Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: What kind of electrical farkles would you like to see?

  1. #1

    What kind of electrical farkles would you like to see?

    We are constantly looking for new products to develop and were wondering whats on your wish list? One of our advantages since we build in the US is that we can produce in less quantity and still be able to justify a production run...obviously the more we build, the less the cost of the part. In return for the idea (for something that we can produce) is to provide the suggestor with theirs free. Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

    This product was the suggestion of a customer:

    http://electricalconnection.com/wire...sses/02350.htm

    Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Lewis

  2. #2
    ssls6
    Guest
    A clip-on cigarette style female power socket with 2' of chord and a BMW style male plug at the end.

  3. #3
    Registered User widebmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,141
    I would like a combo - CB, radar detector, intercom, GPS.
    About 3" X 4" X 1"
    With several different mounting brackets.

  4. #4
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    I am looking for a jumper for the fuel pump on my Roadster.

    I would like to be able to disconnect the current electrics, remove the tank and place it on a secure stand and then connect the tank and the bike using the jumper. This would allow me to run the bike and make the adjustments that are required to be made while the engine is running.

    In a perfect world the jumper would be a minimum of 8 feet long, longer if possible. It should have heat shrink shielding that is high viz yellow or red so that you are less likely to trip over it.

    I have the stand. I have the fuel plumbing. I don‘«÷t have the jumper.

  5. #5
    Registered User burnszilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    2,395
    I'd like to see a heat controller for electric clothing that pops right into the bmw switch holes.
    Stephen Burns - 2011 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

  6. #6
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,318
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisec
    Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.
    So I've been told by Aritronix, makers of the Scorpio SR-i500 security system for which a Plug 'N Play wiring harness is not available. They're available for just about any other major brand.

    BMW should stop being so about simple things such as their connectors....either that, or at least turn out a BMW security system worth buying and at the same price as the Scorpio.

  7. #7
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,798
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider
    BMW should stop being so about simple things such as their connectors.....
    I assume you know you can buy many BMW connectors from BMW, maybe not all or enough, but the cost is the issue?
    Anyway, there are several BMW connector guides which have connector shells, pins, crimp tools, etc. in them with part numbers. Most BMW car shops probably have the info, and motorcycle shops seem to not.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  8. #8
    AAMP tools most of the connectors for BMW. We have a point of contact within AAMP that we can send a connector to and they can reverse engineer a part number for us. On every BMW connector, the tooling is owned by BMW and cannot be sold to anyone else.

    We may have to look at buying them thru the dealer network....it won't be good for the price per unit.

  9. #9
    On the Road Panhead_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Mobile
    Posts
    88

    Jumper Cables

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisec
    We are constantly looking for new products to develop and were wondering whats on your wish list? One of our advantages since we build in the US is that we can produce in less quantity and still be able to justify a production run...obviously the more we build, the less the cost of the part. In return for the idea (for something that we can produce) is to provide the suggestor with theirs free. Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

    This product was the suggestion of a customer:

    http://electricalconnection.com/wire...sses/02350.htm

    Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Lewis
    How about a set of dedicated motorcycle jumper cables. Small but heavy braided wire, really good gator clamps, heat shrunk, about TEN feet long.

  10. #10
    On the Road Panhead_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Mobile
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisec
    We are constantly looking for new products to develop and were wondering whats on your wish list? One of our advantages since we build in the US is that we can produce in less quantity and still be able to justify a production run...obviously the more we build, the less the cost of the part. In return for the idea (for something that we can produce) is to provide the suggestor with theirs free. Our biggest limitation with BMW has always been connectors.

    This product was the suggestion of a customer:

    http://electricalconnection.com/wire...sses/02350.htm

    Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Lewis
    Also, shorter jumpers, small but very high quality gator clips, to connect the dist to the coil, to connect the batt to the dist, to connect hot to anything I might want to connect it to. 3 feet is probably enuf for what I am talking about. This is side of the road in the middle of the nite stuff. All very high qual, very heat shrunk and durable. I have made these things and carry them, as I am a Harley rider, but folks might like to purchase them for their travel packs...

  11. #11
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    I am looking for a jumper for the fuel pump on my Roadster.

    I would like to be able to disconnect the current electrics, remove the tank and place it on a secure stand and then connect the tank and the bike using the jumper. This would allow me to run the bike and make the adjustments that are required to be made while the engine is running.

    In a perfect world the jumper would be a minimum of 8 feet long, longer if possible. It should have heat shrink shielding that is high viz yellow or red so that you are less likely to trip over it.

    I have the stand. I have the fuel plumbing. I don‘«÷t have the jumper.
    BMW makes such a beast - the shops have it. See your local dealer service department, I'm sure it can be ordered under "special tools"..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  12. #12
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead_Jim
    How about a set of dedicated motorcycle jumper cables. Small but heavy braided wire, really good gator clamps, heat shrunk, about TEN feet long.
    Check your local PepBoys or equivalent. Cost is about $7, come in a nice little pouch that fits nicely in a tank bag. Or go to http://www.riderwarehouse.com and pay twice that for exactly the same thing.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  13. #13
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    I'd like to see a heat controller for electric clothing that pops right into the bmw switch holes.
    I did that on my old K100RT - got the Heattroller "remote" one - and the controls and LED just fit into a blank for the BMW switches. Looked pretty trick actually..

    Oh - one other thought - depends on where your BMW switches are. On the R1100RS - the factory location IMHO is way too far away to be useful, I put a switch in the same location on my R1150RS for my auxillary lights and find I have to lean way over the bars to turn it on/off.. not the best spot at all, I'm thinking of converting it to an AutoSwitch (the one that is operated my the turnsignal-cancel line..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead_Jim
    How about a set of dedicated motorcycle jumper cables. Small but heavy braided wire, really good gator clamps, heat shrunk, about TEN feet long.
    Everything you asked for but heat shrunk:

    http://www.electricalconnection.com/...tools-gear.htm



    A few more dollars than the ones from Pep Boys, but made in the USA.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger
    I did that on my old K100RT - got the Heattroller "remote" one - and the controls and LED just fit into a blank for the BMW switches.
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

    http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_...6cba6e48ec7ebd


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •