• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What kind of electrical farkles would you like to see?

lewisec

We are constantly looking for new products to develop and were wondering whats on your wish list? One of our advantages since we build in the US is that we can produce in less quantity and still be able to justify a production run...obviously the more we build, the less the cost of the part. In return for the idea (for something that we can produce) is to provide the suggestor with theirs free. Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

This product was the suggestion of a customer:

http://electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/02350.htm

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Lewis

A clip-on cigarette style female power socket with 2' of chord and a BMW style male plug at the end.

I would like a combo - CB, radar detector, intercom, GPS.
About 3" X 4" X 1"
With several different mounting brackets.

I am looking for a jumper for the fuel pump on my Roadster.

I would like to be able to disconnect the current electrics, remove the tank and place it on a secure stand and then connect the tank and the bike using the jumper. This would allow me to run the bike and make the adjustments that are required to be made while the engine is running.

In a perfect world the jumper would be a minimum of 8 feet long, longer if possible. It should have heat shrink shielding that is high viz yellow or red so that you are less likely to trip over it.

I have the stand. I have the fuel plumbing. I donÔÇÖt have the jumper.

lewisec said:
Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

So I've been told by Aritronix, makers of the Scorpio SR-i500 security system for which a Plug 'N Play wiring harness is not available. They're available for just about any other major brand. :dunno

BMW should stop being so :rolleyes about simple things such as their connectors....either that, or at least turn out a BMW security system worth buying and at the same price as the Scorpio.

GlobalRider said:
BMW should stop being so :rolleyes about simple things such as their connectors.....

I assume you know you can buy many BMW connectors from BMW, maybe not all or enough, but the cost is the issue?
Anyway, there are several BMW connector guides which have connector shells, pins, crimp tools, etc. in them with part numbers. Most BMW car shops probably have the info, and motorcycle shops seem to not.

AAMP tools most of the connectors for BMW. We have a point of contact within AAMP that we can send a connector to and they can reverse engineer a part number for us. On every BMW connector, the tooling is owned by BMW and cannot be sold to anyone else.

We may have to look at buying them thru the dealer network....it won't be good for the price per unit.

Jumper Cables

lewisec said:
We are constantly looking for new products to develop and were wondering whats on your wish list? One of our advantages since we build in the US is that we can produce in less quantity and still be able to justify a production run...obviously the more we build, the less the cost of the part. In return for the idea (for something that we can produce) is to provide the suggestor with theirs free. Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

Lewis

How about a set of dedicated motorcycle jumper cables. Small but heavy braided wire, really good gator clamps, heat shrunk, about TEN feet long.

lewisec said:

Lewis

Also, shorter jumpers, small but very high quality gator clips, to connect the dist to the coil, to connect the batt to the dist, to connect hot to anything I might want to connect it to. 3 feet is probably enuf for what I am talking about. This is side of the road in the middle of the nite stuff. All very high qual, very heat shrunk and durable. I have made these things and carry them, as I am a Harley rider, but folks might like to purchase them for their travel packs...

M1ka said:
I am looking for a jumper for the fuel pump on my Roadster.

I would like to be able to disconnect the current electrics, remove the tank and place it on a secure stand and then connect the tank and the bike using the jumper. This would allow me to run the bike and make the adjustments that are required to be made while the engine is running.

In a perfect world the jumper would be a minimum of 8 feet long, longer if possible. It should have heat shrink shielding that is high viz yellow or red so that you are less likely to trip over it.

I have the stand. I have the fuel plumbing. I donÔÇÖt have the jumper.
BMW makes such a beast - the shops have it. See your local dealer service department, I'm sure it can be ordered under "special tools"..

Panhead_Jim said:
How about a set of dedicated motorcycle jumper cables. Small but heavy braided wire, really good gator clamps, heat shrunk, about TEN feet long.
Check your local PepBoys or equivalent. Cost is about $7, come in a nice little pouch that fits nicely in a tank bag. Or go to http://www.riderwarehouse.com and pay twice that for exactly the same thing.

Burnszilla said:
I'd like to see a heat controller for electric clothing that pops right into the bmw switch holes.
I did that on my old K100RT - got the Heattroller "remote" one - and the controls and LED just fit into a blank for the BMW switches. Looked pretty trick actually..

Oh - one other thought - depends on where your BMW switches are. On the R1100RS - the factory location IMHO is way too far away to be useful, I put a switch in the same location on my R1150RS for my auxillary lights and find I have to lean way over the bars to turn it on/off.. not the best spot at all, I'm thinking of converting it to an AutoSwitch (the one that is operated my the turnsignal-cancel line..)

Panhead_Jim said:

Everything you asked for but heat shrunk:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/tools/tools-gear.htm

bitty.JPG

A few more dollars than the ones from Pep Boys, but made in the USA.

uhhhhhh ... why no Sir! Nothin' atall goin' on over here ... we'll be movin' along

Dave,

I certainly can appreciate your concern and can assure you thats not the reason for the thread. I've been a rider longer than a manufacturer. If you are looking for someone to confirm who I am, I'm fairly certain David Cwi will remember me.

My question was about the types of products people are looking for. Jim asked about a set of jumper cables which we researched awhile back. Burnszilla asked about a custom mount heat controller and I simply supplied a link and photo to another manufacturer.

I have been a member of the Goldwing forums for a number of years and have found going straight to the source for the answers to my questions makes for a better product. I understand some vendors tromp all over some forums to exlpoit them for personal gain and assure you thats not the reason for my being here.

Back