• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Under the stich and over the jeans

H

Harrington

What do the cold weather riders wear over jeans, under a Roadcrafter? I typically just put on long Johns when the temps get to the 30s. I'll be taking a ride up to Russell in a few weeks and want to be prepared for 4 hours of cold riding..

I didn't mention......California flatland cold.

I think the deal is to wear the insulation closer to your body, as in long underwear and electric socks. Something over the jeans would probably be so bulky your roadcrafter wouldn't fit. Besides, it doesn't really get "that" cold on I-5, not compared to riding in freezing weather like those crazy Rounders. Slip on the thermals and ride!

Layers are the key.

Something to wick away moister and insulate against the body.
Dump the jeans and cotton in general for a poly blend which nsulates better than jeans.
Electrics vests and leggings over the pants.
Balaclava or bandana to protect the neck.
Winter gloves or a very thin glove inside a good riding glove will keep your hands amazingly warm.
Waterproof boots.

Stop more frequently, peal down the gear and warm up with a cup of coffee or soup.

Re Rounders: Most often associated with cold weather riding becoming a full Rounder involves a heat component; the idea is year round riding after all.

I just wear flannel lined jeans when temps drop down to 20-30 degrees
with a stop every 100 miles for coffee

I don't wear jeans in the real cold, I opt for light weight leggings type pants, then I put my Gerbing electric pants over those. Jeans bunch up too much and are too thick to wear electrics over them.
You want only one layer between you and your electrics, of you go that route. I prefer them, they are less bulkey then layers and add a good wind protection layer.

Crazy Rounder :thumb
Gail

I ride all the time in the winter in the Central Valley with my Roadcrafter. I have never felt the need to add more than jeans for my legs. I do use layering on my upper body with typically a shirt and leather jacket or my old Irish fishing sweater over a shirt and then the Roadcrafter. Seems good for me for several hours down into the mid 30's. Of course, I am addicted to expresso and do stop when I see a Starbuks for a quick jolt. Maybe that takes the place of the electric clothing? The only parts of me that seem to get too cold are the backs of my hands and sometimes my face (beard helps though). Electric gloves would be nice. Sometimes my face - I use a 3/4 helmet with a pull down shield so a balaclava is nice occasionally or a wool scarf. Anyway, wouldn't want to get too comfortable of I might think I'm in the cage. :D

I have the balaclava, UA winter shirt, Gerbing jacket, waterproof boots, Rev'it phase shift waterproof winter gloves, Nikwaxed to the hilt Roadcrafter all behind a 12RT. The only thing I think I don't have nailed is heat for the feet and legs. I crank up the heated seat to keep my butt warm and the grips for the hands. I'll probably just go the thermal route for socks and pants.

I was looking for the perfect setup for 30 degree days. I've ridden plenty in the cold and would rather find that setup where I could ride indefinitely. I've just about have perfection.....I'm just looking for that last missing piece.

Thanks for info.

So here is what I have used down to 19F for a 200 mile ride.

Silk Long Johns
Long Sleeve Polypro Top
Flannel Lined Jeans
Thick Insulated Socks
Gerbings Heated Liner
Fleece over the gerbing
Balcalava
Held Storm Gloves
Aerostich Roadcrafter zipped up as much as possible

Seemed to do okay. Although the L&T Wife said I looked like Pib, the Michelin Man, and well dealing with the call of nature was a little bit of an ordeal.

BradfordBenn said:
So here is what I have used down to 19F for a 200 mile ride.

Silk Long Johns
Long Sleeve Polypro Top
Flannel Lined Jeans
Thick Insulated Socks
Gerbings Heated Liner
Fleece over the gerbing
Balcalava
Held Storm Gloves
Aerostich Roadcrafter zipped up as much as possible

Seemed to do okay. Although the L&T Wife said I looked like Pib, the Michelin Man, and well dealing with the call of nature was a little bit of an ordeal.

I was looking for an offset zipper windproof fleece for over the Gerbing. I think Riderswearhouse might be my only option.

90% wool -10% silk blend union suit goes where no one has gone before ...

Just added Gerbing pants to my (Gerbing) jacket. Nice... ;)

Now I'm pretty toasty down to 30dF. But, I did notice right away that the charging system is taxed to the max with PIAAs on and running below 3,000 RPM. I didn't have a charging problem until I added pants to the system - Just My Observation.

Doc

SFDOC said:
Just added Gerbing pants to my (Gerbing) jacket. Nice... ;)

Now I'm pretty toasty down to 30dF. But, I did notice right away that the charging system is taxed to the max with PIAAs on and running below 3,000 RPM. I didn't have a charging problem until I added pants to the system - Just My Observation.

Doc

What bike are you running? Is it the 600watts of the 12GS?

Harrington said:
What bike are you running? Is it the 600watts of the 12GS?

My '02 R1150GS can't remember off the top of my head what the wattage is, but it has handled the lights and all the other stuff I've added. It works fine over 3,000 RPM running the lights or idling with the PIAAs turned off (i.e., grip heaters, jacket and pants).

I have a Digital Volt Meter hard wired so I can see what's happening pretty quickly all the time. It dropped down to 11.2 volts at idle and wouldn't charge over 13.2 at speed running the pants. Before this it would charge about 13.4 - 13.8.

I haven't been on any long runs with the pants but they would be fine IMO I was doing a lot of stop and go at the time.

I've only been able to wear them the one time. But I was very warm with just the stich, Gerbings, t-shirt and jeans at 30-33 degrees for a 25-mile run between home's.

Doc

My favorite cold weather setup for "bottoms" is the BMW phase-change material long johns under a pair of heavy wool pants, under my Stich. I got the wool pants as an overstock item from Campmore a few years ago. They are Australian or New Zealand military surplus, probably from WWII. Really quite warm, but those 6 or 7 buttons (no zipper) are a major pain. But ... they are warm, so ... I wear them.

I'm riding down to So Cal this weekend to camp with some guys. It's going to be fairly cool all day, but in the morning, I'm sure it'll be pretty cold.

Expedition weight REI tops and bottoms
Wool socks
Jean
Electric jacket (Gerbings liner, uninsulated)
Fleece long sleeve pullover (looks like a shirt)
100 weight fleece Aerostich liner.

I wear an Aerostich, usually, with a pair of Oxtar squidly boots.

I'll have two pair of gloves. Some Held Galaxys, for when the weather's warmer and some BMW Winter gloves for when it's not.

Probably wear the Schuberth for a lid.

I try to stay away from cotton and stick to synthetic fabrics. My thought is that polypropolene wicks moisture away from you, which keeps you dry and warm.

jeans

Jeans don't work. They don't insulate, and they're uncomfortable.

I alpine skied in blue jeans for 25 years. I'm a slow learner.

Rinty

Back