your efforts.

M-119

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
This is a great route, however, if you can afford a little extra time take the back roads from Manistee to Northport then across to the bridge from there. The views and the quaint towns will reward your efforts.

M-119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village is a must for any cyclist going north in Michigan. It is our Deals Gap but with NO shoulder!!!!! Just big pine trees!!!
When you get to Cross Village, be sure to lunch at Legs Inn for delicious Polish cuisine. It is a very popular stop and you can look out over beautiful Lake Michigan while you dine.

m119.jpg

Outstanding tip

Outstanding tip and suggestion. I like the map also. Thanks to you and the PaintGuy for the help.

Last edited:
You are welcome, and here is a route too that was good. Incidentally the American Motorcyclist Magazine from AMA had a feature story on the Dorr County Peninsula that was outstanding this past month if you happened to get it. If not I am sure a copy can be arranged. Good luck,
Andy

Last edited:
Back